Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
We have less than a week before the HTC One will be announced and about a month before the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be announced. These are going to be state of the art, 1080p, just about 5 inch, world class phones. They are going to have lots of other features also that will make our Iphones appear to be outdated. I fell for it the last time, moving from an Ip4 to a Galaxy S3. I enjoyed the S3, but there were several things that bothered me. The S3 would have trouble hooking up to the bluetooth in my car and the battery life was not nearly as good. When the Ip5 came out I got one the first day and have been very happy with it. I will probably be a little envious of the specs of these new phones but I am not going to switch. But if Apple comes out with a larger screen, I will jump the first day.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Not me. To me its not about screen size or processor speed or this dpi or that dpi. Its about the OS and apps. Smartphones these days are not about making calls or sending the odd text messages - they are about running your entire life from to do lists, to home and business email, to twitter , to media and on and on.

I don't about the screen size any more. I don't care that another phone is coming in 2 months that will make my phone "obsolete"! I care that the OS and the apps can do what I want them to do and above all, how I want them to do it. We're all different, we all work and play in different ways and I want to set up my phone in a way that works for me, not how some designer or engineer in Cupertino decides.

Until Apple gives up on this "one size fits all" approach to the IOS and starts letting people decide how they want their computer (yes a smartphone is a computer) to work I'll never switch back.

Apple could bring out high quality, super sexy, multiple screen size at low low prices and I still won't go back until they fix the OS.

Rant off. I think I need my morning coffee.

We have less than a week before the HTC One will be announced and about a month before the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be announced. These are going to be state of the art, 1080p, just about 5 inch, world class phones. They are going to have lots of other features also that will make our Iphones appear to be outdated. I fell for it the last time, moving from an Ip4 to a Galaxy S3. I enjoyed the S3, but there were several things that bothered me. The S3 would have trouble hooking up to the bluetooth in my car and the battery life was not nearly as good. When the Ip5 came out I got one the first day and have been very happy with it. I will probably be a little envious of the specs of these new phones but I am not going to switch. But if Apple comes out with a larger screen, I will jump the first day.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This year will be interesting....

Though OP you fail to mention the fact the Xperia Z due out soon has those features not just the M7/HTC ONE & Galaxy S4.

By the sounds of it however all the current forthcoming crop of flagship 1080p devices are going to be sharing extremely similar - if not identical specifications under the hood (S4 quad processor 1.5-1.7, 2gb ram, adreno 320 gpu, LTE, HSPA+, NFC, 13 megapixel cameras, 2 megapixel front facing) and so in regards to flagship androids it seems its going to go down to basic aesthetics preferences & each manufacturers OS skin/overlay of android.

I am buying a Xperia Z but wont be replacing my iPhone 5 (i need iMessaging) and should Apple roll out a 5" device in the fall - i'll sell both the Xperia Z and the iPhone 5 for the new device.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm glad Apple has not joined the hardware race as it seems every week a better android phone is released. Until android can produce an operating system anywhere near as stable and easy to use I will stick with iOS. Apple concentrate on the little details rather than trying to wow consumers with hardware spec's that sound cool in the geeky club. Some of us just want a reasonable sized phone than it pleasant and easy to use and doesn't crash every 5 minutes. Phones boasting massive displays, and silly processor speeds impress me very little. The fact Apple have managed to package a device that demands so little from its hardware is where the real design and innovation lays IMO.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
.... Apple concentrate on the little details rather than trying to wow consumers with hardware spec's that sound cool in the geeky club. Some of us just want a reasonable sized phone than it pleasant and easy to use and doesn't crash every 5 minutes. Phones boasting massive displays, and silly processor speeds impress me very little. The fact Apple have managed to package a device that demands so little from its hardware is where the real design and innovation lays IMO.

Sounds a lot like RIMM's business plan / rationale :D.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yep, lets wait and see the numbers on the "shipped" phones. Lol.
I don't think you even need to wait for that. Android as a whole covers most of the market with multiple manufacturers producing handsets. Apple produces for itself solely, so naturally they will always be behind when it comes to overall sales. I would imagine the HTC will do rather well in this case. Apple have never aimed for the mass market so comparison on sales is often a futile task. The real test is how the HTC One will do against the Nexus and Samsung equivalents.

----------

Sounds a lot like Rimm's business plan / rationale :D.
I think neglecting their operating system and inability to maintain a reliable server were Rims initial downfall. Their latest effort is not bad and fingers crossed it does well.

therationalist

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
Looking forward to Xperia z the most. IMO, it is going to be the first android phone with the build quality to rival the iphone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
going to be such a great year for phones. I really hope IOS 7 brings something different to the table. It is so weird how when something works so well that we still seek out something else. I have zero complaints with the i5, yet I still always am tempted by something new =/

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I'm glad Apple has not joined the hardware race as it seems every week a better android phone is released. Until android can produce an operating system anywhere near as stable and easy to use I will stick with iOS. Apple concentrate on the little details rather than trying to wow consumers with hardware spec's that sound cool in the geeky club. Some of us just want a reasonable sized phone than it pleasant and easy to use and doesn't crash every 5 minutes. Phones boasting massive displays, and silly processor speeds impress me very little. The fact Apple have managed to package a device that demands so little from its hardware is where the real design and innovation lays IMO.

It sounds like you haven't used Android for any length of time since ICS was released. The newer OSes (Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean) are a pleasure to use. Granted there is a bit of a learning curve but in a week or so, in many ways Android is easier to use than iOS. Access to settings and menus are quite fluid in Android, the notification center is well laid out, and information can be accessed much easier (many times without needing to go into an app at all).

iOS has many strengths as well but I don't think you have given Android a fair shot

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
This year will be interesting....

Though OP you fail to mention the fact the Xperia Z due out soon has those features not just the M7/HTC ONE & Galaxy S4.
I'm pretty sure that The M7/HTC ONE will either feature the latest Tegra chip, or one of the newer Qualcomm chips, and not the S4 Pro. The S4 Pro is a screamer in my Nexus 4, but I've never had a phone get so hot on me.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Apple could bring out high quality, super sexy, multiple screen size at low low prices and I still won't go back until they fix the OS.

I would to love to hear what needs to be fixed. Because iOS is pretty stable. So don't give me a list of things you wish it did. Give me a list of things that are actually broken with iOS.

On a side-note, I am actually very excited to see what HTC has planned for this phone. Samsung could definitely use some more competition on the android front

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

Cmon android crashing every 5 min?If you have some time watch these few videos of what can be done on android that is innovating and taking market share away from ios.

http://youtu.be/9nh2NSLgaII

http://youtu.be/HBkY3vg14JM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nh2NSLgaII&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
It's nothing to do with being stable. I didn't say there was anything broken with IOS - what I meant by fixed was that Apple needs to (in my opinion) relax a little and let people set up their Apple phone to suit how they work, not how Apple things we should do it.

To me IOS is just too restrictive - its like a Windows or a Mac laptop but you can't change anything - you can't arrange the desktop to suit your needs, you can't choose this email client or that email client. Imagine if your mac laptop had these restrictions. You'd go crazy.

Smartphones are not phones any more. They are computers but Apple thinks it should still "manage the experience" because they know better. That works ok with users that are not good with technology and that's ok if that's the market Apple are after. However for a good chunk of the market this kind of restriction is not ok and that's why I jumped to Android.

I would to love to hear what needs to be fixed. Because iOS is pretty stable. So don't give me a list of things you wish it did. Give me a list of things that are actually broken with iOS.

On a side-note, I am actually very excited to see what HTC has planned for this phone. Samsung could definitely use some more competition on the android front

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Android is quite stable. I tend to go several months without rebooting my phone. The only time I reboot my phone is when I am updating. As for app crashes, I've yet to have a single app crash on my N4...and I've had it since November. By the way, if you think Android is difficult to use, perhaps you should look into getting a flip phone. My two year old operates his N7 tablet on his own, including the multitasking. So if my two year can manage to use it, and you find it difficult....I think that says more about you than anything.. :eek:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It sounds like you haven't used Android for any length of time since ICS was released. The newer OSes (Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean) are a pleasure to use. Granted there is a bit of a learning curve but in a week or so, in many ways Android is easier to use than iOS. Access to settings and menus are quite fluid in Android, the notification center is well laid out, and information can be accessed much easier (many times without needing to go into an app at all).

iOS has many strengths as well but I don't think you have given Android a fair shot
My first Android phone was a HTC tattoo back in 2009 and I've had two further HTCs. My last handset was a Samsung S3 white 32GB which I owned for 4 months so I do think I am qualified to have the opinion I have right now. I'm not anti android at all and will no doubt own another handset in the future but right now I am of the opinion iOS is nicer to use. I watched android evolve and liked every one of my phones. I won't be told I have little experience of something just because my opinion differs slightly I'm afraid.

----------

Android is quite stable. I tend to go several months without rebooting my phone. The only time I reboot my phone is when I am updating. As for app crashes, I've yet to have a single app crash on my N4...and I've had it since November. By the way, if you think Android is difficult to use, perhaps you should look into getting a flip phone. My two year old operates his N7 tablet on his own, including the multitasking. So if my two year can manage to use it, and you find it difficult....I think that says more about you than anything.. :eek:

I have a feeling after you read my above post you'll feel slightly stupid about resorting to childish insults. I don't know why people like you take something as trivial as consumer choice so seriously. I don't share your opinion so why not question my intelligence? Rather immature I think.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
My first Android phone was a HTC tattoo back in 2009 and I've had two further HTCs. My last handset was a Samsung S3 white 32GB which I owned for 4 months so I do think I am qualified to have the opinion I have right now. I'm not anti android at all and will no doubt own another handset in the future but right now I am of the opinion iOS is nicer to use. I watched android evolve and liked every one of my phones. I won't be told I have little experience of something just because my opinion differs slightly I'm afraid.

Right and your GS3 crashed every 5 min,unreal bro

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm pretty sure that The M7/HTC ONE will either feature the latest Tegra chip, or one of the newer Qualcomm chips, and not the S4 Pro. The S4 Pro is a screamer in my Nexus 4, but I've never had a phone get so hot on me.

It's a Qualcomm indeed (actually that's the one I meant)

"The latest rumour from HTCSource suggests that the HTC M7 specs include a quad-core Qualcomm processor (predictably), a 4.7-inch 1920 x 1080 (full HD) display and 32GB of internal storage, with no microSD card slot.

This matches the previous run of rumoured specs, which also detailed 2GB of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera and 2-megapixel front-facing camera."

Which is the same as the Xperia Z
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-5204.php

"Qualcomm MDM9215M / APQ8064"

and likely the same processor as going in the S4 :)

So yeah basically all these new ones are going to be much the same hardware wise under the hood which is actually a really good thing, because we will see some decent optimisation for Apps to take advantage of the 2013 flagship hardware :)

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I like bigger screens, and since Apple doesn't like to give me that in the phone department, i would rather use android since for all my mobility tasks my gs3 was more pleasure to use than my current jailbroken iPhone 5.

That is also why an iPad mini is more attractive to me than a Nexus 7. Bigger screen wins again irrespective of which camp should i choose. Wish there was a Nexus 8.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to be rude... just wanted you to experience current Android. From the way you worded your first post I made an incorrect assumption. My apologies

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to be rude... just wanted you to experience current Android. From the way you worded your first post I made an incorrect assumption. My apologies
No need to apologise perhaps I was a little blunt in my response to you sorry. Android has been growing over the last few years and is only going to get better. I was just commenting that at this moment in time in my opinion iOS is better for me. I'm not brand loyal on anything and if I like something enough I will buy it. When my current contract is up I may well return to android if the phone is right. Of course with any purchase there are things we miss and prefer. :)

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Hardware wise, I think apple can hold their own. It's the OS and features that apple needs to improve on to catch up to the competition since the competition has already passed them by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.