Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:52 AM   #1
sfoxy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Issues with booting from Firewire SSD with other Drives Attached

Hi,

I have trawled google on this and can't find anything (difficult one to search for). But I have just switched my boot / Mountain Lion installation to an SSD external firewire 800 drive. With just that attached to the Firewire port, everything is peachy, boots really fast and everything in OS is great.

However, if I also have one or both of my WD My Book firewire drives diasy chained, then the SSD struggles to boot. It's very slow, and after about 15 minutes, the logon screen finally appears, and then it takes ages after typing in my password.

After that, once in OS, then everything is fine again.

I have been disconnecting the 2 WD drives whilst booting and then re-connecting after boot, but that is a pain.

So, I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what is causing this?

Thanks.
sfoxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Kansas City
Do you have your external SSD specified as the boot drive? It sounds like it is looking on you other drives for a boot partition and trying to boot from them. You can specify this in your Preferences.
__________________
13" 2012 MBA/i7/8GB/256GB
24" 2008 iMac/2.8GHz/6GB/240GB SSD & 2TB FW800 HDD "Fused"
2GB TC; ATV 3; 32GB iPad 4; iPhone 5
Left Nikon for Fuji X-E1, Fujinon 18-55mm OIS, 55-200mm OIS, 27mm f/2.8
Mike in Kansas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:09 AM   #3
sfoxy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Kansas View Post
Do you have your external SSD specified as the boot drive? It sounds like it is looking on you other drives for a boot partition and trying to boot from them. You can specify this in your Preferences.
Thanks for the reply.

If you mean in 'Startup Disk' in preferences, then yes I do. As I say it does eventually boot but takes an awful long time.

Is there somewhere else to specify as the boot drive?
sfoxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Outrigger
macrumors 68000
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoxy View Post
Thanks for the reply.

If you mean in 'Startup Disk' in preferences, then yes I do. As I say it does eventually boot but takes an awful long time.

Is there somewhere else to specify as the boot drive?
Maybe you should try using a thunderbolt adapter for your SSD as firewire is REALLY holding back the point of even using SSD. Its like driving your Ferrari during rush hour traffic.
__________________
iMac | Intel i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB Fusion | GTX 680MX
Mini | Intel i5 2.5GHz | 8GB RAM | 750GBSSD | AMD 6630M
rMBP 13 | Intel i5 2.6Ghz | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
sfoxy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
Maybe you should try using a thunderbolt adapter for your SSD as firewire is REALLY holding back the point of even using SSD. Its like driving your Ferrari during rush hour traffic.
It's a 2010 iMac so hasn't got Thunderbolt. I know what you are saying, but even on Firewire once booted I am seeing a huge difference. I know the Read / Wrote times are slower than the internal disk, but the random reads and writes are much better and there isn't the constant slogging of the disk to listen to either! Definitely worth the upgrade in my eyes.

Actually considering getting a kit to fit it internally now.
sfoxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Outrigger
macrumors 68000
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoxy View Post
It's a 2010 iMac so hasn't got Thunderbolt. I know what you are saying, but even on Firewire once booted I am seeing a huge difference. I know the Read / Wrote times are slower than the internal disk, but the random reads and writes are much better and there isn't the constant slogging of the disk to listen to either! Definitely worth the upgrade in my eyes.

Actually considering getting a kit to fit it internally now.
didn't know what year yours was. There is some degradation when you daisy chain firewire devices. I'm really not sure what the solution would be other than disconnecting your other 2 drives during boot. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help.
__________________
iMac | Intel i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB Fusion | GTX 680MX
Mini | Intel i5 2.5GHz | 8GB RAM | 750GBSSD | AMD 6630M
rMBP 13 | Intel i5 2.6Ghz | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
sfoxy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
didn't know what year yours was. There is some degradation when you daisy chain firewire devices. I'm really not sure what the solution would be other than disconnecting your other 2 drives during boot. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help.
Thanks anyway.
sfoxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Fishrrman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"However, if I also have one or both of my WD My Book firewire drives diasy chained, then the SSD struggles to boot. It's very slow, and after about 15 minutes, the logon screen finally appears, and then it takes ages after typing in my password."

Questions:
When you boot, do you have ALL your daisy-chained drives on?
Or some?
Or none?

It might be necessary to have all the drives in the chain on.
Or, perhaps you can get away with one on but the other off.
Only way to find out what works is to experiment (and keep notes).

Actually, perhaps the best solution is to just unplug the "downstream" drives until you're ready to use themů.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
sfoxy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post

Questions:
When you boot, do you have ALL your daisy-chained drives on?
Or some?
Or none?
Have tried all combinations and the only one that works is having just the SSD on, but that means having to keep unplugging the others when booting, which I am trying to avoid. It is the solution I am using at the moment but would rather not.
sfoxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Fishrrman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"Have tried all combinations and the only one that works is having just the SSD on, but that means having to keep unplugging the others when booting, which I am trying to avoid. It is the solution I am using at the moment but would rather not."

By "unplugging", do you mean
1. unplugging from the firwire chain "behind" the SSD, or
2. unplugging from the wall to turn them off?

If the answer is 2, do this:
- buy a small power strip
- plug the firewire drives (and nothing else) into the power strip
- this way, you can leave the power strip "off" until booted, then, one reach down to "flip the switch" gets everything going.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Booting MP6,1 from disk attached to 27" Thunderbolt bxs Mac Pro 4 Mar 11, 2014 11:44 PM
Booting with external USB attached finally works in latest build of Mavericks. DarwinOSX OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Feb 7, 2014 01:07 PM
Any 2012 owners having issues with NON-TOSHIBA SSD drives? clyde2801 MacBook Air 2 Sep 16, 2013 02:25 AM
Post Upgrade Issues with MP.2008 - Random SSD lag - sleeping drives - radeon 6870- Phrygian Mac Pro 1 Sep 30, 2012 11:26 AM
SSD issues with booting jim.bright17 Mac Pro 3 Jul 7, 2012 06:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC