Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1
noodlemanc
macrumors regular

How do I compress an image on a Mac?

How do I compress an image on a mac? (btw, I don't mean zipping/archiving it, I mean making the image size smaller... ie; turning a 100kb image into a 30kb image, for example).

Thanks!
noodlemanc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #2
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Open the image in Preview, go to File>Export, choose where you want to save it, then choose "JPEG" from the dropdown at the bottom, and move the slider accordingly, the max being the best quality and largest file, and the min being the worst quality and smallest file.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
noodlemanc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
Open the image in Preview, go to File>Export, choose where you want to save it, then choose "JPEG" from the dropdown at the bottom, and move the slider accordingly, the max being the best quality and largest file, and the min being the worst quality and smallest file.
Thanks for your reply... However I already tried that, and the worst image quality I could make it was 37kb, when the size I need it at is a tad smaller, at 29kb. Is there any way to make it 29kb?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlemanc View Post
Thanks for your reply... However I already tried that, and the worst image quality I could make it was 37kb, when the size I need it at is a tad smaller, at 29kb. Is there any way to make it 29kb?
Just a guess, but does it work to take the JPEG that you made the first time and the the export thing in Preview again?

If you can stand for it to be smaller in dimension, you could go to Tools>Adjust Size in Preview and use that thing.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:10 AM   #5
noodlemanc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
Just a guess, but does it work to take the JPEG that you made the first time and the the export thing in Preview again?

If you can stand for it to be smaller in dimension, you could go to Tools>Adjust Size in Preview and use that thing.
Yeah, reducing the size and THEN lowering the quality worked. Thanks! ;)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help