Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicpace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Canada
My thoughts on the iPad mini:

You know, I have really wrestled with the decision of which iPad to buy. I waited for the mini. Than it came out and while the weight and size of it was fantastic, the screen quality was a big let down for me. Grainy text is everywhere and is impossible not to notice. Pixels seem to just pop off the display. I really thought I was being too harsh, so I told myself to give it some time and visit the Apple store again to see if my mind would change with time. After about four or so visits to the Apple store in the last few months to compare the mini with the full size iPad, I can confirm without a shadow of a doubt, that the iPad mini has a really terrible screen. If this were released two years ago, before retina iPads, it would have been a good product - still not a great display, but not poor. But judging it by today's standards, with retina iPads, and countless other tablets offering higher resolutions, it is just awful and will not hold up well over time.

Now, I'm fully aware that I'm a "visual" person, I could care less about stereo vs surround sound, but my TV has to be 1080P, I prefer to scale up all of my games to maximum settings, and yes, I had to replace every single DVD in my collection to Blu-Ray, pretty much based on image quality alone.

However, the low resolution is not the only problem with the iPad mini. The apps themselves have been designed for the larger iPad. Every icon and tab is smaller. It kind of reminds me of the user experience of using apps on your phone, but with a little bit more breathing room. When you use a full sized iPad, I do believe the user experience is enhanced. Everything is just slightly more effortless and enjoyable.

My thoughts on the iPad 4:

The iPad 4 has a very beautiful display. Everything is sharp and crystal clear. I cannot fault it in any way. The unit itself is somewhat heavy to hold for extended periods of time and for this reason, I understand why the iPad mini has been so popular. The iPad mini has the small form factor and weight thing going for it, but that's pretty much it. The mini also has stereo speakers, which I admit is a nice feature when compared to the mono speakers found on the iPad 4. I have not compared the sound quality of the iPad mini vs the iPad 4, since retail stores are noisy, so I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you have compared or used them both.

I find the weight of the iPad 2 perfect. The iPad 3 and 4 just barely crosses the uncomfortable weight threshold for me. I noticed the increased weight immediately after comparing both of these devices. Perhaps in time one would get used to it, but that is not something I'm willing to gamble with. I never buy something unless I'm sure I'll keep it.

Right now, I am leaning towards buying the iPad 4. As I cannot accept the poor quality display in the iPad mini. As much as I love the form factor, it just feels like a product that will seem very outdated extremely quick. Once I buy an iPad, it will have to last me for many years. I'm still not certain if I'm going to hold off for the iPad 5 redesign, which is rumoured to mimic the iPad mini design and have thinner bezels and a lighter weight. That would be great, but the question is, is it worth waiting 8 months for... :apple:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Sounds like the OP has determined he values screen quality pretty highly. Buy a refurb ipad 3 and be done with it. Revisit the issue later when or if a retina Mini comes about or a lighter ipad 5 does.

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
OP I have similar thoughts to you. However I am getting by at the moment without a tablet (mulled over buying the Nexus 7 as a stopgap) and am waiting for the right Apple product to come out. A retina mini, or a lighter iPad.

If you can do without, revisit when new stuff is announced. If you need one, just get the 4th gen (do you have an iPhone 5? If so the 4th gen makes sense because of lightning adapter) or a refurb 3rd Gen for now to tie you over.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Sounds like the OP has determined he values screen quality pretty highly. Buy a refurb ipad 3 and be done with it. Revisit the issue later when or if a retina Mini comes about or a lighter ipad 5 does.

Not sure how much space he wants but do you notice the thread about the 3rd gen at Target for $299?

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Is it worth waiting for flying cars?

THIS^

You weigh up pros and cons well, borderline journalism. My question is - why didn't you do this before you purchased the iPad mini?

Visiting the Apple store to compare products four times seems to be something you do before buying a product, not after. Also, if you new you were someone who appreciates the visual aspects of products, taking into account the iPad mini's lower display would have been wise.

However..you own a fantastic product that, regardless of a lower res screen, is innovative and enjoyable to use. IMO both the mini and the original iPad are two largely different types of product and should be used accordingly. Take it for what it is - a lower spec, lower sized iPad which is lighter, more portable and versatile. I don't personally float along with the 7inch tablet range, but some things about it made you go out and buy it. Just keep thinking about those things.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Another rehash of the same old topic! iPad 4 owners are gonna hurt soooo bad when the next hardware update makes their device look like a dinner plate.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Another rehash of the same old topic! iPad 4 owners are gonna hurt soooo bad when the next hardware update makes their device look like a dinner plate.

Is this really true though? People still love their iPad 2's and they are two generations previous. Such a stupid comment.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I can't bring myself to buy an iPad Mini because if its display. It's not just resolution; the contrast and black level suffers too. I compared it side by side at an Apple Store and the difference is stark.

I have a 15"rMBP, iPad 3 and iP5. There's no reason for me to go back to non-retina, eventhough I love the form and weight of the Mini.

Be patient!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Is this really true though? People still love their iPad 2's and they are two generations previous. Such a stupid comment.

Stupid? Yes, it's true for the many here that have to have the latest and greatest. In case you hadn't noticed people do like to buy new products. You have an iPad 4, so perhaps you do to...
Easy on the insults mate, I have just resisted insulting your blog...

Last edited:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

That's ridiculous. iPad 4 is amazing. iPad 5 will also be amazing. Any of us iPad 4 owners that find ourselves 'hurting' will most likely stop the bleeding by purchasing the '5'. Until then, we'll enjoy the iPad 4!

I can't bring myself to buy an iPad Mini because if its display. It's not just resolution; the contrast and black level suffers too. I compared it side by side at an Apple Store and the difference is stark.

I have a 15"rMBP, iPad 3 and iP5. There's no reason for me to go back to non-retina, eventhough I love the form and weight of the Mini.

Be patient!

I've got the same gear as you...and an iPad mini. I enjoy it a lot...as does the entire family. I find uses all day for both. The mini is definitely the bed time reader, surfer and email fetcher. Another silly thread on why the mini isn't right for someone that can't enjoy technology that only a year ago was as good as it gets...in this form factor.

I feel for some of these folk. Just don't know what you're missing...and spending way too much time debating, not enjoying.

Life is just too damn short. Enjoy what is available, when its available. Waiting for technologies that are around the corner, coming soon...or possible next year....only means you will wait at least that long to actually use the product. To me, that sucks. It's no way to live life. If you can't afford it, that's another subject entirely...if you can, but insist on picking apart the options available, you'll never be happy...as there will always be something better on the horizon.

J

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
That's ridiculous. iPad 4 is amazing. iPad 5 will also be amazing. Any of us iPad 4 owners that find ourselves 'hurting' will most likely stop the bleeding by purchasing the '5'. Until then, we'll enjoy the iPad 4!

I've got the same gear as you...and an iPad mini. I enjoy it a lot...as does the entire family. I find uses all day for both. The mini is definitely the bed time reader, surfer and email fetcher. Another silly thread on why the mini isn't right for someone that can't enjoy technology that only a year ago was as good as it gets...in this form factor.

I feel for some of these folk. Just don't know what you're missing...and spending way too much time debating, not enjoying.

Life is just too damn short. Enjoy what is available, when its available. Waiting for technologies that are around the corner, coming soon...or possible next year....only means you will wait at least that long to actually use the product. To me, that sucks. It's no way to live life. If you can't afford it, that's another subject entirely...if you can, but insist on picking apart the options available, you'll never be happy...as there will always be something better on the horizon.

J

You just contradicted yourself. You call my statement ridiculous and then say you will be buying a 5 when it comes out. My point exactly. The hardware change will make the 4 and all previous iPads look older than any other revision there has been.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
You just contradicted yourself. You call my statement ridiculous and then say you will be buying a 5 when it comes out. My point exactly. The hardware change will make the 4 and all previous iPads look older than any other revision there has been.

Lol...learn the definition of contradict bozo. I said no such thing....NO iPad 4 owner will be 'hurting' when new hardware comes out. If they feel like upgrading, they will. I was being completely sarcastic....surprised you didn't notice.... 'Stop the bleeding' was a joke.

Again...the mini is an incredible device. As is the iPad 4. I've owned every iPad since release and expect to continue the trend.

We use them both for our business and personal life...no doubt each iteration is better than the last...hence the reason I update. No. Contradiction. At. All! I'm actually using them...enjoying them, and then upgrading them. I'm not waiting around for some technology that may or may not be available in some abstract point in time. Ridiculous.

J

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Lol...learn the definition of contradict bozo. I said no such thing....NO iPad 4 owner will be 'hurting' when new hardware comes out. If they feel like upgrading, they will. I was being completely sarcastic....surprised you didn't notice.... 'Stop the bleeding' was a joke.

Again...the mini is an incredible device. As is the iPad 4. I've owned every iPad since release and expect to continue the trend.

We use them both for our business and personal life...no doubt each iteration is better than the last...hence the reason I update. No. Contradiction. At. All! I'm actually using them...enjoying them, and then upgrading them. I'm not waiting around for some technology that may or may not be available in some abstract point in time. Ridiculous.

J

Bozo, that's smart! Send my regards to the wolves next time you step outside your log cabin.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Stupid? Yes, it's true for the many here that have to have the latest and greatest. In case you hadn't noticed people do like to buy new products. You have an iPad 4, so perhaps you do to...
Easy on the insults mate, I have just resisted insulting your blog...

Mocking something completely irrelevant. At least I stuck to your ridiculous post. I don't see a world class blog from you. Well done for resisting 'insulting' something you have zero room to insult. High 5.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Mocking something completely irrelevant. At least I stuck to your ridiculous post. I don't see a world class blog from you. Well done for resisting 'insulting' something you have zero room to insult. High 5.

28899833.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Hahaha, Anchorman quotes are always welcome (if I peer around my monitor, I can see Ron Burgundy starting at me from our wall ... :D )

Brick Tamland said:
Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.