Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's 2013 Product Roadmap Predictions: Multiple iPhones, Retina iPad Mini, All-Retina MacBook Pros

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a very good track record in predicting Apple's product plans, has issued a new research report outlining his expectations for Apple's 2013 product launches. Kuo believes that Apple will focus its launches on the third quarter of this year, with a number of updates throughout the company's various product families.

- iPhone: Kuo expects that Apple will introduce both an iPhone 5S and a revamped iPhone 5 around June or July of this year, with the iPhone 5S appearing very similar to the current iPhone 5 but carrying a number of upgrades including an A7 system-on-a-chip for better performance, a fingerprint sensor, and camera improvements such as an f2.0 aperture and a smart LED flash. He also believes that the lower-cost iPhone will in many ways simply be an iPhone 5 repackaged into a slightly thicker (8.2 mm vs. the current 7.6 mm) plastic enclosure available in six colors.

- iPad and iPad mini: Kuo forecasts that Apple will update both lines during the third quarter of the year, with the iPad mini gaining a Retina display as the most notable change. He also predicts that the full-size iPad will become considerably slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.

- MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models. Kuo also believes that Apple will tweak the design of these thinner Retina MacBook Pros, despite having just introduced the current form factor last year.

- MacBook Air: Retina displays remain a challenge for the MacBook Air given their relative thickness, and Kuo predicts that they will not be appearing in the 2013 MacBook Air lineup. Kuo believes that a move to Intel's forthcoming Haswell platform will be the main upgrade for the machines, with the update coming perhaps as soon as late in the second quarter.

- Desktops: Kuo notes that the iMac redesign has been well-received, but it appears that he does not see Retina displays coming to the lineup in 2013. He simply predicts a shift to the Haswell platform for the iMac and Mac mini in the fourth quarter of the year. Kuo's report does not address a new Mac Pro, even though Apple CEO Tim Cook had personally shared that a significant update for the line was due in 2013.

- iPod touch: Apple will reportedly discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch, which is currently being sold alongside the new fifth-generation models. In order to fill the gap, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce a scaled-back fifth-generation model with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera at $199.

- Apple TV: Kuo predicts a minor update to the existing Apple TV product as soon as late this quarter, but he offers no details on what the update would entail. He also notes that Apple's more substantial television effort is unlikely to appear in 2013, with content issues and a lack of experience in the television set industry pushing things back until 2014.

Article Link: Apple's 2013 Product Roadmap Predictions: Multiple iPhones, Retina iPad Mini, All-Retina MacBook Pros
MacRumors is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:07 PM   #2
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Apple will launch new phones, tablets, and notebooks in 2013.

As you can see by my statement above I am a highly respected analyst who put great thought into my prediction.
3N16MA is offline   111 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Basically there are two theories of modifying Apple's iOS software and hardware release dates: Move them back to late Spring/early Summer, or keep them in mid Fall. Mac news and trends have been the same for years and aside for the retina MBP we can expect the same annual bumps with minimal changes.

iPhone: Kuo expects that Apple will introduce both an iPhone 5S and a revamped iPhone 5 around June or July of this year, with the iPhone 5S appearing very similar to the current iPhone 5 but carrying a number of upgrades including an A7 system-on-a-chip for better performance, a fingerprint sensor, and camera improvements such as an f2.0 aperture and a smart LED flash. He also believes that the lower-cost iPhone will in many ways simply be an iPhone 5 repackaged into a slightly thicker (8.2 mm vs. the current 7.6 mm) plastic enclosure available in six colors.

I think we'll see a 5S sooner than summer, Spring, and then a 6 around the same time as the past few years, Fall. I don't see them changing the 5, but maybe dropping the 4 and 4S and filling the gap with the iPhone mini?

- iPad and iPad mini: Kuo forecasts that Apple will update both lines during the third quarter of the year, with the iPad mini gaining a Retina display as the most notable change. He also predicts that the full-size iPad will become considerably slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.

Reasonable, but I don't think they'll wait until the Fall with tablet competition heating up.

- MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models. Kuo also believes that Apple will tweak the design of these thinner Retina MacBook Pros, despite having just introduced the current form factor last year.

They need the regular MBP line for another year or so ... some people still want all of the I/O and user upgradable internals, not to mention great hardware per price point.

- MacBook Air: Retina displays remain a challenge for the MacBook Air given their relative thickness, and Kuo predicts that they will not be appearing in the 2013 MacBook Air lineup. Kuo believes that a move to Intel's forthcoming Haswell platform will be the main upgrade for the machines, with the update coming perhaps as soon as late in the second quarter.

Agreed with no retina, not much more they can do with the air at this point ...

- Desktops: Kuo notes that the iMac redesign has been well-received, but it appears that he does not see Retina displays coming to the lineup in 2013. He simply predicts a shift to the Haswell platform for the iMac and Mac mini in the fourth quarter of the year. Kuo's report does not address a new Mac Pro, even though Apple CEO Tim Cook has personally shared that a significant update for the line was due in 2013.

Probably not retina because the screens are so large, but again not much more room for innovation here ...

- iPod touch: Apple will reportedly discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch, which is currently being sold alongside the new fifth-generation models. In order to fill the gap, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce a scaled-back fifth-generation model with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera at $199.

Duh. They should focus on price point though, iPods seem to be on the way out the door ...

- Apple TV: Kuo predicts a minor update to the existing Apple TV product as soon as late this quarter, but he offers no details on what the update would entail. He also notes that Apple's more substantial television effort is unlikely to appear in 2013, with content issues and a lack of experience in the television set industry pushing things back until 2014.

If not 2013, then when? Hopefully the current Apple TV is updated

Last edited by Dwalls90; Jan 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Dwalls90 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

iPhone for the middle class! Yay!
Tiger8 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:09 PM   #5
PlayRadioPlay
macrumors regular

If they don't upgrade the Mac Pro in 2013, I will be buying a desktop PC.

I love Apple, but this is really getting insane.

I have work to do, Apple, and I'm not upgrading to the current Mac Pro.
PlayRadioPlay is offline   50 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:12 PM   #6
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Just plaster blue dots all over that timeline for the Pro.
InuNacho is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

A6 processor for the AppleTV? Not really sure what they could do with it... without a major software update.
gmanist1000 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

A cheaper iPod Touch with no rear camera? Dream on. If anything, it will be the current 5th generation and simply at 8 or 16GB for $199. This is just a bunch of guessing. I highly doubt Apple would save almost every update for one quarter. How is that even feasible logistically?
myrtlebee is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:15 PM   #9
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
So more or less nothing in the first half year, except for a minor updated AppleTV and the air at the end of second quarter.

I also do not believe Apple will redesign the rMBP.
justperry is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:17 PM   #10
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post

Apple is an appliance company now. They're alright at designing phones, tablets, and very thin laptops. But their desktop line is hopeless.

My next laptop might be an Air. I will, however, definitely be building my own desktop when I feel like I need to upgrade.
Pakaku is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:17 PM   #11
sshambles
macrumors regular

iPod Classic refresh please (HDD increase).
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Carlanga
macrumors 601

I could have predicted the same thing. It is easy to keep a good record when your predictions are small.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:21 PM   #13
irDigital0l

If this is true 2013 is going to be even worse than 2012...
irDigital0l is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:22 PM   #14
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502

I have to agree on the Macbook Air part. There is no way retina can make its way into it this soon, 2014 at the soonest. Let 2013 be the year Retina takes over the Pros. (all of them)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:22 PM   #15
akfgpuppet
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to akfgpuppet
An iPod touch with out a camera is just stupid, how is a feature like face time supposed to work?
akfgpuppet is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:25 PM   #16
Dr Charter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
If this is true 2013 is going to be even worse than 2012...
How so?
Dr Charter is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:26 PM   #17
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfgpuppet View Post
An iPod touch with out a camera is just stupid, how is a feature like face time supposed to work?
What on earth makes you think they will remove the camera?!?!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:26 PM   #18
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Android Fanboy : Samsung is better at making Spaceshuttles.

Apple Fanboy : I love retina, I dunno how you use 720 , honestly.

Fantasist: Steve Jobs' droppings are more talented that all of you

Macrumors member : Hate everything that I buy, Buy Everything I hate.

Me: Oh just quit B#@$$#@.
Ventilatedbrain is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:28 PM   #19
turtlez
Banned

I guess my processing iMac order will come in Q4 this year then
turtlez is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:29 PM   #20
kenypowa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfgpuppet View Post
Apparently you missed the part only the rear camera is removed for the cheaper iPod Touch.
kenypowa is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 PM   #21
KPOM
macrumors G3

I don't see anything more than spec bumps for the rMBP line. There really is no reason for anything more radical. They are brand new designs, and only now, more than 6 months after the 15" rMBP was released, is a Windows PC OEM (Acer) even talking about a Retina-like display (AnandTech is reporting that Acer has a 2880x1620 screen in the works).

I'd give the cMBP one more year, but Apple might surprise us.

I also agree the Air isn't getting a Retina Display yet, but hopefully we'll see some higher resolution options. 1920x1080 is becoming more common in this space. Even 1600x900 would be a step up for the 11.6" model.
KPOM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 PM   #22
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post

If they are gonna put out a new Mac Pro they will do it very soon, wait another 2 months tops if not jump to a build your own.
turtlez is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:31 PM   #23
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Prices will stay the same. Retina displays are not cheap, and the 2nd wave of Ivy Bridge processors (more efficient than the 1st wave) is also not cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
- [b]- iPod touch: Apple will reportedly discontinue the fourth-generation iPod touch, which is currently being sold alongside the new fifth-generation models. In order to fill the gap, Kuo believes that Apple will introduce a scaled-back fifth-generation model with 8 GB of storage and no rear camera at $199.
iPod touch is overpriced. People can buy cheaper smartphones with Wolfson Audio ICs.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:31 PM   #24
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular

Nothing for the first 6 months of the year? No way. Investors are already feeling shaky and the stock is doing terrible. No product releases for 6 more months would be market suicide. I think we'll see the redesigned iPad, as well as the retina iPad mini sometime around March. I also think we'll see an iWatch released in the first 6 months. New iPhones in June. I guess cheap iPhones as well, but I have my doubts. I think we'll also see a redesigned Mac Pro in the first 6 months of the year. It would be nice if they released a new redesigned thunderbolt retina display to go with their pro machines. That of course would lead to retina iMacs towards the end of the year.
WhoDaKat is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:32 PM   #25
ufwa
macrumors regular

Please stop posting anything from this guy.

He has NEVER come out with a single original thing.

Every of one his analyst/sources are AFTER numerous other blogs have put out things.

He culls together numerous rumors and ignores the ridiculous/far fetched stuff.

Iphone 5s? Cheaper model? really where have we heard these before.
ufwa is offline   23 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion