Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Official Formula One Apps Launch Ahead of 2012 Season

Formula One's official timing apps have launched just ahead of the first race of the 2012 season, taking place this weekend in Australia.

The full-priced app, F1 2012 Timing App CP, written by Formula One partner Soft Pauer, offers live timing, tire data, race control messages, track positioning and more in real-time for the entire Grand Prix weekend, across Practice, Qualifying and the race itself.

The app is $28.99 in the US, 19.99 in the UK. It does not include any live audio or video race feeds.

The free "lite" version skips the live timing and other real-time features in favor of news feeds from Formula One.com, session results, a race calendar, and event countdowns and notifications when a session or race begins.

The lite version of the F1 2012 Timing App is free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

The live timing-equipped F1 2012 Timing App CP is available for $28.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Official Formula One Apps Launch Ahead of 2012 Season
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
besweeeet
Banned

Talk about a rip-off, but I guess F1 fans are used to paying too much for things.
besweeeet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Clothesline5246
macrumors member

I'd love it! but 20 for the year is far too much!
Clothesline5246 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Never tried the app, but if the paid version would permit you to choose any camera live and view it, it would be quite worth it for fans.

Image picking the in car camera during a battle fight for 1st place (or 2nd place if it happens to be like Dijon 1979...)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:10 PM   #5
testcard
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeeet View Post
Talk about a rip-off, but I guess F1 fans are used to paying too much for things.
Bernie's got to eat!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:11 PM   #6
besweeeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
Never tried the app, but if the paid version would permit you to choose any camera live and view it, it would be quite worth it for fans.

Image picking the in car camera during a battle fight for 1st place (or 2nd place if it happens to be like Dijon 1979...)
That's exactly what everybody wants, but it'll never come, unless we pay out the a$$ for that privilege.
besweeeet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:14 PM   #7
jamesr19
macrumors 6502

At 1 per race that's not much (especially if you're unable to watch one live - maybe abroad or not with a strong internet connection).

It would be much nicer to be able to pay per race that you want to use the app for. That would certainly be a nicer way of charging for the app and offering a discount for the subscription.

Is this actually an official app; or is it just the only one thats good and uses the correct data feeds??

GTX World: http://www.gtxworld.com
jamesr19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:15 PM   #8
nsfw
macrumors regular

I'm guessing the majority of US F1 fans, are watching on "dvr delay". Pretty much renders services like this useless.

Are we still only getting SD video feeds this year as well?
nsfw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
besweeeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr19 View Post
Is this actually an official app; or is it just the only one thats good and uses the correct data feeds??
I'm going to assume that it's the official one, as I doubt F1 would ever let something like this through unless it came from them.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfw View Post
I'm guessing the majority of US F1 fans, are watching on "dvr delay". Pretty much renders services like this useless.

DVR delay? SPEED shows the races every time in HD, and live.
besweeeet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:20 PM   #10
SalsaShark
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfw View Post

Last year was the first year in true HD. Before that for a few years it was ED (standard resolution, but widescreen).
SalsaShark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:20 PM   #11
jmnikricket
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

They need to take a cue from the March Madness model :-/
jmnikricket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:21 PM   #12
SalsaShark
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeeet View Post
DVR delay? SPEED shows them live every race in HD.
Yes, he said DVR delay, not broadcast delay. East-coasters are probably only marginally-likely to watch live at 8am on a Sunday. West-coasters, decidedly less at 5am. Especially since the races tend to put you right back to sleep.
SalsaShark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:29 PM   #13
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

do we really need an app for this?

Seems rather expensive.
charlieegan3 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:34 PM   #14
slicecom
macrumors 68000

The app is cool, and I get up and watch every quali and race session live, but I'm not paying $30 for this. I'll just continue to use the live timing on their F1's website for free. Add a live feed and I'd pay $100 per season no problem.
slicecom is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:50 PM   #15
rmwebs
Banned

Word of advice. If you live in the UK DO NOT BUT THIS APP. The same info is available freely on BBC's driver tracker - it runs as an mp4 stream and works fine with iOS devices.

If you own last years app you can tweak a few config files and it'll load this years data into it and work

Even outside the UK you can hop onto the official f1 site and view the same info for free.
rmwebs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:50 PM   #16
iamdouche
macrumors newbie

To be fair the app does have benefits. On the way back from the champions league final last year I 'watched' the entire Monaco GP utilising the gps tracker, live timing plus streaming BBC Radio 5 Live. It was one of the most enjoyable races I watched given I didn't see a single bit of footage until the following day.

Aside from that note that people who have sky sports in the uk then they can use the multi-camera options & tv streaming via the sky sports iPad app when on the move.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-spo...s-for-ipad-app
iamdouche is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:52 PM   #17
shartypants
macrumors 6502a

This is priced waaay too high, I think they would get a lot more revenue at $1.99, at that price I would buy it just to see the cars go around, but at nearly $30 I'll pass!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:52 PM   #18
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdouche View Post
To be fair the app does have benefits. On the way back from the champions league final last year I 'watched' the entire Monaco GP utilising the gps tracker, live timing plus streaming BBC Radio 5 Live. It was one of the most enjoyable races I watched given I didn't see a single bit of footage until the following day.

Aside from that note that people who have sky sports in the uk then they can use the multi-camera options & tv streaming via the sky sports iPad app when on the move.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-spo...s-for-ipad-app
Not sure whats going on with the Sky Sports app tho. It's been missing from the AppStore completely :/
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:00 PM   #19
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Far too expensive.
steve-p is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:15 PM   #20
nickelt
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did I hear someone say Apptrakr??

Last edited by nickelt; Mar 13, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
nickelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:22 PM   #21
JUiCEJamie
macrumors 6502a

With SkyGo now available for iPad/iPhone, I just don't understand why Formula1 charge so highly for this app?

We all know that reduced prices in apps create a much higher download rate!!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:23 PM   #22
topmounter
macrumors 68000

I bought the app for the 2010 season and it is very cool, but since I always watch the races from my DVR, it is pretty much worthless.

I know they'll never do it because they want people watching live at 6AM so they can't FF through the public service announcements, but I wish they would add the ability to sync the app to the audio coming from the television.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:28 PM   #23
nickelt
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmounter
I bought the app for the 2010 season and it is very cool, but since I always watch the races from my DVR, it is pretty much worthless.

I know they'll never do it because they want people watching live at 6AM so they can't FF through the public service announcements, but I wish they would add the ability to sync the app to the audio coming from the television.
Maybe not from audio sync but i thought you can already re-run races after the event ie start it when you watch it on dvr
nickelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:28 PM   #24
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a

I would pay more for this if it had HD video feeds on top of the timing info! I did wake up at 7am or whatever a few times last year to catch races live, would rather still be in bed with iPad! I don't think solely using the app. and not watching HD video on TV would be very fun.

Anyone going to Austin this year? I'm thinking of heading out there for the race!
iPod nano 7th Generation Black
Nicky G is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:29 PM   #25
Richdmoore
macrumors 6502a

Simply let me watch the 2012 races either live or on demand, and I will buy the app and subscription. Make them an in app purchase for the free model, it's found money for Bernie.....

Even if you could simply offer the races as a tv show on iTunes the next day or two, would be better than nothing.

Since F1 won't allow that, because I am a cable cord cutter, I will simply have to torrent the racing broadcasts again this year to watch F1.

(Indycar/CART use to have an on demand/previous races available to watch later service, but they dropped the service the last couple of years. Boo....)
Richdmoore is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion