Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
My 3 year old son accidentally cracked the screen on my iPhone. The phone is still under the limited warranty until May 30th, 2013. Will Apple replace my phone? Or they won't because it was damaged accidentally? My phone did have insurance through Verizon and Asurion. The deductible is $199 for a replacement. Will apple replace or repair the phone? I'm not sure which step I should take first. Goto Apple? or Goto Asurion?

Apple 4S 32gb

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
If you bought AppleCare+ when you purchased the iPhone then the fee is $99 (I think) for accidental damage and you can apply twice. Else the replacement cost is usually around half the value of the iPhone or $199.

Check with Verizon and Asurion as they may cover the damage via their insurance plan. Even your CC may offer coverage.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
If you bought AppleCare+ when you purchased the iPhone then the fee is $99 (I think) for accidental damage and you can apply twice. Else the replacement cost is usually around half the value of the iPhone or $199.

Check with Verizon and Asurion as they may cover the damage via their insurance plan. Even your CC may offer coverage.

The phone was a gift, and they didn't purchase apple care + they thought the insurance would be enough. I started a claim with Asurion and they prompted me to a $199 deductible.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The phone was a gift, and they didn't purchase apple care + they thought the insurance would be enough. I started a claim with Asurion and they prompted me to a $199 deductible.

Just take it to Apple then. They will give you a phone right on the spot and you are good to go. I've used Asurion in the past and the refurbs that they supply are horrible. At least at Apple its certified and you will then get a 90 day warranty on it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Just take it to Apple then. They will give you a phone right on the spot and you are good to go. I've used Asurion in the past and the refurbs that they supply are horrible. At least at Apple its certified and you will then get a 90 day warranty on it.

This.

Plus ask about AppleCare+ for it, as kids will be kids.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
so the 1 year limited warranty covers accidents like this? I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
so the 1 year limited warranty covers accidents like this? I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.

No, it doesn't, but Apple offer out of warranty repair for the 4S at a fixed price of $199. This includes accidentally damaged devices (including water damage) and they swap it out for a refurbished device of the same spec

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
No, it doesn't, but Apple offer out of warranty repair for the 4S at a fixed price of $199. This includes accidentally damaged devices (including water damage) and they swap it out for a refurbished device of the same spec

The warranty doesn't end until May2013

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Doesn't matter. It's an out of warranty replacement because accidental damage is not covered.

good news I went to the Apple store first to see what their solution was. He said the crack on the screen wasn't too bad and replaced my phone for FREE, since it was still under the 1 year warranty. I think the replacement phone was a refurb. It didn't come in the usual iPhone 4S box, but a different thinner box. Beats starting that Asurion claim and paying $199.00, the apple employee at the genius bar told me if the crack was worse I would have to pay that $199.00 fee.

THANK YOU APPLE!

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
good news I went to the Apple store first to see what their solution was. He said the crack on the screen wasn't too bad and replaced my phone for FREE, since it was still under the 1 year warranty. I think the replacement phone was a refurb. It didn't come in the usual iPhone 4S box, but a different thinner box. Beats starting that Asurion claim and paying $199.00, the apple employee at the genius bar told me if the crack was worse I would have to pay that $199.00 fee.

THANK YOU APPLE!

That was nice of him.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010

thanks you were right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.