Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
peanutismint
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 vs 4S - will I notice a difference?

I'm thinking of selling my 32GB iPhone 4 and 'upgrading' to a 4S. I'm too far invested (read: stubborn!) to upgrade to a 5 and have to replace all of my attachments, camera lenses, cases, dock connector-style accessories etc, but the 4 is just becoming annoying slow/sluggish as the iOS gets more and more advanced.

Just wondering whether anyone here has upgraded from a 4 to a 4S and what your experiences/opinions were. Is it a noticeable difference, in terms of speed/responsiveness etc? Or would I be better off just sucking it up and getting a 5??
peanutismint is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

The main advantage of the 5 is LTE connectivity. If you don't care about that, go with the 4S.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutismint View Post
I'm thinking of selling my 32GB iPhone 4 and 'upgrading' to a 4S. I'm too far invested (read: stubborn!) to upgrade to a 5 and have to replace all of my attachments, camera lenses, cases, dock connector-style accessories etc, but the 4 is just becoming annoying slow/sluggish as the iOS gets more and more advanced.

Just wondering whether anyone here has upgraded from a 4 to a 4S and what your experiences/opinions were. Is it a noticeable difference, in terms of speed/responsiveness etc? Or would I be better off just sucking it up and getting a 5??
Get the 5, the performance jump would be extremely drastic, you get LTE, AND A much needed bigger screen which truly does also make all the difference. Also a better rear and front HD camera and a better screen then the 4S/4.

Plus the i5 will be supported by Apple for a few years, its the most logical choice imo. LTE alone is incredible and LTE IS the future.

I came from a 4S to a 5 and performance is very noticeable, apps launch and dont refresh at all in the multi tasking bar and there is absolutely no delay when switching from app to app, you can instantly use the app instead of that delay on the 4S and 4.

Tbh the LTE and the bigger better screen is tremendous...go for the i5 man it wont dissapoint you

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
The main advantage of the 5 is LTE connectivity. If you don't care about that, go with the 4S.
Forgetting the much improved screen size? The 4 inch screen makes all the difference in the world. Safari and every other app/ function on the i5 is much improved due to its screen size

----------

Quote:

The performance jump from the 4 to the 4S is noticeable, but the jump from the 4S to the 5 is even MORE noticeable, and your mind wil be blown if you jumped from a iPhone 4 to a iPhone 5
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Forgetting the much improved screen size? The 4 inch screen makes all the difference in the world. Safari and every other app/ function on the i5 is much improved due to its screen size
I have a 5, and enjoy the new screen compared to my previous 4. I just think it's less dramatic of a jump than going from 3G to LTE is.

I went from a 4 to a 5, so I can't comment on the performance jump from the 4S to the 5.
bohbot16 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I'd highly recommend the 5 as well. But to actually answer your question.

The difference between the 4 and 4s is much larger than what it would appear from the outside.

The 4s features the A5 which is MUCH faster, much better graphics and a better camera. The downside is the RAM stays the same at 512mb. All this being said, you WILL notice the difference.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)

Last edited by TacticalDesire; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
TacticalDesire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:35 PM   #6
dotme
macrumors 6502a

4S is worth it. Having owned the 3GS, 4, 4S and 5, I really think the 4S is a solid phone. Well put together, it rocks a great camera when compared with the 4, and yes - it is noticably faster.
dotme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

I would go with the 5. I enjoy the slightly larger screen and speed. Also, I like how thin and light it is. After a week with my iPhone 5, I picked up my 4S and played on it for a little bit and the difference was noticeable.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:10 PM   #8
peanutismint
macrumors 6502

Thanks all! As I'm currently not in a position to enjoy an LTE provider, I may just go to the 4S and then upgrade to a 5 (or 6, 7, 8.....) once I can actually enjoy the benefits of the faster network.
peanutismint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:13 PM   #9
dave420
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
4S is worth it. Having owned the 3GS, 4, 4S and 5, I really think the 4S is a solid phone. Well put together, it rocks a great camera when compared with the 4, and yes - it is noticably faster.
I agree. I use both the 4 and 4S every day and the 4S is noticeably faster and works more reliably. The home button on the 4S works a lot better over time as well.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Chimom79
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to Chimom79
I have never had a 4, but do own a 4S, so I must say got for it! I love my 4S, it's a wonderful phone! Enjoy!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:28 PM   #11
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502

I would recommend the 5 as well. The battery life on the 4S was not as good as the 4 and 5. The performance jump is nice but itís still the same screen and looks the same. At least the 5 has bigger screen with better color saturation. The 4s is a good phone but I would get 5 for sure. I was much happier when I upgraded to the 5 than when I upgraded from the 4 to 4s.
mjpearce023 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks all! As I'm currently not in a position to enjoy an LTE provider, I may just go to the 4S and then upgrade to a 5 (or 6, 7, 8.....) once I can actually enjoy the benefits of the faster network.
What is the price difference between a 4S and 5 in the UK? Are you buying the phone outright, or on a contract? Here in the US the price difference is $100 to $150, so unless you have legacy connector peripherals you want to use, getting the 5 makes more sense as it will remain viable in terms of performance and iOS updates for at least a year longer than the 4S, if history is any indication.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:57 PM   #13
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a

Stick with the 4 4 now.
AbyssImpact is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 PM   #14
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

If u have lots invested in accessories and doesn't cost u much going to 4s I say Do it. U should notice a speed (interface) boost.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:16 PM   #15
kamalds
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssImpact View Post
Stick with the 4 4 now.
This. Seriously, upgrade to 5s that will be released next year.

iPhone 4 is no way a slow phone. May be you have too much crap installed?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone