Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1
dafnaf
macrumors newbie

Time Machine not excluding items

Hi,
I just bought my first macbook, and I have a problem with the Time Machine.
I connected an external hard drive which had some stuff I didn't want to delete, so I partitioned the hard drive to two, one with all the data on it, and the rest (480 gb) I want to use as my backup space with Time Machine.

Time Machine then connected to the right partition, and everything seemed to be working. I then chose to exclude some of my folders from backing up, but Time machine doesn't exclude them for some reason.

I tried looking it up online, and I shut down the Time Machine as suggested (including deleting com.adobe.timemachine... from the library and rebooting), but it did not work.
I also tried verifying the hard drive. The part with the free space (with the 480 GB that I'm trying to backup to) - was verified as ok. The other part (with the old data) didn't give me the 'the disc seems to be ok' message, but I don't really know what to do with that, plus it's not the partition I'm trying to connect the TimeMachine to, so I don't think that should be the problem.

Please help me understand - Why doesn't Time Machine exclude the items I'm asking it to?

Thank you.
dafnaf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
ConCat
Banned

how do you know it's not excluding the items?
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3
dafnaf
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
how do you know it's not excluding the items?
It's saying it's backing up 58GB, and the items I excluded were 50GB total, the rest is the 8GB I actually want to back up (58GB is pretty much everything I have on this computer right now).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:46 AM   #4
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafnaf View Post
It's saying it's backing up 58GB, and the items I excluded were 50GB total, the rest is the 8GB I actually want to back up (58GB pretty much everything I have on this computer right now).
if you only have 58GB, you should probably just back up everything. It'll be a very long time before you even come close to filling up your backup drive. Perhaps years.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
dafnaf
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
if you only have 58GB, you should probably just back up everything. It'll be a very long time before you even come close to filling up your backup drive. Perhaps years.
it's only 58 GB right now because it's a brand new computer.
I normally work with very big files (I'm a graphic designer).
and I don't want Time Machine to continuously backup everything I download from the internet.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:29 AM   #6
dafnaf
macrumors newbie

help?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:42 AM   #7
dafnaf
macrumors newbie

I think I found the answer. Thanks anyway

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help