Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:07 PM   #1
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Is Jailbreaking an iPod touch illegal?

Is Jailbreaking an iPod touch illegal?

Last edited by AppleDeviceUser; Aug 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
AppleDeviceUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
glsillygili
macrumors 6502

*facepalm* i think we need a stickied faq on this forum
glsillygili is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:30 PM   #3
borgqueenx
macrumors 6502a

no. an iphone is allowed but all other devices are forbidden. for thinking about the possibilities you probaly have a fine of 500usd send to your home already. go think of your sins.
borgqueenx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
no. an iphone is allowed but all other devices are forbidden. for thinking about the possibilities you probaly have a fine of 500usd send to your home already. go think of your sins.
No? It's in the "grey" area just like the ipad which means its not illegal or legal...
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetonyk123 View Post
No? It's in the "grey" area just like the ipad which means its not illegal or legal...
Jailbreaking the iPhone and iPod Touch have been made legal by the 2010 and 2013 DCMA exemptions. Jailbreaking the iPad and Apple TV 2+ is illegal and always has been as set forth by the original laws within the DCMA pertaining to circumventing device encryption.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
borgqueenx
macrumors 6502a

Why so serious^^
borgqueenx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Jailbreaking the iPhone and iPod Touch have been made legal by the 2010 and 2013 DCMA exemptions. Jailbreaking the iPad and Apple TV 2+ is illegal and always has been as set forth by the original laws within the DCMA pertaining to circumventing device encryption.
I never understood how the touch got included in the exemption. As I understand it, the reason why iPhones got the exemption was so you could unlock it to use with your choice of carrier. Since touches don't have carriers, unlocking them isn't an issue.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
I never understood how the touch got included in the exemption. As I understand it, the reason why iPhones got the exemption was so you could unlock it to use with your choice of carrier. Since touches don't have carriers, unlocking them isn't an issue.
They are exempted because they are explicitly stated in the exemption along with the iPhone. The iPad did not exist at the time and the Apple TV was still Mac OS X based.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
They are exempted because they are explicitly stated in the exemption along with the iPhone. The iPad did not exist at the time and the Apple TV was still Mac OS X based.
I know that. I mean why was it included? What was the reasoning behind including it in the exemption along with the iPhone?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
I know that. I mean why was it included? What was the reasoning behind including it in the exemption along with the iPhone?
It was included because Saurik, the person who submitted the exemption, felt that the only other iOS device as the time should be included as well. If it was to be submitted today instead of renewed, other iOS devices would likely be included as well.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:51 PM   #11
mon999
macrumors newbie

Quote:
maybe because it is your own damn device and you can do anything u want with it. obviously, installing cracked apps is illegal.

it is just like modifying your car.. you can do that as long as you don't install stolen parts.
mon999 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Netherscourge
macrumors 6502

Who cares? It's not like they are coming to toss you in jail for putting SBSettings on your iPod...
Netherscourge is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Wafflausages
macrumors 6502

Yea if you jailbreak your touch and they find out you get a 100000 fine and some jailtime. I wouldn't do it if I were you
Wafflausages is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:50 AM   #14
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

I am just trying to be safe, I don't want to do anything illegal. I won't install any pirated Apps. (I pay for everything even if I can get it for free by pirating it)
I still don't know if I can jailbreak legally or not
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:53 AM   #15
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
If you are jailbreaking an iPhone or iPod Touch in the United States, it is legal.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:55 AM   #16
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you are jailbreaking an iPhone or iPod Touch in the United States, it is legal.
Thanks, how about Canada?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Thanks, how about Canada?
I'm sure.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:46 PM   #18
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That's what I thought. I thought I saw on the jailbreak subreddit iPod touches were in the gray area. Must've been wrong, thanks for correcting.
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Fatalbert
Banned

Who cares? Nobody is going to stop you, and you're not hurting anyone. But it is legal at the moment.
Fatalbert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:09 PM   #20
TheShadowXX
macrumors regular

who cares

#YOLO
TheShadowXX is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #21
gngan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I am just trying to be safe, I don't want to do anything illegal. I won't install any pirated Apps. (I pay for everything even if I can get it for free by pirating it)
Do you seriously think cops will arrest you for jailbreaking?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:15 PM   #22
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngan View Post
Do you seriously think cops will arrest you for jailbreaking?
No, but it could put a bad mark on my record.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:05 PM   #23
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
No, but it could put a bad mark on my record.
I thought the only way for the police to put anything on your record is to arrest you. Well, they can give you tickets for traffic violations, but it isn't like there are tickets for jailbreaking your devices.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:37 PM   #24
pnyc
macrumors 6502

If you're this seriously concerned talk to your lawyer. Otherwise grow a pair and jailbreak away. If you're so horrified of the posible consequences why would you trust the opinion of random forum posters on something that seems so scary/important to you? I'm not trying to be mean but really if you're this worried get some serious advice from a source you can depend on.

Out of curiosity are you this concerned about possibly doing something illegal in other areas of your life?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:51 PM   #25
brittag
macrumors newbie

iPod touches are in a legal grey area in the United States, neither clearly legal nor clearly illegal. See the explanation on JailbreakQA's evasi0n help page - it includes background information useful for understanding this:

Quote:
Is jailbreaking legal in the United States?

We aren't lawyers, so we can't tell you for sure, but jailbreaking seems to be OK. A law in the United States, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), has an anti-circumvention clause which states that if there is a protection mechanism on a piece of software, a user is not allowed to bypass that protection. Jailbreaking may fall under that clause, but in 2012 the Library of Congress renewed an exemption for jailbreaking cell phones such as iPhones. A proposed exemption for jailbreaking tablets (such as iPads) was declined, but this doesn't necessarily mean that jailbreaking iPads is now illegal. It means that it's still a legal grey area - in other words, there's never been a DMCA exemption for jailbreaking iPads, and there still isn't one, but it's unclear whether the DMCA actually makes jailbreaking illegal in general. Jailbreaking iPod touches also falls into this grey area. If you are outside the United States, some countries have anti-circumvention laws with various exceptions and conditions, so please research the laws of your country to make sure jailbreaking is not prohibited for you - this may be a helpful place to start. Keep in mind that if you are pirating things, that is copyright infringement, which is illegal in most places.
brittag is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks