Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi
I have ordered an iMAC and its my very first apple computer so Im new to OS X...
However have been working with computers for many years..

Now to my question I read some article in a swedish computer magazine today stating that the threats towards OS X is increasing and according to F-Secure in the year 2011 there was 59 documented threats towards OS X...2012 the number had increased to 121 new malicious threats...
about 85% of these are stated to be "Backdoors" and 7 % Trojansand 4% being false security softwares...

So I wonder..how serious should I take this?? Do I need to get an antivirus software to my iMAC???
And if so which one is the best for OS X and iMAC??

Best Regards Micael from Sweden :apple:

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
No doubt, many Macrumors-people will say that you don't need it since OS X is "so secure". Fact of the matter is, if you download anything from the Internet and click "Continue" upon opening it, you are exposing yourself to any number of things.

There are no "viruses" per say but there are definitely threats, like you said. Having an Anti-virus(which protects you not only from viruses but from threats as well) to search a downloaded file before opening it is definitely not a bad idea.

I can't recommend any AV though as I have no thoroughly explored the various options but if you find any good AV that doesn't clog down the computer, feel free to post here what you choose :)

Lycka till!

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
Not really, OS X is based on unix so all files need your explicit permission to be able to turn into a executable program (unlike windows). So if you know what your are doing there is not much of a threat to your computer, you would have to download and run the file your self entering your admin password for a "virus" or other malware to execute on your computer. You could even download some malware and it wouldn't be able to do anything until you allow it to, that said there might be some malware that could take advantage of some weakness in the OS but that would get fixed quickly by Apple.

IMHO you don't need an anti virus just surf the web with care and be weary of what you download and install on your computer, that should be enough.

MacFro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I've used mac computers since about 2005, and have never used any anti virus software. Never had any problems (that i know of).

Even at bigger "mac based" companies that i've worked with i have never seen antivirus software installed.

On macs it seems like the biggest threats are with trojans you have to activate yourself. So if you avoid clicking dodgy email attachments and websites, and my experience tells me you should be fine. Though i understand your concern coming from windows (?) :)

I remember back in my Windows XP days i couldn't even hook up to the internett with a clean install without getting a virus. Kind of sucked since i had to go online to get the antivirus software :rolleyes:

There are some free anti virus software around though if you would like to try, but haven't really tested any so wouldn't know who to recommend.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You don't need AV software on your Mac, but if you insist on it, ClamAV is free from the MAS. I have never had any AV package on any of my Mac's ever, and I've never had an issue. If you intend to Bootcamp and install Windows, then it makes sense to protect the Windows installation, but OSX needs no third party AV solution.

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi And thanks for the tips and info so far.
Ive also looked at some articles on the net on the subject and there seem to be different opinions for sure.
Only thing all seem to agree upon is that its a waste of money to buy an anti virus software...

And of course many of those stating that you indeed must have a AV is tied in one way or the other to a AV company...so perhaps their opinion is easily understood...Then again I also saw the article here..today
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...ke-against-apple-os-x-users-in-china-enclave/
So what should one think...
And your propably right in me being perhaps a bit more worried coming from windows now to my first ever Mac...
On the other hand I worked with Unix quite a bit as well which is a bit why I now are drawn into the Apple eco system...anyways..

From the articles Ive read so far ClamXav seem like a fair option thats also free - if I should have anything that is...
So any experiences on that software??

"Tack så mycket" or in english :)thanks so much

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
I saw this post in other forum and it seemed as a good tip....
best regards micke1967
I am an IT Professional. I own and operate a reputable Computer Repair Service company with a large customer base. My team and I literally clean and repair many computers (MACs + PCs) every day.
…we are the people you call, when things go wrong, at a last resort before throwing your computer out the window and tearing out your hair…

Here is my MAC advice:

- Do not use MacKeeper! It sometimes removes more than it should (system files, app resource files, etc.) causing crashes, boot failures and hanging. Use this app only if you would like to support computer repair people like me ;)
*Use “Clean My MAC” instead! Great for removing temp files, uninstalling apps and cleaning unused junk.

- Do your Updates! MACs do get Viruses! There are hundreds (apposed to hundreds of thousands on PCs) known that can run on OSX. Some listed here: http://www.securemac.com/. HOWEVER, after scanning, cleaning and repairing thousands of MACs from various customers (residential and corporate) I have found 1. Yes ONE single virus which we removed easily through a simple MacUpdate.
*So, just keep your computer updated and you are 99.9% worry free! For additional mind easing scan your Mac HDD with the afore mentioned ClamXav on occasion or even activate ClamXav Sentry for real time protection (this is going absolutely overboard in my opinion as it will unnecessarily slow your nice swift MAC down and your chances of infection are next to none).

The main things to keep in mind are:

- Do your MacUpdates!

- Software (including viruses) need your permission with password to run on your MAC.

- Try not to install 3rd party apps. If you do, simply scan it with ClamXav before installing. However, the AppStore is the safest way to go.

- …and if you’re a Windows user – use AVGFree combined with MahlwarebytesPro ($25 life time license) and pay a service tech (hehe) twice a year to virus sweep and re-optimize your machine … or just get a MAC and put me out of business :(
:):)

Nov 28, 2010
located
SInce it has not been posted yet, and I need my quota, here it is:

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.

To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I never use a anti virus software on my mac and I never had any problems. THough it depends on how many ads and add-ons you are planning to accept and install :) But, if you are an experienced computer person and know what is good for you or not, I would say it's not very difficult to avoid crap and viruses.

Besides, imo all those cleaner programs and anti virus tools are usually slowing the machine and creating a lot of fuzz and alerts - and some of them are hard to remove. I would call that a virus in itself, as its creating problems and is continously bugging you.....what's the difference between this and a virus or adware? (its like removing one evil with another evil) I stay far far away from tools like MacKeeper, etc and I never had any problems.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've survived since 1987 on the Mac without any anti-virus software installed (that is to say, installed for "continuous scanning" -- I did run "Disinfectant" periodically back in the OS 9 days, but it never found anything).

Since I moved to OS X in 2003, I haven't used anything at all.

Things seem fine here...

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
I saw this post in other forum and it seemed as a good tip....
best regards micke1967
I am an IT Professional. I own and operate a reputable Computer Repair Service company with a large customer base. My team and I literally clean and repair many computers (MACs + PCs) every day.
…we are the people you call, when things go wrong, at a last resort before throwing your computer out the window and tearing out your hair…

Here is my MAC advice:

- Do not use MacKeeper! It sometimes removes more than it should (system files, app resource files, etc.) causing crashes, boot failures and hanging. Use this app only if you would like to support computer repair people like me ;)
*Use “Clean My MAC” instead! Great for removing temp files, uninstalling apps and cleaning unused junk.

- Do your Updates! MACs do get Viruses! ....

First of all, I don't know how long this guy has been an "IT Professional", but there's quite a difference between MAC and Mac, so I really wouldn't trust his advice. Secondly, there has never been a virus for OS X in the wild.

Like some of the other posters, I've been using Macs since the '80s and have never used an AV program, even when hitting various questionable websites through the years. All you need is a little common sense. JMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.