Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timiscute

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Hey I was thinking about upgrading my RAM in my MacBook. I don't know much but it's a white MacBook with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and for Memory it says 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. it's Model ID is 4,1 so i think it's 2008? not sure I got it from my brother The Memory apple is showing me is $100 but Amazon is showing the same thing (i'm pretty sure) for $18. Is it the same thing? Can I get it off Amazon and it will work the same? Also is it easy to install it? Also how much RAM can I put in this computer? I've never done something like this before but would love to do it myself. Thanks for any input.

~Tim

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
You have the early 2008 white MacBook if you have DDR2 RAM.
The one you think you have, the one from 2010, uses DDR3 RAM. DDR2 and DDR3 RAM are not compatible.

Your 2008 model supports 6 GB of 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM.

The RAM you linked to is not compatible. You need 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM like this, but know, since it is no longer manufactured in high volume, it costs more than modern RAM nowadays.

timiscute

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I'm an amazon guy. Is this the same thing? 4gb ram And about installation? Do I need any special tools? Is it easy enough to figure out? Thanks so much for the help

timiscute

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Last edited:

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Crucial is a good brand. I wouldn't recommend the second one "parts quick" concerns me. Get the Amazon Prime one if you really want to buy from Amazon. It's a decent price and free shipping.

timiscute

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Thanks for all the help guys. I got my ram in the mail yesterday installed today and its working great. Programs open noticeably faster and it was easy as hell to install so thanks a bunch!

~Tim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.