Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justindelta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
Hi

I was wondering which Mac Mini I should get.
What I'm doing is mostly: Gaming, web-browsing, watching video's on Youtube and more things.
I know that Macs aren't made for gaming but I got a Windows computer for that If I want to play one of my Windows games.
The reason why I want to have a Mac is, because I want to know the experience of its Operating System and more.
But my problem is, which one do I need to choose for processor, the i5 or the i7.

Already thanks for your help.
Sincerely
Justindelta

I hope this is at the right thread section to post this.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
If money isnt a issue, get the best you can get. Also take into consideration the cost of maxing out the ram from another retailer. that would cost you about another $100.

Macs have no problems with gaming. I've been playing world of warcraft on macs for years with no problems.

manual123

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Omaha NE
This is a question I had to deal with first hand. I later decided on the i5 and havent had any problems. I dont play nay games on it but routinely do heavy multitasking with iMovie, Parallels, telescope control software, heavy photo alignment software.

The only game i play on the regular is FFXI on max settings and its no lag.

Justindelta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
If money isnt a issue, get the best you can get. Also take into consideration the cost of maxing out the ram from another retailer. that would cost you about another $100.

Macs have no problems with gaming. I've been playing world of warcraft on macs for years with no problems.

Money is quietly a little issue, so I think I got to choose the i5 but I also want to have Windows on it but then on bootcamp or else on a virtual machine, I hope that isn't a problem on a i5 Mac Mini.

Justindelta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
I use both Bootcamp and Parallels. No problem. Runs great with win 7 pro on both .

Hmm, I guess I will go for the i5 then.
I have readed on some threads that when you take the i5, it will not live for long ?
Because I don't want to buy a computer every single year.

manual123

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Omaha NE
depends heavily on what you plan to use it for and how much future heavy programs you tend to use. My mini has 8gb of ram and performs quite well. I can see if having much of a problem for the futher as my OG Mac Pro still runs great on its 7 year old cpu.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hmm, I guess I will go for the i5 then.
I have readed on some threads that when you take the i5, it will not live for long ?
Because I don't want to buy a computer every single year.

It isn't that the i5 won't "live long", it's that may people feel that dual core processors are going away and quad core is the future. In many respects that is true. However, if money is an issue go with the i5. I bought the dual core i5 in 2011 (base) and turned around and sold it after the 2012's came out and only gave up about $100-150 total. My point is, buy the i5. It'll do everything you need it to. Especially since you've never played with a Mac, you probably should "start out small" and decide if you like it. If in a couple of years you decide you love OSX and want to go "bigger" then sell the Mini. You'll probably still get $400 or so out of it. Just my .02 worth.

Justindelta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
It isn't that the i5 won't "live long", it's that may people feel that dual core processors are going away and quad core is the future. In many respects that is true. However, if money is an issue go with the i5. I bought the dual core i5 in 2011 (base) and turned around and sold it after the 2012's came out and only gave up about $100-150 total. My point is, buy the i5. It'll do everything you need it to. Especially since you've never played with a Mac, you probably should "start out small" and decide if you like it. If in a couple of years you decide you love OSX and want to go "bigger" then sell the Mini. You'll probably still get $400 or so out of it. Just my .02 worth.

Looks like a great plan.
Thanks for that information.
Soon if possible, Ill buy the Mac Mini i5.
I don't really do much heavy things like video editing and kinda that stuff.

manual123

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Omaha NE

For what it's worth...I agree

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.