Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:16 PM   #1
PurpleShaman
macrumors member

Migrating from MBP to MBP

hey folks need a little bit of help/advice here. I purchased a the top end 15'' MPBr a few days ago and the apple store's willing to replace it with the new updated model for me.

the only issue is that I need to transfer all my files/programs to the new MBP. I'll have to either do this with an external hard drive migration or thru a firewire transfer in the store.

I have roughly 160GB of data on my MBP right now, if I were to transfer all the data to an external hard drive, how exactly would I do that? Can I use migration assistant to transfer the files to the hard drive, or would I just have to copy and paste it to the hard drive?

If I were to use the firewire, how long would it roughly take to transfer 160GB from MBP to MBP?

Thanks, and please post any other potential ways that I could use!
PurpleShaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

I would just attach your external drive and do a full Time Machine backup to it. Then when you get the new machine, at the end of the setup process run Migration Assistant and point it to the Time Machine external drive. That will bring your entire user account and all data across to the new machine.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
PurpleShaman
macrumors member

interesting. never used time machine, but if I back it up there, would that keep all my applications/programs, settings, ect?
PurpleShaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShaman View Post
interesting. never used time machine, but if I back it up there, would that keep all my applications/programs, settings, ect?
Yes. It will essentially make a non-bootable 1:1 clone of your current system.
Stooby Mcdoobie is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShaman View Post
Yes it will. The only glitch is even though they copy over, some apps (particularly Microsoft and Adobe apps) require you to reenter the registration serial number.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help