Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:04 PM   #251
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
I do not see a reason for Apple to "test the waters" when it comes to prices. This happened when the MacBook Air first launched and are we seeing a redux with the Retina hardware? SSD/NAND prices have also tanked hard in the past 6 months.

Other vendors tend to adjust prices much more quickly and ship newer hardware out the door closer to its initial release. All of this component information is easily available elsewhere but Apple still plays the game as if they have control of the mystery box.
Apple sells a differentiated product. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. compete primarily on specs and price, and they also don't have their own networks of retail stores, so they will change prices more often.

It could also be that Apple deliberately kept the 13" price high during the holidays to keep demand manageable. They might have done too good a job, which is why the price drop came sooner rather than later, but I was predicting on other threads a few weeks ago that we'd see a $1499 base rMBP and $1699 256GB version. I just figured it would come with Haswell this summer, rather than with the Ivy Bridge refresh in February. Now I wonder if well see a $1299 Haswell model.
KPOM is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:06 PM   #252
stueee123
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-V View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. I still feel they need more powerful graphics for their displays.
What are you basing that off of? I have the 15-inch retina, and 90% of the time it runs on the Intel 4000, without a problem. That being said, better graphics is always a plus
stueee123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:07 PM   #253
jlin615
macrumors regular

Is 2.7 i7 quad-core processor mentioned in this early 2013 model identical to the one in the 2012 CTO model?
jlin615 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:09 PM   #254
BigMacAttack1
macrumors regular

Conundrum--suggestions appreciated:

I bought my first mac, a refurbished 13" MBA w/8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and i7 processor. It's been 13 days. I'm wondering if I should return it today/tomorrow and purchase a refurbished 13" rMBP w/8GB RAM, 256 SSD, and i5 processor for about $100 less than what I paid for my MBA. I'm mostly using this for surfing the web, downloading music/movies, and some light word processing. Thoughts? Thank you!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:11 PM   #255
e-coli
macrumors 68000

I was really hoping they'd increase the video performance of these. They're very laggy under load. A high-res 15" with SSD performs significantly better.

Pretty disappointing.
e-coli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:14 PM   #256
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Apple sells a differentiated product. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. compete primarily on specs and price, and they also don't have their own networks of retail stores, so they will change prices more often.
Apple's back end and prestige delusion drives up their prices? I can believe that and that is why I laugh at their first run retail pricing.

Quote:
It could also be that Apple deliberately kept the 13" price high during the holidays to keep demand manageable. They might have done too good a job, which is why the price drop came sooner rather than later, but I was predicting on other threads a few weeks ago that we'd see a $1499 base rMBP and $1699 256GB version. I just figured it would come with Haswell this summer, rather than with the Ivy Bridge refresh in February. Now I wonder if well see a $1299 Haswell model.
Now that is something I can get behind. Christmas, year after year, is the worst time to buy new computer hardware. You should be waiting until after CES and failing that after Computex. So that is a June-October window.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:15 PM   #257
muuhamed
macrumors member

Seems to me Australia played a role in this new pricing
muuhamed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:15 PM   #258
AppleMad98004
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger92 View Post
You would be surprised to see just how many are on the campus where I work. The majority of students have macbook/pro/air (more than windows laptops) and many of them are retina based.
Totally agree. I've seen many Retina MacBooks at the UW here in Seattle. I think students see the value of crisp sharp text since they are doing their school work constantly. Whether Office, iWork or engineering, the sharper screen makes all the difference
AppleMad98004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:16 PM   #259
willmtaylor
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
I go to a college in a very affluent area. Only two students at my college that I'm aware of have a rMBP. Everyone has either a MBA, cMBP, or iPad. Nice try, though.
"An affluent area," huh? Ok, congrats?

I teach college in a relatively poor and rural area (especially compared to Chi-town); your observations don't dictate my reality. Sorry.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:16 PM   #260
mikecorp
macrumors regular

So any other changes? WIFI AC

I will buy a new MBP, but only with WIFI AC!!
mikecorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:19 PM   #261
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
Apple's back end and prestige delusion drives up their prices? I can believe that and that is why I laugh at their first run retail pricing.
Just because other manufacturers sell at razor-thin margins doesn't mean they want to. They have no other choice since they don't have much else to differentiate their products. The whole point of Intel's Ultrabook product was to increase average selling prices of notebooks. Apple has its own OS, and a customer base that places a premium on their designs. They are likely still getting 40% margins with the new pricing.
KPOM is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:20 PM   #262
scottish
macrumors 6502

Still expensive but much better prices in the UK now. I'm glad in some ways that I purchased my cMBP in December as if I was choosing now it would be a much more difficult decision.

It's nice to see $200 = £200. I'd have thought we'd get a £100 decrease based on the US price drop.
scottish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:22 PM   #263
skaertus
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Apparently, the "compete in specs and price" that Tim Cook said really caught up among Apple fans and will be repeated through exhaustion. It turned into an undisputed reality and I've seen this phrase repeated in this forum a thousand times since it was reported that Tim Cook said that.

Here's the treat, folks: Apple ALSO competes on specs and price. Apple launched a 128 GB iPad just after Microsoft released the Surface Pro; and now Apple is dropping the price and raising the specs of specific models of its MacBook Pros and Airs, ahead of the expected release schedule, and before the launch of Haswell. Apple has this whole "experience" marketing, but, believe me, (lots of) consumers are no fools.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:23 PM   #264
wingsabre
macrumors regular

I believe that intel recently announced that they've started mass production of Haswell chips, which means that they've lowered the price for current inventory.
wingsabre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:25 PM   #265
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

This is epic.
I nearly bought a refurbished high end cMBP. But something told me to wait. So I did.
Now I can configure the standard with 1GB GPU and the 2.6 i7, while leaving the RAM and HDD stock. 200 cheaper, YEAAAAH!!! I allready have an SSD to replace the HDD with and the RAM is much cheaper elsewhere. I only actually want the 1GB GPU. They want 250 to go from 2.6 to 2.7 i7??? Whaaaat
This move was very unlike apple, I wonder what drove them to do it.

Im also very impressed that they lowered the prices on the 13" rMBP.

Respect
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985

Last edited by The-Pro; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:26 PM   #266
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Thank you Apple. Please keep up the good work.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:27 PM   #267
AppleMad98004
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsabre View Post
I believe that intel recently announced that they've started mass production of Haswell chips, which means that they've lowered the price for current inventory.
I agree this is a price change for the Intel core that Apple is passing alone.
AppleMad98004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:27 PM   #268
ahall52
macrumors newbie

I have a quick question as I have never timed my purchases so close to a refresh: Are the upgraded models available in the store immediately?

I planned on buying a 15" rMBP (base) on Friday morning in the local Apple Store...
ahall52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:29 PM   #269
Berserker-UK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadwickS View Post
Quote:
Apple just cut the price on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display... bought one in Aug- can I get the difference, Steve? - Rocco Pendola (@Rocco_TheStreet)
August! I don't know what the statute of limitations are for Apple anger at new products, but I think you've broken it.
And more to the point, who's Steve? Unless of course this person is a spirit medium and the question was asked using an Ouija board!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:30 PM   #270
skaertus
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsabre View Post
That's probably not the reason for the price drops, as Apple is supposed to keep the pricing strategy in the next refresh. Seems like a permanent price point, since it seems to be moudling the pricing of its MacBook Series (it already discontinued the top-range 15-inch non-retina MacBook Pro).

I see the following reasons for the price drop: (i) retina displays and flash storage are likely cheaper now than a few months ago; (ii) fierce competition from Windows laptops, with Surface Pro being sold out and ultrabooks being upgraded with 1080p displays; and (iii) slow sales of the 13-inch retina models (if Amazon.com chart is to be believed, the 13-inch retina model was selling less than other Apple models, including the more expensive 15-inch retina, what leads to believe that consumers were not seeing much value in this particular model).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:33 PM   #271
BrockC
macrumors regular

Well this is disappointing to a 15" rMBP owner. And I ordered on release day, I can't imagine how I would feel if I had purchased one around the holiday's!
BrockC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:34 PM   #272
DaveOP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahall52 View Post
I have a quick question as I have never timed my purchases so close to a refresh: Are the upgraded models available in the store immediately?

I planned on buying a 15" rMBP (base) on Friday morning in the local Apple Store...
I bought mine locally last week, and have a close friend who works at the Apple Store. I am going to swap this one to the refresh, and he said they are expecting their stock early next week sometime.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:34 PM   #273
Fireball Dragon
macrumors regular

Sad news for early adopters (me).
Fireball Dragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:37 PM   #274
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

I feel sorry for all those who spent 1300 on 768GB flash option.
its 400 now
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:38 PM   #275
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post

Here's the treat, folks: Apple ALSO competes on specs and price. Apple launched a 128 GB iPad just after Microsoft released the Surface Pro; and now Apple is dropping the price and raising the specs of specific models of its MacBook Pros and Airs, ahead of the expected release schedule, and before the launch of Haswell. Apple has this whole "experience" marketing, but, believe me, (lots of) consumers are no fools.
I never said Apple doesn't care about specs or price. However, they don't rely solely on specs and price to differentiate themselves. I've also said this long before yesterday's Goldman Sachs conference.

Of course they compete on specs and price, but they also compete based on their market image and their proprietary operating systems. Dell and HP can't do that. They also compete on their designs. Others have tried, but few have succeeded there (Samsung with smartphones being a notable exception). They can't trot out Core 2 Duo machines in 2013 (though they did as late as May 2011), and evidently $1699 was a bit of a stretch for the rMBP, but they aren't going to be continually tinkering with prices and specifications the way other companies do. They will do so at product refresh dates, which usually come once or twice a year. Mid-cycle refreshes of the MacBook Pro are nothing new. They did this in November 2011. Large price drops are also nothing new. They did this with the original iPhone in September 2007, the MacBook Air in October 2010, and now the rMBP. However, we won't see a $50 price drop next month, or the 2.7GHz i5 option being added to the base 13" the way we might with others.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Pro View Post
I feel sorry for all those who spent 1300 on 768GB flash option.
its 400 now
$700. It's still a big drop, though. That was across the board. Apple's NAND pricing finally caught up with reality. SSDs have been $1/GB for almost a year now.
KPOM is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion