Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Hey guys

Not long now before I receive my new imac 27 i7, 1TB fusion with 680mx and 8gb ram.. hopefully here in a week.

I do a lot of video editing these days (fcpx, premier pro etc) and had every intention to buy 32gb ram (probably crucial) BUT do I really need that much?

Am I being self indulgent here by maxing out the ram??

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
There will never be a time in this lifetime for a computer to have too much ram. Go for it, especially for your needs. You certainly can't go wrong, right?:)

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
You'll be satisfied with the 8 trust me, if you feel like you need to expand on it. I'd say either add another 8gb, or 16gb.

32 is a bit overkill, from someone who edits videos and does heavy gaming on my own computers. I never exceed 10 or 12 at most pushing my computer, at this point 32gb is just a bragging point. There's almost no one out there that even reaches that amount in use actively and if someone here does I'd like some proof at the very least.

You'll be okay with one of the smaller upgrades trust me.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
You'll be satisfied with the 8 trust me, if you feel like you need to expand on it. I'd say either add another 8gb, or 16gb.

32 is a bit overkill, from someone who edits videos and does heavy gaming on my own computers. I never exceed 10 or 12 at most pushing my computer, at this point 32gb is just a bragging point. There's almost no one out there that even reaches that amount in use actively and if someone here does I'd like some proof at the very least.

You'll be okay with one of the smaller upgrades trust me.

I'd say 16GB is probably today's safe zone. I've pushed the 8GB limit from time to time whilst using Xcode with a few other things open. Especially if I'm using PS to edit graphics for a game and then testing right away.

Grand Central is brilliant but not perfect.

Anyway if you can afford 32GB then go for it. Certainly can't do any harm.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Maybe I am focusing on the wrong thing, i use a 21.5 dual core with 16gb 1067 ram and the machine struggles with video for sure

fine for dreamweaver and photoshop etc

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Maybe I am focusing on the wrong thing, i use a 21.5 dual core with 16gb 1067 ram and the machine struggles with video for sure

If it's struggling, that doesn't necessarily mean it's from lack of ram, especially since you say you are using a dual core? Do you mean you have a Core 2 Duo? If so then then video editing might need more processing power. Also what video editing program are you using?

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah for anything like 3D rendering or video editing/processing I would first work with the graphics card and processor. In reality, even the 675MX would have sufficed but you definitely made the right choice in going with the 680MX. Putting it into General Terms, your RAM really would only affect your speed while handling multiple processes and having multiple things actively runnig.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
32GB is extremely handy if you do any VM/Parallels stuff. I have Windows 7 in Parallels, and it flies with 16GB RAM dedicated to it. :D

24Frames

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
16GB is likely to be adequate for what you do.
8GB is insufficient.
32GB is probably unnecessary.

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
Since you can get 32GB for about $170 why not just get the 32GB, like some one else said if you do any VM's it will help you greatly to have so much free ram to assign for the vm. Just use your iMac when you get it and if you feel it needs more RAM after the test then upgrade, if not you can just wait and ram will get cheaper over time.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks everyone..

could i purchase 16gb and utilise the 8 already in? (I know you have to do something in the setup like 8,4,8,4)

----------

ha just asked the same question:D

Yup! That's what I plan on doing with mine, I don't need 32gbs because I'm going to be Dual Booting, so I don't need to have RAM to dedicated to VM.

But yeah, you can combine RAM in different combos, 24gb is a nice spot without spending too much cash.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
My sister uses her Mid-2010 27" iMac less she doesn't use Handbrake, Toast, FrostWire like I do and I upgraded hers to 12GB since it was cheap, cost her $25 a year ago.

I don't even know if the Apps I listed uses RAM but if the price goes down, I will max her out at 32GB.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

You have to pay attention to where it's struggling. Is it out of ram and struggling? Beyond that while it's often safe to go beyond 8, you don't necessarily have to jump to 32. Cost obviously matters to you. Why wouldn't you simply buy 2x8 and see how it runs, then another 2x8 later if it's actually necessary? If it's a new computer, assuming this will last you several years, you should never be really out of ram aside from the times when OSX is just weird about letting go of inactive memory. Add it until memory specific problems go away. You don't need a whole thread of opinions to figure that out. For further reference look at the recommended specs in the software packages this thing will run.

jnowakphoto

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Here's my take on this. You are already spending ~$2500 on this right? Why not spend another 200 for 4x8GB sticks and be done with it?

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands
Here's my take on this. You are already spending ~$2500 on this right? Why not spend another 200 for 4x8GB sticks and be done with it?

This is also what I think every time I see this question come up - for models that are user-upgradeable. I don't see the dilemma really, especially for the price of this upgrade. I know I use the full 32GB in my 2011 iMac, will put the same amount in my 2012 iMac which should arrive any day now.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I use two macs an mid 2010 imac and 2012 macbook pro which both use 8GB of ram both are running fine for small tasks like word processing, web browsing and casual gaming still runs fine. But seeing you are buying a new computer I would encourage you to put in 32GB as it will be advantage in the long run.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hey guys

Not long now before I receive my new imac 27 i7, 1TB fusion with 680mx and 8gb ram.. hopefully here in a week.

I do a lot of video editing these days (fcpx, premier pro etc) and had every intention to buy 32gb ram (probably crucial) BUT do I really need that much?

Am I being self indulgent here by maxing out the ram??

32gb of RAM for an iMac is worth about 160 bucks.

Just buy it and forget about memory for a few years.

OS X will use it for caching (even if you aren't runnning apps that will consume it all), and more memory does make a difference.

8GB DIMMs are the biggest cost effective size at the moment. They're very cheap - you're talking a difference of 80 bucks between 16GB and 32GB on a ~ $1500+ (?) system. fill your slots with them and be happy.

----------

This...

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Or one just spent $2,500 and budget just got a little tighter. :)

Again, the point is it can wait unless you really need it or simply have the funds to upgrade.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Seems quite unlikely that you'd need that much RAM. Start with much less. Check for page outs using Activity Monitor. Unless you're paging out, skip the extra RAM. Maybe donate some money to your favorite charity instead.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Seems quite unlikely that you'd need that much RAM. Start with much less. Check for page outs using Activity Monitor. Unless you're paging out, skip the extra RAM. Maybe donate some money to your favorite charity instead.

I second that. I currently have 24GB in my MacPro and I do need all of it—running Logic Studio and Kontakt 5, heavy-lifting GBs of sampled instruments and audio files.
Yes, look for page outs. That’s a fact-based answer to your question.
Then, avoid buying Apple’s boutique-pricing on RAM. :)

(I second the donating part as well.)

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
There's almost no one out there that even reaches that amount in use actively and if someone here does I'd like some proof at the very least.

You knew that there would be that one guy... After Effects is using about 22 of my 32 at the moment.

Really though, I could live with 16. It's just a matter of being able to have more frames cached at any given moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 10.55.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 10.55.57 PM.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 159

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Lots of great responses here, love the 'page out' ones although I dont have a clue what that means :rolleyes:

I dabble with after effects from time to time so I can see where the extra Ram would benefit there.

I think buying the crucial ram at £148 will at least ensure I dont buy anymore ram for a for years :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.