Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
danadana12
macrumors newbie

What 2 do iPad 2 ? [broken screen]

hi

i need advice. i have a ipad2 3g 16gb. my kid dropped it screen is busted. i can

A: continue to tape it with packing tape every now and then
B: give apple $250 to replace it
C: sell it on ebay and start over with the proceeds from that
D...... what else is a worthwhile remedy?

thank you
danadana12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:45 PM   #2
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by danadana12 View Post
hi

i need advice. i have a ipad2 3g 16gb. my kid dropped it screen is busted. i can

A: continue to tape it with packing tape every now and then
B: give apple $250 to replace it
C: sell it on ebay and start over with the proceeds from that
D...... what else is a worthwhile remedy?

thank you
Forget taping as the damage is always in your face.

If you are going to give Apple $250 to replace it, then why not a few dollars more and get a new mini.

Then sell on Ebay to recover some cost back.

Try to fix yourself. Outcome: it works or does not work.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:47 PM   #3
marcoity
macrumors newbie

i think you should sell it on CL or Ebay. Add whatever you get on top of 250 and get mini or the 3/4gen iPad, depending on what you get on selling it.
marcoity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:53 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Not sure if Apple offers AppleCare+ on $250 replacements but if they do then spend the $250 and buy AppleCare+ for it.

OR

Sell on eBay
Get a new iPad with AppleCare+ so when your kid destroys it you can replace it for $100 twice!

OR

Avoid AppleCare+ and keep it away from the kids.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Not sure if Apple offers AppleCare+ on $250 replacements but if they do then spend the $250 and buy AppleCare+ for it.
They do. If it was bought recently. As in since the ipad 3s came out. Anything before that is no Apple Care +

So my answer would be it depends on when it was bought. If it's out of warranty then no it probably isn't worth it to buy a replacement which only gets like a 60 day warranty on it (and no damage coverage in that). Be open about it being a busted screen and see who might buy it on ebay. Use the money to pay up to a mini or a new full sized iPad as one desires.

or you could chance it on one of those unauthorized repair shops. Just know that Apple won't let you buy a replacement anymore if they can spot that the screen was replaced. It's considered intentional damage at that point. So I wouldn't do it if the ipad is still under warranty. If it's not then it might be worth the risk, just make sure you are backing up anything on it you might need in case it works for a few days and then borks.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:29 PM   #6
danadana12
macrumors newbie

i really appreciate the information. i think i will sell it on ebay/cl see what i can get then buy a new one.

does apple let you every buy a different model? if i add to the 250 to buy a mini lets say? or it has to be like for like?

much appreciated.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:33 PM   #7
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
does apple let you every buy a different model? if i add to the 250 to buy a mini lets say? or it has to be like for like?
All Genius Bar service is like for like including storage size and unit color
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:55 AM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Check craigslist for someone who can repair the screen for less than the 250. If not, 250 will probably buy you a used iPad2.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:22 AM   #9
NYRangers11
macrumors member

I thought that applecare+ has to be purchased within a month of the iPad purchase? Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
They do. If it was bought recently. As in since the ipad 3s came out. Anything before that is no Apple Care +

So my answer would be it depends on when it was bought. If it's out of warranty then no it probably isn't worth it to buy a replacement which only gets like a 60 day warranty on it (and no damage coverage in that). Be open about it being a busted screen and see who might buy it on ebay. Use the money to pay up to a mini or a new full sized iPad as one desires.

or you could chance it on one of those unauthorized repair shops. Just know that Apple won't let you buy a replacement anymore if they can spot that the screen was replaced. It's considered intentional damage at that point. So I wouldn't do it if the ipad is still under warranty. If it's not then it might be worth the risk, just make sure you are backing up anything on it you might need in case it works for a few days and then borks.
NYRangers11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:22 PM   #10
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers11 View Post
I thought that applecare+ has to be purchased within a month of the iPad purchase? Is that correct?
In general yes. But if you damage it in the first year they will let you buy it at time of incident along with your full price replacement
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:31 PM   #11
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
In general yes. But if you damage it in the first year they will let you buy it at time of incident along with your full price replacement
That is not their official policy, in fact it is the complete opposite. Please stop spreading false information. Just because it has happened on occasion is no reason to try and make it sound like it happens all the time.
brand is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:32 PM   #12
itsmefudge
macrumors member

Check CL for guys who will replace the screen. I found one here in Hawaii that will do it for under $200. Just another possibility, especially if you don't NEED to upgrade.
itsmefudge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:57 PM   #13
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
That is not their official policy, in fact it is the complete opposite. Please stop spreading false information. Just because it has happened on occasion is no reason to try and make it sound like it happens all the time.
I've taken in a dozen broken iPads myself as well as seen it with other folks while I was there and these were at a variety of stores in several states. So I'd say yeah it is official policy and you are the one needing to get your facts straight. Because it sure as heck would appear that yes it is official policy that you can buy Apple Care plus at time of incident in the first year with a full priced 'out of warranty' replacement. In fact there's a line for it in the app they use for the paperwork. Doesn't get more official than that. Or more 'happens all the time' than that,
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:29 AM   #14
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I've taken in a dozen broken iPads myself as well as seen it with other folks while I was there and these were at a variety of stores in several states. So I'd say yeah it is official policy and you are the one needing to get your facts straight. Because it sure as heck would appear that yes it is official policy that you can buy Apple Care plus at time of incident in the first year with a full priced 'out of warranty' replacement. In fact there's a line for it in the app they use for the paperwork. Doesn't get more official than that. Or more 'happens all the time' than that,
Apple's official policy is below. Unless you can provide other documentation from Apple backing up what you state as official then be quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A/applecare-for-ipad
You have 30 days from your iPad purchase to buy AppleCare+.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:59 PM   #15
thirdeyeopen666
macrumors regular

Quote:
It is the official policy.
thirdeyeopen666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:23 PM   #16
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeyeopen666 View Post
It is the official policy.
Then you should be able to provide documentation as such.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:33 PM   #17
danadana12
macrumors newbie

thanks again. i sold it for 300 and just bought an ipad mini.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:12 PM   #18
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Wait, you sold your iPad 2 16GB 3G with a broken screen for $300? WOW!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:12 PM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
That is a great deal, congrats.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:27 PM   #20
danadana12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Wait, you sold your iPad 2 16GB 3G with a broken screen for $300? WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
That is a great deal, congrats.
Yes I was happy and loving the mini [IN A CASE]

thanks again all.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:29 PM   #21
brand
macrumors 68040

Did the buyer happen to mention their intentions? Seems very strange that they would pay that much. Good for you though.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:42 AM   #22
danadana12
macrumors newbie

Not really. He said he was good at fixing them though.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad