Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1
carabrookelle
macrumors newbie

Dropped iPhone in tea

I dropped my iphone 4s in a hot cup of tea the other day and at first the screen worked and everything but after it went completely blank then i took out my sim card and i still havent put it back in. now the screen is just black but it still makes sound and everything. i can even slide my finger over where the unlock thing is and i can heard it unlock. so the only thing wrong is that the screen wont come on. i put it in rice overnight the night i did it and i had it with me all day the day after without rice and i put it in rice again for 24 hours and just took it out a few hours ago and the screen still isnt working! can someone please help me!?
carabrookelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

What kind of tea was it?
Mac'nCheese is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:50 PM   #3
gwang73
macrumors regular

Try putting it in a rice bowl for 48 hours and see if that helps. Also, make sure the power is off. That's about all you can do. If it doesn't work, you'll need a replacement phone.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Krimsonmyst
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabrookelle View Post
I dropped my iphone 4s in a hot cup of tea the other day and at first the screen worked and everything but after it went completely blank then i took out my sim card and i still havent put it back in. now the screen is just black but it still makes sound and everything. i can even slide my finger over where the unlock thing is and i can heard it unlock. so the only thing wrong is that the screen wont come on. i put it in rice overnight the night i did it and i had it with me all day the day after without rice and i put it in rice again for 24 hours and just took it out a few hours ago and the screen still isnt working! can someone please help me!?
Sounds like you've killed your display.

I hope you live near an Apple store and have a few hundred $$ ready.
Krimsonmyst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:04 PM   #5
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
What kind of tea was it?
This.

We need to know the type and approximate temperature at the time the drop occurred.
aphexacid is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Troneas
macrumors 65816

Not to mention the amount of milk (or lack thereof).
Troneas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:18 PM   #7
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Size and shape of the cup as well
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:20 PM   #8
syd430

Your iPhone has probably about 0% survival, even if it managed to turn on at a later date. I couldn't imagine the type of corrosion extremely hot tea would do to the internals over the long run.

Cut your losses and replace it ASAP. You don't want it to die unexpectedly when you need it the most.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Sugar or Splenda in it?
Applejuiced is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:45 PM   #10
syd430

Also, if yes to the above question regarding milk, are we talking skim or full-cream here?
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:37 AM   #11
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

In all seriousness, when something like this happens, you put it in dry rice for as long as you can before turning it on. Turning it on periodically to see if the rice does magic is not how this works. You need to give the device as much time as possible to dry out so that components don't short.
cruzmisl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:49 AM   #12
carabrookelle
macrumors newbie

okay well the tea was very hot, hahaha and there was no milk in it, just honey anyway, so the display is totally ruined even if i can still like touch the screen and unlock the phone? because by accident i pressed play somehow and now i have music playing from it. so i have no idea what to do. and i dont live near an apple store, the closest one is a 2 hour ferry ride and a 2 hour car ride after that so do you think bringing it to an iphone repairer would help and do you think they would be able to replace the parts i need to get it working again? because the only thing thats gone is the display, not the touch on the screen or the sound or anything like that. thank you for all your help guys<3

oh and it was peppermint tea!
carabrookelle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:30 AM   #13
syd430

Quote:
okay well the tea was very hot, hahaha and there was no milk in it, just honey anyway, so the display is totally ruined even if i can still like touch the screen and unlock the phone? because by accident i pressed play somehow and now i have music playing from it. so i have no idea what to do. and i dont live near an apple store, the closest one is a 2 hour ferry ride and a 2 hour car ride after that so do you think bringing it to an iphone repairer would help and do you think they would be able to replace the parts i need to get it working again? because the only thing thats gone is the display, not the touch on the screen or the sound or anything like that. thank you for all your help guys<3

oh and it was peppermint tea!
Believe me, it has no chance, even if it was able to turn on again. I wouldn't even bother trying to repair it. It will in all likelihood just die again sometime in the future. If you dropped it in water it could probably be repaired, but because it's a substance other than water, it would in all likelihood cause all sorts of problems over time. See reply #8 in this thread.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:43 AM   #14
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

I really dislike answers that don't help the OP. Please do the following: Put it in rice for at least 48 hours, then bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour and serve with fish.
jimbo1mcm is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:06 AM   #15
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
What kind of tea was it?
iCe Tea.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:20 AM   #16
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
iCe Tea.
A nice hot cuppa ice tea then, I see. That leaves my question of whether the OP is of British origin pointless, of course. No real Brit would ever dream of drinking let alone heating such an abomination of nature's finest. Yes, that may well have been of great importance to helping the OP.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:24 AM   #17
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicPig View Post
Size and shape of the cup as well
Pics!

;-)

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:27 AM   #18
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 68000

I certainly feel for the OP as I've nearly dropped mine in a cup of tea whilst passing it over a table. It always pays to have your iPhone added to your home contents insurance with cover for accidental damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inselstudent View Post
A nice hot cuppa ice tea then, I see. That leaves my question of whether the OP is of British origin pointless, of course. No real Brit would ever dream of drinking let alone heating such an abomination of nature's finest. Yes, that may well have been of great importance to helping the OP.
I was just trying to rack my brains as to whether there was a tea beginning with 'i'. Just a play on the Apple brand too. Hope they get it fixed
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:12 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwang73 View Post
Try putting it in a rice bowl for 48 hours and see if that helps. Also, make sure the power is off. That's about all you can do. If it doesn't work, you'll need a replacement phone.
This is your best bet.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:21 AM   #20
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

OP, it could've been worse.. be glad it was only tea
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:46 AM   #21
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
OP, it could've been worse.. be glad it was only tea
As opposed to what, lava?
  4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:22 PM   #22
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
can someone please help me!?
Probably not. For any electronic device that gets wet the first step is always remove the power source and leave the device off until fully dried. Operating it wet will cause damage. Out of warranty replacement is probably your best bet at this point.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:27 PM   #23
carabrookelle
macrumors newbie

really well now everythings working again except wifi because like the switch wont turn on
carabrookelle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 PM   #24
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68020

It must've be camomile tea. It's known to put me to sleep.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:55 AM   #25
Myiphone7
Banned

Was it masala chai?

All those spices and can really burn the internals.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone