Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I've posted about it before, but I travel a lot so battery life for me is very important. I can easily drain over half the battery in half a day just at work, not including when I travel. It only became an issue for me when traveling since I have a regular charger with me at my office. For the last few months I've been using a New Trent battery pack for just my phone, but as I stated a few months ago I got an iPad Mini so I needed something to charge my devices faster(since I dunno what I would do without checking Twitter every 5 minutes.......)

I liked my old battery and I hadn't had it super long so I just bought the medium sized ext. battery the "EasyPak" is I guess what they call it....along with the Mophie power station since I tend to see those a lot around airports in terminals without numerous outlets. After a trip to Boston and DC in the last week I decided to throw up my thoughts on how the 2 compare.

Both arrived within a week, New Trent was free shipping and Mophie had a nominal fee but nothing to complain about.

The actual tech specs for them both:

Mophie Juice Pack Powerstation Specs:
-4000 mAH, 1 output: 2.1 amp
-Very lightweight; clean & sharp design, smooth to the touch
-Comes with microUSB cable to charge device

New Trent Easypak Specs:
-7000 mAH, 3 outputs: 1 amp, 1 amp, 2.1 amp (can charge 3 devices at once 1A USB, 2.1A USB, and 3rd 1A is a Micro=USB output cable built in)
-A bit larger than the Mophie, not as aesthetically-pleasing
-Comes with USB extension cord
-At first I couldn’t find the microUSB charge cables, but they’re actually built into the sides of the battery, which is a nice touch

After a week of use, on average I got a little over 2 full charges for my iPhone 5 with the mophie, and nearly 4 full charges with the new trent
(I use both batteries alternatingly for my iPad mini, iPhone, and iPod touch, but thought the iPhone was more standard so I used that as my test device).

As far as price goes, the Mophie was a little less than 100 all said and done and the New Trent was a little over 50. This wasn't a huge deal to me, but I know a lot of people 50 bucks might be kind of a sticking point.

In the end I like them both pretty good, but I do feel that the New Trent offers better overall value and bang for the buck for a quality product. Also as I was poking around the internet I did stumble upon New Trent's FB page and saw there is a 5.00 off coupon, I dunno if thats forever or just a limited time thing. I guess if you are always on the go and need something for more battery life throughout the day, especially with LTE speeds, the New Trent was great and I will be traveling with that from now on! At least until Apple has a battery that can actually last more than 6 hrs

EDIT: Oops forgot the website http://www.newtrent.com

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.