Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Hi all, if I manually tell my Mac Pro to sleep it will, and stay asleep till I wake it, but it won't sleep on its own? Any ideas?

Last edited:

telequest

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
NJ
What are your Energy Saver settings?

Also, more details on your MP model and boot disk type would help. Though I'm not sure how much I'd be able to help. I've got my own ongoing problem were my MP won't wake up from sleep (see this thread)

It may be that failure to wake/sleep has to do with certain SSDs when used as boot disks. But no clear pattern that I know of. Hoping others can help.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Do you happen to be running any virtualization software on it that you have not closed? I have noticed that behavior on mine if I leave VMware Fusion open on occasion. Otherwise, do you have any Ambien you can give it? :D

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Do you happen to be running any virtualization software on it that you have not closed? I have noticed that behavior on mine if I leave VMware Fusion open on occasion. Otherwise, do you have any Ambien you can give it? :D

Nope. Nothing like that.

noodlehead

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
common problem, easy solution

These Mac Pros do this. It is annoying. You want it to actually sleep, meaning there is a slow pulsing light on the box and no sounds. You will see all kinds of advice to check secondary drives, usb devices, etc. You can do all that, or just install "PleaseSleep". It is free and simple and works. I LIKE having a second HD, a Logitech mouse, a thumb drive plugged in. I shouldn't have to worry that it may keep my MP from sleeping. The Energy Saver should put the thing to sleep if I ask it to--not just turn off the screen. Jeez, Apple, figure this out. It has been going on for years. Don't hold your breath, folks, try JustSleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.