Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
So, I was offered two iBook G4 machines and some accessories for 135 dollars including shipping.

First machine is fully working iBook G4 1.42GHz with 1.5GB RAM but only 30GB hard disk. It comes with mighty mouse, charger and installations disks. Battery lasts only 45 minutes.

Second machine is 1.33GHz 12" and has defective hard disk and that famous Airport problem. Not sure but apparently it does boot so I could either make the clamp fix or remove whole airport/bt card and use external USB WLAN. No information about the RAM, 512MB is onboard of course. No information about battery but charger is included. This machine comes with carrying bag but no installation disks.

I have spare 100gigabyte hard disk and Leopard installation media. I'm thinking about buying those and trying to make the 12" model usable, switch 30GB hard disk to it and then sell it with mention about the Airport defect, if it works flawlessly with the Airport card removed.

Good or bad deal? It is again that same situation where I am tempted to buy old Macs for project even though I have no use for them. :)

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I think it's a good deal. Especially considering you already have a couple upgrade parts ready for them to increase their value.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
So, I was offered two iBook G4 machines and some accessories for 135 dollars including shipping.

First machine is fully working iBook G4 1.42GHz with 1.5GB RAM but only 30GB hard disk. It comes with mighty mouse, charger and installations disks. Battery lasts only 45 minutes.

Second machine is 1.33GHz 12" and has defective hard disk and that famous Airport problem. Not sure but apparently it does boot so I could either make the clamp fix or remove whole airport/bt card and use external USB WLAN. No information about the RAM, 512MB is onboard of course. No information about battery but charger is included. This machine comes with carrying bag but no installation disks.

I have spare 100gigabyte hard disk and Leopard installation media. I'm thinking about buying those and trying to make the 12" model usable, switch 30GB hard disk to it and then sell it with mention about the Airport defect, if it works flawlessly with the Airport card removed.

Good or bad deal? It is again that same situation where I am tempted to buy old Macs for project even though I have no use for them. :)

It's a GREAT deal considering I got my iBook G4 12" 1.33GHz 1.5GB RAM and 40GB HDD for $149!

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
The seller contacted me again today and said that the 12" iBook booted normally and seems to work, atleast during the time he tested. 14" has been in his own use, 12" has been used by his relative, might be that the problem is not Airport card but something else and even if it is, it sounds like it can be "fixed" by just removing the card. If I sell it the clamp fix is not something I wish to do, instead just say that the AP slot is bad.

With fastest G4 for iBook, full RAM upgrade, 100GB disk swap and possibly new battery from eBay it's a nice Apple machine from 2005. Only downside is the display resolution, 1024 x 768 was ok for 12".

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2013
yes yes yes , lol they sound stolen, but oh well , if your not going to use them, you could just resell them for about 100$ - 150$ profit

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Good deal? I can buy G4 ibooks on vanc craigs for 60-100 all the time...i would pass ( if you really want ppc laptop),look for a good deal on a powerbook.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Well I ended up buying them, I will receive them next week. The iBook G4 12" does have the Airport defect but seems to work otherwise, the seller said that maybe the previous user didn't diagnose it correctly.

Atleast here where I live fully upgraded 2005 iBooks sometimes go for that 135 dollars alone so I'm pretty sure that I can get atleast half of my money back when I sell the 12", despite the defect. We'll see.

EDIT: Apparently the 12" accepts OS as the seller says he his now reinstalling it, 60GB disk inside so maybe I don't need to use my 100GB. Better check with some S.M.A.R.T -tool first.

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Well I ended up buying them, I will receive them next week. The iBook G4 12" does have the Airport defect but seems to work otherwise, the seller said that maybe the previous user didn't diagnose it correctly.

Atleast here where I live fully upgraded 2005 iBooks sometimes go for that 135 dollars alone so I'm pretty sure that I can get atleast half of my money back when I sell the 12", despite the defect. We'll see.

EDIT: Apparently the 12" accepts OS as the seller says he his now reinstalling it, 60GB disk inside so maybe I don't need to use my 100GB. Better check with some S.M.A.R.T -tool first.

I think you got a great deal. As I said, I got my iBook(which saw little heavy use since it was initially sold to an educational institution) fully upgraded for $149. It's been working perfectly and I have not noticed an airport defect in my machine. I also loaded it up with a bunch of apps and use Geektool on it now to the extent that my desktop is AWESOME. I just wish that these machines could run Snow Leopard. It's not a huge upgrade, but the ability to minimize windows to their icon would be awesome. Anyway, I would be happy with that deal if I were you. Have fun.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Got those machines now. They are in pretty good condition, the 14" has some black stuff which I believe can be cleaned. Has all the specs promised. 12" one boots but the seller did not finish installing OS so I will have to do that. I can't remember correctly but should I see Airport icon already in the stage where it asks second disk (Tiger OS) ? If I should, there is none so maybe Airport is not detected at all. I haven't tried all the resets, my iSight camera once disappeared from my iMac G5 after some updates and SMU (or was it called SMC with PPC machines, can't remember) reset brought it back.

It would be great if the 12" would be fully working after all, then I would sell the 14" instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.