Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Kadath
macrumors member

What USB 3.0 hubs are working with the new iMac?

On this boar'ds recommendation I bought this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Oct-2012-Upgra...dp/B006TT91TW/

It sucks. Doesn't work with half my devices. I should have probably returned it but I got tied up with other things. It's on my to-do list.

I need 8 ports
I need USB 3.0
I need it to charge iPads

I see a report on Amazon that some owners are getting that it only reports as a 2.0 hub.

Either way, I need something that is reliable ASAP. Any advice?
Kadath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:12 PM   #2
BSoares
macrumors regular

I got that same one you linked and have had 0 issues with it.
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:29 PM   #3
iCaleb
macrumors 6502

If only this was real.

iCaleb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
seanm9
macrumors regular

i dont think anyone makes a hub that can charge an ipad... ipads need a non-standard amperage to charge that is higher than what a USB port provides. I think the Belkin TB dock might have 1 "ipad" USB port, but that only has 3 total USB ports...
seanm9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:15 PM   #5
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

It sucks. Doesn't work with half my devices. I should have probably returned it but I got tied up with other things. It's on my to-do list.

I need 8 ports
I need USB 3.0

I see a report on Amazon that some owners are getting that it only reports as a 2.0 hub.

I have that same USB-3.0 hub and it seems to be working fine for me.

You can't charge your iPad from a normal USB port ... USB-3 ports can source a maximum of 700ma to the device, the iPad need up to 2000ma (2A) to charge while operating.

I have seen at least 1 USB-3 hub which had a special port marked on it which would charge an iPad or iPhone normally.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:15 AM   #6
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Quote:

I need 8 ports
I need USB 3.0

I have the same hub and I've had no trouble with it. Tech support may be able to help you figure out why some devices don't work. Don't automatically assume the hub is to blame.

As others have mentioned, standard USB hubs don't have enough power for high-current devices like iPads. The hub description at Amazon says this in plain English.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Fatboy71
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I need 8 ports
I need USB 3.0

I got this one:
http://www.ianker.com/product/68UPHUB-S10U

Although it shows up "Not charging" on the iPad, it does actually charge it up albeit a little slowly.

The hub works flawlessly. I have a variety of USB 2 and a USB 3 device connected to it:

USB 2 devices:

HP Printer (around 6 months old)

2X Western Digital external hard drive (around 5 years old)

Medion external hard drive (around 4 years old)

External Icy Dock hard drive caddy which has a Samsung hard drive inside (around 4 years old)

USB 3 device:

G-Drive 4TB USB 3 external hard drive

Corsair Voyager GT USB 3

I have tried the devices switched on separately, and also a combination of USB 2 devices switched on and my USB 3 external hard drive. All the drives are shown in the correct section in About This Mac/More Info/System Report/USB section (which is down the left side of the System Report window. Has you know USB 2 devices show up in the USB hi-speed bus section and USB 3 devices show up in the USB 3 super speed bus section. All the devices I have connected were getting correctly detected as either USB 2 or USB 3 depending on which they are.

I done a speed test (with the external hard drives connected the hub) by copying firstly a 3.92 GB folder to my USB 2 external Caddy hard drive, the time it took was 1 minute 49 seconds. Copying the same 3.92 GB folder to my USB 3 G-Drive took just 24 seconds. So the USB 3 transfer speed was not restricted by the hub.

I have also tried a variety of USB 2 thumb drives ranging from a couple of years old to around 7 years old and all work fine with the hub.

I can highly recommend it.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:19 PM   #8
laryenhilllvr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaleb View Post
If only this was real.

actually it does, i bought it on amazon. i think it's called satechi or some variation of the spelling. if i remember correctly the hub is supossedly 3.0, but it ran extremely slow. it estimated 7-8 DAYS to move my 300 gb itunes library. i kindly disconnected my usb 2.0 from the hub and put it directly into the computer and it estimated 5-6 hours. when i woke up the next morning it was finished. either way, i haven't used it since then.

...at least it's pretty! (or maybe it was a user's error, idk)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:46 PM   #9
iCaleb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
actually it does, i bought it on amazon. i think it's called satechi or some variation of the spelling. if i remember correctly the hub is supossedly 3.0, but it ran extremely slow. it estimated 7-8 DAYS to move my 300 gb itunes library. i kindly disconnected my usb 2.0 from the hub and put it directly into the computer and it estimated 5-6 hours. when i woke up the next morning it was finished. either way, i haven't used it since then.

...at least it's pretty! (or maybe it was a user's error, idk)
You must have gotten the usb 2.0 version because satechi hasn't released their 3.0 version yet (pictured below).

iCaleb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:00 AM   #10
thedeske
macrumors 6502a

Here's an industrial model. No stylish, but very solid where it counts

http://www.usb3.com/USBG-3x4m.html
thedeske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:52 AM   #11
laryenhilllvr
macrumors regular

Quote:
You must have gotten the usb 2.0 version because satechi hasn't released their 3.0 version yet (pictured below).

AH HA! so the mystery is solved. any idea when it comes out?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:46 PM   #12
hummer28
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy71 View Post
I got this one:
http://www.ianker.com/product/68UPHUB-S10U

Although it shows up "Not charging" on the iPad, it does actually charge it up albeit a little slowly.

The hub works flawlessly. I have a variety of USB 2 and a USB 3 device connected to it:

USB 2 devices:

HP Printer (around 6 months old)

2X Western Digital external hard drive (around 5 years old)

Medion external hard drive (around 4 years old)

External Icy Dock hard drive caddy which has a Samsung hard drive inside (around 4 years old)

USB 3 device:

G-Drive 4TB USB 3 external hard drive

Corsair Voyager GT USB 3

I have tried the devices switched on separately, and also a combination of USB 2 devices switched on and my USB 3 external hard drive. All the drives are shown in the correct section in About This Mac/More Info/System Report/USB section (which is down the left side of the System Report window. Has you know USB 2 devices show up in the USB hi-speed bus section and USB 3 devices show up in the USB 3 super speed bus section. All the devices I have connected were getting correctly detected as either USB 2 or USB 3 depending on which they are.

I done a speed test (with the external hard drives connected the hub) by copying firstly a 3.92 GB folder to my USB 2 external Caddy hard drive, the time it took was 1 minute 49 seconds. Copying the same 3.92 GB folder to my USB 3 G-Drive took just 24 seconds. So the USB 3 transfer speed was not restricted by the hub.

I have also tried a variety of USB 2 thumb drives ranging from a couple of years old to around 7 years old and all work fine with the hub.

I can highly recommend it.
I second this recommendation. This unit has performed flawlessly for me. I have utilized almost all inputs with no trouble.
hummer28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:33 PM   #13
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer28 View Post
I second this recommendation. This unit has performed flawlessly for me. I have utilized almost all inputs with no trouble.
Looks like a sharp unit. How are the LEDs on it? I really, really don't like LEDs (especially blue ones), so how bright they are is a big factor..

Some days it feels like Apple is the only company out there to understand how much LEDs absolutely stink. I love the iMac because there are no LEDs. I hate my Sony Vaio Z2 because the LEDs are blinding. I feel like there's an LED for EVERYTHING on that darn computer... *sigh*

Anyway, digressing here.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:46 PM   #14
Fatboy71
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Looks like a sharp unit. How are the LEDs on it? I really, really don't like LEDs (especially blue ones), so how bright they are is a big factor..
I have my hub over the other side of the desk from me so I don't find the LED's a problem.

I find that with my hub been on the other side of the desk and with cables connected into it, they obscurer the LED's to a certain extent.

I've taken a couple of pictures to try and show you the LED's.

This is from the position I sit at my desk:

This is looking down from directly above:

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Kadath
macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe I go one of the ones that didn't have the firmware upgraded?

Those of you who have the same one I do, it connects hard disks and thumb drives with no issues?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:29 PM   #16
WilliamG
macrumors 601

fatboy71, thanks for taking those pictures. Those LEDs definitely look quite bright to me, but of course this is quite subjective as these things always are. In addition, I don't have the luxury of being able to hide my hub away in the corner, sadly.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:07 AM   #17
Fatboy71
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
fatboy71, thanks for taking those pictures. Those LEDs definitely look quite bright to me, but of course this is quite subjective as these things always are. In addition, I don't have the luxury of being able to hide my hub away in the corner, sadly.
Just a suggestion. But if you went with the hub that I've got, it would be very easy to put some silver duck tape along the line/strip of LED's. Doing this would mean they would be hidden, this would solve your problem.

It is a really good hub and its worked absolutely flawlessly with both USB 2 (both new and old devices) and USB 3, and its got 10 ports which is more than most others, or and it complements the iMac perfectly as the hub is made of aluminium.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:12 AM   #18
Macman45
macrumors G5

I use the new D-link 4 port powered hub and it works fine...I can't see an 8 port model though...Ustream make one, but I'd stay away from that one, my neighbour bought one and it was unreliable so he sent it back.

Tplink are a reliable company and they do an 8 port model...Can't vouch for it, but I have used their stuff before without issue.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:45 AM   #19
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy71 View Post
Just a suggestion. But if you went with the hub that I've got, it would be very easy to put some silver duck tape along the line/strip of LED's. Doing this would mean they would be hidden, this would solve your problem.

It is a really good hub and its worked absolutely flawlessly with both USB 2 (both new and old devices) and USB 3, and its got 10 ports which is more than most others, or and it complements the iMac perfectly as the hub is made of aluminium.
It really does look aces. Just the idea of silver duck tape makes me cringe a tad... a lot...

Very close to just buying the darn thing, though. If I could just open it up and disconnect all the LEDs I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Last question: How wide is the unit (length-ways). I'm wondering if I can hide it in my Twelve South HiRise iMac stand, you see.

Last edited by WilliamG; Feb 19, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:57 AM   #20
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
If only this was real.

Maybe you should send that picture to Apple! That looks fantastic!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:00 AM   #21
Lancer
macrumors 68000

After a suggestion I found a 4 port USB3 hub at my local supermarket here in Australia (Woolworths) from a company called Dolphin Peripherals, for some reason it's not yet on the website. It's small and powered perfect for hiding in a corner and but since I'm using it for HDDs with their own power I can run it without the need to use another power point.

All this for just $20.

Also I found a solution for annoying LEDs, black electrical tape!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:26 AM   #22
iCaleb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Maybe you should send that picture to Apple! That looks fantastic!
It is real.........But just the 2.0 version.

The 3.0 version will be out soon.
iCaleb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:27 AM   #23
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
It is real.........But just the 2.0 version.

The 3.0 version will be out soon.
Thanks....That's going to be a must have...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:08 AM   #24
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"i dont think anyone makes a hub that can charge an ipad... ipads need a non-standard amperage to charge that is higher than what a USB port provides"

How about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Adapt...=ICHMS9CNTZ9X2

It says the "charging port" can supply up to 2amps…

It might be worth it to slog through all the user reviews to see if anyone is using it with an iPad...
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:59 PM   #25
Kadath
macrumors member

Simply amazing how much trial and error there is on this stuff...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac