Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark1478

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
New macbook air user and loving this thing so far. Obviously the learning curve could be frustrating so help a NOOB out! Few questions

1) when downloading apps or programs, after I eject them to get off my screen, I cant find the app anymore. For example, Firefox. I downloaded it, installed it. It popped up in launchpad. I right clicked and ejected it from my main screen, now its gone. Where did it go? I did a search for it and only found the download. This has happened to my jailbreak program and various other things. Im sure its simple and stupid.
2) Can I put apps on my screen? or does it have to go in the dock? I tried to drag Pages and keynotes onto the main screen but u get the trash or smoke icon and it goes right back into the dock.

Thanks for the help!

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
1) When you download a .dmg open it then drag the application to the app folder.

2) Drag from the original folder, NOT the dock.

Nov 28, 2010
located
1) when downloading apps or programs, after I eject them to get off my screen, I cant find the app anymore. For example, Firefox. I downloaded it, installed it. It popped up in launchpad. I right clicked and ejected it from my main screen, now its gone. Where did it go? I did a search for it and only found the download. This has happened to my jailbreak program and various other things. Im sure its simple and stupid.
Have you followed the install instruction laid down here? Installing Applications in Mac OS X

If not, you probably have not dragged the application from the mounted DMG (visible on your Desktop) into the Applications folder, but either to your Dock or somewhere else.

Is the above guide enough for you to know, what you did wrong and have to do differently?

If not, can this help?

2) Can I put apps on my screen? or does it have to go in the dock? I tried to drag Pages and keynotes onto the main screen but u get the trash or smoke icon and it goes right back into the dock.

What you call a "screen" is called the Desktop in Mac OS X, or OS X, and yes, you can put applications or better, shortcuts to applications, shortcuts called aliases in Mac OS X / OS X via this method*. It is not advised to store applications outside the Applications folder, thus aliases come in handy.
In Mac OS X, what is an alias and how does it work?

• Install an application properly into the Applications folder as shown above.
  • Go to the Applications folder.
  • Select the application you want to have visible on your Desktop.
  • Press CMD+L.
  • Drag that new "alias" file onto the Desktop.
  • Done.

PS: The Dock is not a place to store actual files or applications, it is only a place to store shortcuts to files, folders or applications, thus dragging an item off the Dock makes the item disappear from the Dock (no worries, since it is only a shortcut, the actual file, folder or application is still where it should be).

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Mark1478

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
ahhhhhh ok. Thanks alot. Was installing it like I did in windows. Huge help my friend :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.