Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:33 AM   #1
zooby
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Speed difference between iPads

I own an iPad 3 and went from a 4S to a 5 this past week. I was considering getting a mini this weekend, that way I would give my iPad 3 to my mother who reads a lot on her iPad and she would give her iPad 2 to my father (who doesn't own an iPad).

However, after using the iPhone 5 I am not sure if I want to get a mini anymore as the iP5 seems wayyyy faster than any other device I have used. I feel like all others devices will be slow and laggy compared to it. Now, is it because of LTE (and my wi-fi is a lot slower than I thought?) or was there a HUGE speed bump? Is the iPad mini faster than the 3 due to the lack of retina? Cause I feel like my iPad 3 lags a bit, unlike my iPhone 5. Now I am not sure if I should just wait for a mini processor update.

[Edit] Since there isn't a big difference between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 except the speed, I think I'd wait for a bigger update since they look the same. It seems like it would be a waste. Furthermore, I prefer the size of the mini... just not sure if the slower speed is worth it. Unless it's faster than the 3, then I can overlook it.

Last edited by zooby; Feb 14, 2013 at 04:25 AM.
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Zav
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
You must consider you actual usage of the device and whether the iPad Mini is for you. A lot of people are jumping ship from their iPad 3s because the Mini is new and innovative. Some, however are left with a bit of a sour taste in their mouth after reverting back to a lower res screen noticing a pixels more, also it seems obvious, but the smaller screen means a less enjoyable experience in many aspects of use. Hell, one the main reasons the iPad became so popular was the large screen.

Weigh up your options, you clearly love your iPhone 5 and if neither the Mini or the iPad 4 is making you instantly rush out to get one, maybe stick with iPad 3. It's actually an awesome device.

P.s many people have upgraded their iPad 3s to 4th gen iPads and are very, very pleased. There is a speed difference, and an overal faster experience. However if I owned iPad 3. I'd stick with it for now.
__________________
iMac, 2.5 GHz Intel i5, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, HTC One X+, iPad 4th Generation 16GB(best product by far).

Website:http://zavtech.org
Zav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Menel
macrumors 68040
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
I own an iPad 3 and went from a 4S to a 5 this past week. I was considering getting a mini this weekend, that way I would give my iPad 3 to my mother who reads a lot on her iPad and she would give her iPad 2 to my father (who doesn't own an iPad).

However, after using the iPhone 5 I am not sure if I want to get a mini anymore as the iP5 seems wayyyy faster than any other device I have used. I feel like all others devices will be slow and laggy compared to it. Now, is it because of LTE (and my wi-fi is a lot slower than I thought?) or was there a HUGE speed bump? Is the iPad mini faster than the 3 due to the lack of retina? Cause I feel like my iPad 3 lags a bit, unlike my iPhone 5. Now I am not sure if I should just wait for a mini processor update.

[Edit] Since there isn't a big difference between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 except the speed, I think I'd wait for a bigger update since they look the same. It seems like it would be a waste. Furthermore, I prefer the size of the mini... just not sure if the slower speed is worth it. Unless it's faster than the 3, then I can overlook it.
Mini is exact same speed as iPad 2.
__________________
iPhone 5, iPad Air TMo, Mac mini i5
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
plucky duck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I'm pleased with the speed of the iPad 3 and don't feel shorted in any way. I've tried the iPad mini and felt it was lacking in overall experience, for me. The difference in quality of display stood out in a manner I could not shrug off and ignore. The mini's form factor is nice, but I'd actually prefer it to be slightly heavier, for more confident handling and even better battery life.

Because of what the iPad 3 offers I don't feel the slightest bit tempted in what the iPad 4 has to offer. The incremental change is not enough for me to switch. The form factor change in the iPad 5 may sway me, we'll see....
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:31 AM   #5
zooby
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zav View Post
You must consider you actual usage of the device and whether the iPad Mini is for you. A lot of people are jumping ship from their iPad 3s because the Mini is new and innovative. Some, however are left with a bit of a sour taste in their mouth after reverting back to a lower res screen noticing a pixels more, also it seems obvious, but the smaller screen means a less enjoyable experience in many aspects of use. Hell, one the main reasons the iPad became so popular was the large screen.

Weigh up your options, you clearly love your iPhone 5 and if neither the Mini or the iPad 4 is making you instantly rush out to get one, maybe stick with iPad 3. It's actually an awesome device.

P.s many people have upgraded their iPad 3s to 4th gen iPads and are very, very pleased. There is a speed difference, and an overal faster experience. However if I owned iPad 3. I'd stick with it for now.
LOL, I am not one of those who just buys the newest Apple product because its innovative. I have always been a fan of bigger screens (hench why I bought a 15 inch MBP in 2009) but after owning a 3, I find myself using it less and less. My sis got a mini and I find it so easy to use. You can pick it up as easily as a phone and take it on the go. Idk - something about it seems like an easier to use/hold device.

I still love my iPad 3 and between the 4 and the 3 I'd stick with the 3 as there is no major difference except speed (and the camera which I don't use). Definitely want a mini though... gonna weigh in all my options though as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
I'm pleased with the speed of the iPad 3 and don't feel shorted in any way. I've tried the iPad mini and felt it was lacking in overall experience, for me. The difference in quality of display stood out in a manner I could not shrug off and ignore. The mini's form factor is nice, but I'd actually prefer it to be slightly heavier, for more confident handling and even better battery life.

Because of what the iPad 3 offers I don't feel the slightest bit tempted in what the iPad 4 has to offer. The incremental change is not enough for me to switch. The form factor change in the iPad 5 may sway me, we'll see....
I love my iPad 3, hence why I am not 100% if I want to give it away... yet. I do, however, find myself using it less and less and do notice that it isn't too fast. I have actually heard that the mini is a bit faster due to the retina needing more power overall - but I'm not sure.

I agree - I am sticking with my iPad 3 and don't see a point in upgrading to an iPad 4. If anything, I'd go with a mini to change it up a bit (I like the form factor/size).
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Zav
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
LOL, I am not one of those who just buys the newest Apple product because its innovative. I have always been a fan of bigger screens (hench why I bought a 15 inch MBP in 2009) but after owning a 3, I find myself using it less and less. My sis got a mini and I find it so easy to use. You can pick it up as easily as a phone and take it on the go. Idk - something about it seems like an easier to use/hold device.

I still love my iPad 3 and between the 4 and the 3 I'd stick with the 3 as there is no major difference except speed (and the camera which I don't use). Definitely want a mini though... gonna weigh in all my options though as you say.
Glad you've taken the best advice, from the best person - yourself. It's nice to see someone not just rushing out to buy a product on a whim (I must admit, I've done this before and felt very stupid afterwards).

P.s I meant no offence when I made the innovative point.
__________________
iMac, 2.5 GHz Intel i5, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, HTC One X+, iPad 4th Generation 16GB(best product by far).

Website:http://zavtech.org
Zav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:52 PM   #7
zooby
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zav View Post
Glad you've taken the best advice, from the best person - yourself. It's nice to see someone not just rushing out to buy a product on a whim (I must admit, I've done this before and felt very stupid afterwards).

P.s I meant no offence when I made the innovative point.
Oh I know. I actually agree 100%. I just wanted to ask how the speed of the iPad 3 compares to the mini, cause I have felt a bit of lag here and there with the iPad 3 and since the mini doesn't have to power a retina display, I figured it would be a bit faster. So far, no one has confirmed anything though...
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Essenar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Why don't people go to the Apple Store and try them out anymore? I went to the store, played with the Mini and I couldn't even notice it was "low resolution". Fell in love and picked up a 4G. The only reason I got rid of it was because I had the iPad 4 and needed some money to pay my bills lol. I got a little spend crazy this quarter. But I would absolutely use it as a primary iPad if I was on the move a lot.
Essenar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:21 PM   #9
cruzmisl
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
My wife has an ipad 4, I have a mini. The speed difference is not substantial. I vastly prefer the size of the mini.

The reason the ipad 2 still feels decent is that the ipad 1 was gimped, while the ipad 2 had a very good SoC with long legs.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:35 PM   #10
zooby
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post
My wife has an ipad 4, I have a mini. The speed difference is not substantial. I vastly prefer the size of the mini.

The reason the ipad 2 still feels decent is that the ipad 1 was gimped, while the ipad 2 had a very good SoC with long legs.
Same here. I prefer the size of the mini. It's just that after getting my iPhone 5 (same speed as the 4) I am not sure if I should hold off a bit. The mini should be faster than my 3 though...
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Abazigal
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
It doesn't feel gimped because the newer iPads use retina graphics, so most of the iPad's improved processor goes towards processing those graphics anyways.

It's like saying that an older worker takes the same time to wipe a table as a more able-bodied worker takes to wipe two.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:19 PM   #12
kevinloyed
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
I own an iPad 3 and went from a 4S to a 5 this past week. I was considering getting a mini this weekend, that way I would give my iPad 3 to my mother who reads a lot on her iPad and she would give her iPad 2 to my father (who doesn't own an iPad).

However, after using the iPhone 5 I am not sure if I want to get a mini anymore as the iP5 seems wayyyy faster than any other device I have used. I feel like all others devices will be slow and laggy compared to it. Now, is it because of LTE (and my wi-fi is a lot slower than I thought?) or was there a HUGE speed bump? Is the iPad mini faster than the 3 due to the lack of retina? Cause I feel like my iPad 3 lags a bit, unlike my iPhone 5. Now I am not sure if I should just wait for a mini processor update.

[Edit] Since there isn't a big difference between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 except the speed, I think I'd wait for a bigger update since they look the same. It seems like it would be a waste. Furthermore, I prefer the size of the mini... just not sure if the slower speed is worth it. Unless it's faster than the 3, then I can overlook it.
iPad Mini is exact same speed as iPad 2. I used both.
kevinloyed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:28 AM   #13
zooby
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
It doesn't feel gimped because the newer iPads use retina graphics, so most of the iPad's improved processor goes towards processing those graphics anyways.

It's like saying that an older worker takes the same time to wipe a table as a more able-bodied worker takes to wipe two.
.... Ok, so between the mini and the 3 which is faster?
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:41 AM   #14
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
4 seems appreciably quicker than my 3 in my couple days of testing.

Booting up, loading pages on safari, playing dead trigger, opening apps instantly and less stall to get to settings page amongst other things. It'll only get better in time.

If ipad 5 is a6x also many will suddenly notice the 4 is no slump

It's like when pre-unibody became unibody with same architecture under the good, a bit of a superficial upgrade.
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:07 AM   #15
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
I've not noticed a big difference in my iPad 1 vs. the iPad mini but then my usage is less relient on the CPU/GPU. I think the iPad 4 is the best performing but if you're not playing games (like me) then the performance between the models will be hardly noticeable.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:15 AM   #16
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a
 
BenTrovato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
I have both the iPad 2 and 4 ... the 2 is ridiculously slow compared to the 4 in just about every task. If I'm using the 2 without access to the 4, the 2 is pretty good, then when I fire up the 4, even just to view a web page, I can't believe I would still use the 2. It's all relative, unless you compare the two models side by side, which most people don't, whichever model you have will be just fine.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General: Updated iPads & iPhone: speed and battery issues GJM22182 iOS 7 0 Nov 4, 2013 06:43 AM
All iPads: Same A7 clock speed on both iPads? Sangdushi iPad 4 Nov 2, 2013 08:45 AM
Here is the speed difference (GPU wise) slayerizer iMac 14 Nov 30, 2012 08:14 AM
Noticeable Speed Difference? 2.8 vs 3.2 Dawoo Mac Pro 8 Aug 8, 2012 07:41 PM
Speed Difference i7 (2011) vs i5 (2012) thunderclap MacBook Air 13 Aug 7, 2012 10:17 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC