Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
They announced Mountain Lion on Thursday February 16 2012... maybe they'll announce 10.9 tomorrow? That's assuming they're continuing with the yearly OS cycle.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
If so, it'll be a let down I fear.

These fast cycles leave no time for innovation. Each successive release will simply seem like "updates" to the former.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

These fast cycles leave no time for innovation. Each successive release will simply seem like "updates" to the former.

I don't know about that.

Haven't you looked at Ubuntu? There's a huge amount of difference between 11.04 and 12.04. >_>;

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Now how the heck does Ubuntu get dragged into an OSX 10.9 thread? :confused:

"1 year isn't enough time for innovation" is a blanket statement that I wanted to freaking prove wrong. It is definitely enough time.

I'll explain it for you, just in case you still don't understand.

Person A: Yearly releases? That's never enough time for something big and innovative!
Person B: What about *good example here*?
Person A: What does that have to do with this? I was busy talking about how yearly releases can't be innovative!

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
They announced Mountain Lion on Thursday February 16 2012... maybe they'll announce 10.9 tomorrow? That's assuming they're continuing with the yearly OS cycle.

Why tomorrow? Why not next week, this friday or next month?

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Because Apple tend to do things in patterns, making "events" sort of predictable.

Yeah tomorrow is not the 16th of February. 10.8.3 isn't even out yet, i think we will have to wait a couple of weeks. Apple can also announce it in March or whatever.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Yeah tomorrow is not the 16th of February.

Nope, but they usually "do stuff" on a Tuesday or Thursday right?

If they do some under the hood stuff to make OS X faster, that would be amazing. But unfortunately, I fear they'll just slap more iOS stuff onto an already bloated OS...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Lion version 10.7.3 came out Wednesday Feb. 1st 2012 then 10.8 was released to devs about 2 weeks later. If this is any indication we might see 10.8.3 today sometime and 10.9 in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

I agree...also it puts huge strain on independent developers and users.

In a span of August 2010 - August 2012, Apple had 3 OSes in two years. A developer would either abandon users or try to maintain 3 versions of their app. Abandoning users obviously is a huge letdown for users, while maintaining that many versions uses a lot of resources (financial and employees).

With this yearly cycle, Apple barely refines its buggy OSes (ex. Lion is a buggy slow mess and obviously users won't be getting updates for it anymore). By the time an OS is 6 months old, Apple is already beta-ing a new OS.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Lion DP1 for Lion was available Feb 24th 2011, Mountain Lion was available Feb 16th 2012. Both of these days are Thursdays.

If Apple stick to that pattern we should be 10.9 DP1 tomorrow or Thursday next week.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I wasn't being serious, even if this wouldn't be surprising. It was just a general criticism to the way OS X has been updated over the last years...too much fluff from iOS and zero under-the-hood improvements or true innovative steps (FusionDrive excepted, perhaps).

And power nap. I thought that was fantastic.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I wasn't being serious, even if this wouldn't be surprising. It was just a general criticism to the way OS X has been updated over the last years...too much fluff from iOS and zero under-the-hood improvements or true innovative steps (FusionDrive excepted, perhaps).

If you hate fluff from iOS, you'll not like the next version. So far, we're quite certain we're getting Maps and Siri.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney

Which do you think delivers usable features to user sooner?

a) Big Showcase Features - that are complex, can be buggy for a year due to lack of field testing and developers don't adopt because it's to big a change so they have to plan in the change.

b) Smaller incremental releases, that can break a big features into smaller independently useful features, so each of the smaller units gets field tested and developers can make smaller tweaks to take advantage of them.

To me b) certainly gets the piecemeal parts of improved function useful sooner, if not the full effective function. Might not be as fun but sure is more valuable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.