Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_camera_view_patent-250x335.jpg
A newly-published patent application from Apple discovered by AppleInsider describes methods that would allow an iPhone to buffer a series of photos before the user presses the shutter button for the device's camera and then automatically select the best one.

It is not uncommon for camera-shake or a less than optimal angle to result in blurry or dark photos in low-light conditions, even on the relatively capable camera on the iPhone. What the patent allows for is for the camera to start taking a series of photos before the user presses the shutter release, then automatically compare them with the one taken at the moment the button was pressed. If the system judges that one of the buffered photos is better, it stores that one in place of the one taken at shutter release.

In particular, the system seeks to minimize the camera shake that can accompany press the iPhone's volume button or tapping the screen to trigger the shutter by capturing images before the button or screen is even touched.

The algorithm described in the patent application uses a scoring system which measures contrast (the usual method used to judge focus), image resolution, dynamic range (the balance of light and dark tones in the image) and color rendering properties to determine which is the best version of the photo. The others are then discarded.

While the selection of the image is an automatic process, the system could allow the user to confirm the device's choice of the best available photo.

The patent application was filed in October of last year but references an earlier application filed in 2009, so it is possible that elements of this approach are used in current iPhones and iPads, although it is clear that the current Camera app for iOS does not include all aspects of the system.

Article Link: Apple Aims to Prevent Blurry or Underexposed iPhone Photos with Automatic Image Buffering and Comparison

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Don't other smartphone cameras already do this?

I could be wrong but, what they do is just take a burst of multiple photos. The difference being other phones end up with 5 actual photos and maybe one of them is what you want where this patent is saying that the camera would take multiple photos and automatically chose the best one leaving you with only one actual photos versus say 5.

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
To Late?

Is his not available in other recent smartphones eg samsung. :(

Maybe I'm thinking of something else

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I could be wrong but, what they do is just take a burst of multiple photos. The difference being other phones end up with 5 actual photos and maybe one of them is what you want where this patent is saying that the camera would take multiple photos and automatically chose the best one leaving you with only one actual photos versus say 5.

While the selection of the image is an automatic process, the system could allow the user to confirm the device's choice of the best available photo.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Thought I had something like this when I had my Galaxy 3. It would select the best photo from a shot, but would take multiple shots, then select it and ask for your approval.

nmg196

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Don't other smartphone cameras already do this?

Yes, many other physical cameras and apps already do this. They take quick series of pictures either side of the shutter button press then attempt to work out which one is the best by analysing them for motion blur. The one with the least motion blur is then saved out. It's often mis-marketed as an "image stabiliser" function but effectively achieves the same thing most of the time.

Some cameras with face detection go further and attempt to discard photos where people are blinking. Chances are, it's taken 10 photos either side of the shutter press, that at least one will be crisp with nobody blinking. I'm not sure why Apple are now trying to patent this common technique - it's hardly new.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL

I was just about to ask how this patent compares to the BlackBerry feature highlighted not long ago at their conference. It seems Apple's is more of a background process, while BB allows the user to decide.

(Also, it seems that the video reviewer doesn't know that you don't need to exit the camera app on the iPhone to 'QuickLook' photos. When a user is in the active camera app, just slide your finger in the middle of screen...as you would while flipping through photos...and you can instantly hop between the camera and the photos without having to press the thumbnail icon in the lower corner, it's a pretty neat shortcut)

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Nice! I really hate when you get your picture composed and then your action of taking the picture messes it up with blurry camera shake. A thin small phone isn't the easiest thing to keep steady.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
Time for Apple to start innovating and stop rehashing other people's ideas...

This article is referencing a patent application from way back in 2009. It further states that elements of the application may have already found their way into the iPhone or applications available for the phone (and other phones). seems a little premature to start accusing aplple of rehashing old ideas.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I was just about to ask how this patent compares to the BlackBerry feature highlighted not long ago at their conference. It seems Apple's is more of a background process, while BB allows the user to decide.

(Also, it seems that the video reviewer doesn't know that you don't need to exit the camera app on the iPhone to 'QuickLook' photos. When a user is in the active camera app, just slide your finger in the middle of screen...as you would while flipping through photos...and you can instantly hop between the camera and the photos without having to press the thumbnail icon in the lower corner, it's a pretty neat shortcut)

Woah! Awesome! Never knew about that!

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
At least future photos of Apple prototypes will be less blurry.

But I agree, my galaxy s3 already pretty much does this.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
This is why other companies fail

Apple consistently does the 1-up patent applications as soon as a competitor offers a similar innovation.

For instance, Microsoft came out with the "smart" cover that includes a touch pad and keyboard, Apple 1-up's Microsoft by filing a patent for a swiss-army knife smart cover that does every conceivable thing you could think of, except typing.

BlackBerry offers a camera which buffers frames before and after a shot and then uses the "best" frame when picking facial expressions. Apple then decides to 1-up them by filing a patent that buffers frames and composes them into the best shot.

You see, Microsoft and BlackBerry are stupid. They had innovations that set them apart from Apple, but without any forward thinking they revealed their competitive advantage and allowed Apple to walk in and patent every conceivable alternative use of the innovation you can think of.

If you are the CEO of a company that is NOT Apple, wake up and realize Apple will patent alternatives to your features and eventually edge you out of the market. I may not like Apple's strategy to patent everything in the world, but I can't respect other companies for being obtuse and only having such as narrow field of vision as to only care about the one feature that sets them apart from Apple.

So, yes, Apple is basically piggy-backing off of an innovation BlackBerry brought the world (and I am sure a slew of other companies), but then BlackBerry et al. was stupid for not thinking of all the possible ways that buffering frames before a shot could offer them and protecting their competitive advantage.

Point goes to Apple on this one.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Seriously never knew that! Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.