Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnya

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
My iPhone is dead (battery ran out.)
It would turn back on when charged to a power outlet with a USB adapter.
But I think my USB adapter just broke and is not charging, so I'm trying to charge the phone with a Mac for this moment.
It usually charges this way when the iPhone's not dead.
But right now it's dead, and it's not turning on after connecting to my Mac and waiting for a while.
Is it that when an iPhone's dead, it can only charge by connecting to a wall, and not Mac? Or, if there is no such rule, then I think my USB cable may also be broken...

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
ur mac should be active and not in sleep mode. try a different cable as well. if anything ur probably have a bad charging port.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
But right now it's dead, and it's not turning on after connecting to my Mac and waiting for a while.
How long is "a while"? If it's dead it will take a long time (especially if it's a 500mA USB port) before you can power it on.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
True that it takes longer to charge? Yes. True that you can't charge? Completely false.

Actually, it depends on the model, and whether the machine was asleep when it was plugged in or not. It's not as simple as "it will" or "it wont".

Also, the Mac will provide the same power output to USB when awake as when its asleep (it's the same controller) so it wont charge any slower, that's false.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Actually, it depends on the model, and whether the machine was asleep when it was plugged in or not. It's not as simple as "it will" or "it wont".

Also, the Mac will provide the same power output to USB when awake as when its asleep (it's the same controller) so it wont charge any slower, that's false.

Slower than wall charging and every MBP I've owned or worked with has had this functionality. If the computer is below a certain battery percentage, then no, the phone won't charge.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Slower than wall charging and every MBP I've owned or worked with has had this functionality. If the computer is below a certain battery percentage, then no, the phone won't charge.

Actually, more recent machines (2008-9 onwards) supply 1100ma at 5v which is 5.5w.

The iPhone's USB charger supplies 5w of power, so charging an iPhone via USB on one of those will be 10% quicker than using the wall plug.

With the iPad 10w charger - this will charge an iPad twice as fast as the iPhone adapter will, but an iPhone will only ever draw 500ma from it - so via USB is by far the fastest way of charging an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.