Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:59 AM   #26
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Well I'm surprised.. But I'm going to hold on til the Haswell refresh. Does this mean that we won't see updates til much later in the year?
CJM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:59 AM   #27
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
So nobody was buying them...
Nonsense, it's because people have being buying them they're lowering the pricing. I know several people with a rMBP, only one has the 13" so Apple are doing something right here.

Obviously just another "Apple is Doomed" post. What a load of...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:59 AM   #28
nexusrule
macrumors regular

Quote:
Actually if you look at Apple price history you will notice that they systematically lower prices of products that use new, expensive technology (like retina display) 6-8 months after release due to optimization in production. It's always happened and it will no doubt happen again with the new iMac in summer/autumn.
nexusrule is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:00 AM   #29
moxxey
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob17 View Post
No Price Change in the UK Store
No mate, look more carefully, the pages haven't been updated at all. All the specs are the previous model.

Apple UK haven't updated anything yet.
moxxey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:00 AM   #30
Tigger92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
All the college kids have Retina MacBook Pros?
You would be surprised to see just how many are on the campus where I work. The majority of students have macbook/pro/air (more than windows laptops) and many of them are retina based.
Tigger92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:00 AM   #31
kyjaotkb
macrumors 6502

No love for Europe, though. Prices are still difficult to swallow...
http://store.apple.com/fr/browse/hom...ly/macbook_pro
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:00 AM   #32
samcraig
macrumors G5

"The PC industry over the years, the way that companies competed were two things: specs and price. And so people would want to say, "I've got the largest drive," or, "I've got the fastest processor," or in the camera business people began to say, "I've got the most megapixels."

The truth is, customers want a great experience, and they want quality. They want that "Aha!" moment each time that they use the product. And that's rarely a function of any of those things. These are things that technology companies invent because they can't have a great experience, and so they talk about the spec of something.
- Tim Cook
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:00 AM   #33
Ivan0310
macrumors member

Quote:
I would think not--most things I've read about it say that the display is woefully underpowered. Apple needs to seriously upgrade the GPU to fix performance issues. Plus, there wasn't enough price difference compared to the 15" rMBP, so people probably were opting for it instead given its better performance.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:01 AM   #34
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I've predicted that apple would update the mbp to ivy in march.
So we shall see haswell mbp in late 2013 then around oct or nov
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:01 AM   #35
mbarriault
macrumors regular

Undoubtably people going to blame this on "decreased sales" and "Apple's end is here" etc. I think it's more likely that it's a step towards the Retina models replacing the non-Retina, which they can't do so long as they are more expensive. Time passes, component prices go down, and they can decrement the price at a good pace, rather than wait and wait and wait and BOOM their halo laptop line goes down by $500 each, upsetting the profits, supply chains, and people who recently bought the non-Retina models.
mbarriault is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:01 AM   #36
wschutz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post
Hah. Walk around a college campus, ANY college campus and see how long you can hold onto that thought. Nice try though.
I think the comment is more lined up on the fact that Apple is not selling as many as it used to, or if you want it in another words... people are not replacing their laptops as often they used to

And I am one of those who won't replace the mac for a very long time. I have a MBP from 2011... and it serves all my needs (the retina display is appealing but for my use I prefer a good external monitor, and I don't want to pay for a new laptop when I don't need it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post
Undoubtably people going to blame this on "decreased sales" and "Apple's end is here" etc. I think it's more likely that it's a step towards the Retina models replacing the non-Retina, which they can't do so long as they are more expensive. Time passes, component prices go down, and they can decrement the price at a good pace, rather than wait and wait and wait and BOOM their halo laptop line goes down by $500 each, upsetting the profits, supply chains, and people who recently bought the non-Retina models.
Apple's end is a fact. Regardless of the cost of the parts... innovation is something that Apple did in the past (and more than innovation it should be named as challenging the competitors by including technologies from others in their devices), and now is just a manufacturer of laptops and phones.
Its competition has taken over, and the revolution is over. Now it is time to share the market with the competitors who actually compete on both technology and price, the latter being something Apple still thinks is not worth fighting for (but we'll see how that changes as sales get hurt over time
wschutz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:02 AM   #37
The Samurai
macrumors 68000

Common sense prevails
The Samurai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:02 AM   #38
anzio
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
"The PC industry over the years, the way that companies competed were two things: specs and price. And so people would want to say, "I've got the largest drive," or, "I've got the fastest processor," or in the camera business people began to say, "I've got the most megapixels."

The truth is, customers want a great experience, and they want quality. They want that "Aha!" moment each time that they use the product. And that's rarely a function of any of those things. These are things that technology companies invent because they can't have a great experience, and so they talk about the spec of something.
- Tim Cook
This still holds true. The site mentions the increase in performance and reduction of price. However, it doesn't gloat about it being its only feature. The retina page boasts OS X features and the experience.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:02 AM   #39
skaertus
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney468 View Post
When do you guys think the Haswell refresh will happen? I'm in dire need of a new laptop, but I can wait a couple months if it means a new Processor/spec bump. Fwiw, I'm interested in the 15" rMBP
Haswell is being released in June. However, I have no idea of when Apple plans to upgrade the 15-inch model to feature these processors, especially if the refresh came in February (although a minor one). The new 15-inch models can come as early as June, but they may come later (which is more likely), in July or August, perhaps.

That's an interesting move for Apple. I didn't think price drops were coming so early.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:02 AM   #40
Hakone
macrumors 6502

This makes better sense.
Hakone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:03 AM   #41
Andy-V
macrumors 6502

Quote:
When do you guys think the Haswell refresh will happen? I'm in dire need of a new laptop, but I can wait a couple months if it means a new Processor/spec bump. Fwiw, I'm interested in the 15" rMBP
It'll be a little while yet, June/July time.
Andy-V is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:03 AM   #42
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

I love my 15" MacBook Pro, but the minute they make a retina MacBook Air, I'm sold!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:06 AM   #43
iSunrise
macrumors regular

Quote:
Haswell should happen between May 27 and June 7, 2013. Not sure when Apple decides to refresh them, but it should happen pretty soon afterwards.
iSunrise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:07 AM   #44
KPOM
macrumors G3

Nice move by Apple. Hopefully this jumpstarts sales. It's a great product.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:07 AM   #45
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
I love my 15" MacBook Pro, but the minute they make a retina MacBook Air, I'm sold!
Better yet, a retina macbook air 15 inch. THAT would be incredible. Doubt it will ever happen though
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:08 AM   #46
garybUK

No update to the 15" on the UK Store......
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:09 AM   #47
MsQueen
macrumors member

Can someone explain what the Haswell refresh is? I keep seeing it mentioned.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:10 AM   #48
syd430

So the base model 13" rMBP still has the same processor?
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:10 AM   #49
ajkst1
macrumors member

Price drop could also signal that they've cut the cost of making them? I know it goes against the reasoning that lower costs equals a higher margin, but maybe Apple is setting up for a Retina only MBP lineup? While Retina Airs sound amazing, I still think they require a bit more oomph then they have.

Also, take a look at the pricing scheme of the current lineup without the 13" Non-retina MBP:

Macbook Air: 11" $999/$1099
Macbook Air: 13" $1199/$1399
Macbook Pro: R13" $1499/$1699
Macbook Pro: 15" $1799
Macbook Pro: R15 $2199/$2799

I see the 13" Non-Retina Macbook Pro going away soon. It doesn't "fit". If they can bring the pricing on the 15" RMBP to $1999/$2499 (a similar drop to what the 13" RMBP saw), Then maybe you could make the argument that the 15" MBP could go away as well. Retina displays on the MBP, regular displays (and longer battery life) on the MBA.

Just a thought.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:10 AM   #50
iDemiurge
macrumors regular

In the UK they lowered the price of the base model by 200 but did not introduce the new ones yet.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion