Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shly0718

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Singapore
Nowadays, those notetaking app can annotate pdf, most of them price at 5 bucks. And pdf annotation app like PDF expert and iannotate price at 10 bucks, but actually most of their function can be replace by notetaking app such as noteability. So, why they are still rated high in chart or why a lot people buy them. There must be some reasons that they do better that notetaking app(which way better in annotating I think). Is it because they can open tousands pages pdf faster or what? Or actually notetaking apps can already replace them?

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Tree major differences for me:

Annotation apps come with much better options for navigating back and forth between different sections of the PDF.

Annotation apps detect the actual text in a PDF and highlighting and underlining and so on therefore turn out much more accurate.

Annotation apps allow you to export annotations, which is a key element in my workflow.

For my purposes, this makes the additional five bucks well worth it. Your mileage may vary.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So, why they are still rated high in chart or why a lot people buy them. There must be some reasons that they do better that notetaking app(which way better in annotating I think).
No one can speak for all those people. Buy based on your needs/wants versus speculating on the reasons of others.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
No one can speak for all those people. Buy based on your needs/wants versus speculating on the reasons of others.

I have to agree with this. Apps are to a great degree based on personal need and tastes

Do you have a reason to need the other features of the note apps or at least not need added features in the more expensive PDF ones. If literally all you need is the PDF write up then check the reviews to see if there's been major reporting of issues and if not, go for one of the cheaper.

shly0718

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Singapore
True, thank you all

Actually, I currently use goodnotes app a lot to deal with all my pdf, after updates, app gets better and better, now even can search in pdf, I believe it will be even better in future updates. All I worry about is I never put pdf over 50 pages inside, so app may lag when load 1000+ pages pdf, I don't know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.