Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
What are people's thoughts?

MoxierWallet seems to be like 1password but FREE.

Am I missing out on something if I don't buy 1password? Because MoxierWallet seems to do everything we need?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
What are people's thoughts?

MoxierWallet seems to be like 1password but FREE.

Am I missing out on something if I don't buy 1password? Because MoxierWallet seems to do everything we need?

To be honest if I wanted a trusted system to store all my passwords and credit card data, I would not choose a free system. Looking at their website they have a fremium business model, which relies on users upgrading to the premium version to give additional features like better support and syncing between devices. This model may work for them and perhaps they are / will be successful, but I would rather pay for a good product from a company that I can trust, after all this is critical data that the app is looking after.

One critical aspect that Moxier does not provide as far as I can tell is the browser extension. This would be a deal killer for me, as i rarely use the 1Password App , most of the time I just use the browser extension.

I think this is the same old story of you get what you pay for and it would be 1Password every time.

I know 1Password is not the cheapest App out there, but it is an App I use day in and day out, and I get so much value out of it. I really can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
To be honest if I wanted a trusted system to store all my passwords and credit card data, I would not choose a free system. Looking at their website they have a fremium business model, which relies on users upgrading to the premium version to give additional features like better support and syncing between devices. This model may work for them and perhaps they are / will be successful, but I would rather pay for a good product from a company that I can trust....

James, how do you know with 100% complete assurance that you can trust them?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Hi Tony,

Nothing is ever 100%, but I have been using 1Password for over two years now, I have seen and heard nothing but praise for the the software, the company and the support that it gives it users. They have won a number of industry awards for their software. They are very quick to make sure that their software works when Apple brings out new versions of their OS.

My advice is give 1Password a try - they have a 30 day trial on their website - give it a go then try Moxier and see which one you prefer.

Last edited:

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
To be honest if I wanted a trusted system to store all my passwords and credit card data, I would not choose a free system.

I wouldn't choose 1Password either given they've downgraded the syncing so you have to use a cloud service. Not really fit for purpose if you value your passwords.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I wouldn't choose 1Password either given they've downgraded the syncing so you have to use a cloud service. Not really fit for purpose if you value your passwords.

Cloud is not an issue, data is encrypted using AES, the same state-of-the-art encryption algorithm used as the national standard in the United States. 1Password uses 128-bit keys for encryption, which means that it would take millions of years for a criminal to decrypt your data using a brute force attack.

Agilebits are just about to release version 4 and I understand that the encryption is going to be made even stronger.The new 1Password 4 data file will be 256-bit AES.

Last edited:

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hi Tony,

Nothing is ever 100%, but I have been using 1Password for over two years now, I have seen and heard nothing but praise for the the software, the company and the support that it gives it users. They have won a number of industry awards for their software. They are very quick to make sure that their software works when Apple brings out new versions of their OS.

My advice is give 1Password a try - they have a 30 day trial on their website - give it a go then try Moxier and see which one you prefer.

Thank you James. :) It looks similar to MoxierWallet which is free though, but if it has some different features I find useful I will consider using it.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
James, how do you know with 100% complete assurance that you can trust them?

One thing 1Password has that I'm not sure MoxierWallet - a good reputation and track record. I wasn't the first person to jump on the 1Password bandwagon because when they first came out, I didn't trust them but now we see that they have a stellar product that appears to be rock solid. There's no guarantee MoxierWallet is as bullet proof - other then taking their word and I don't want to take a chance.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
One thing 1Password has that I'm not sure MoxierWallet - a good reputation and track record. I wasn't the first person to jump on the 1Password bandwagon because when they first came out, I didn't trust them but now we see that they have a stellar product that appears to be rock solid. There's no guarantee MoxierWallet is as bullet proof - other then taking their word and I don't want to take a chance.

Have you heard anything about MoxierWaller developers that caused you to believe they cannot be trusted?

They seem OK?

http://www.moxier.com/info/about/

http://www.emtrace.com/

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012

Not true. You can now use USB Syncing to sync your data.

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/USB/ios-usb-sync-faqs.html

This is actually more secure than using wifi which we removed.

----------

Have you heard anything about MoxierWaller developers that caused you to believe they cannot be trusted?

They seem OK?

http://www.moxier.com/info/about/

http://www.emtrace.com/

I've not heard of anything, but you've linked to their own pages :) of course they wouldn't tell you they can't be trusted.

There are a lot of reviews of 1Password's security system out there. We also openly publish our keychain information so a user knows what lengths we goto to keep their data secure.

Security experts have reviewed our methods and approve. There's been mentions of us in various security related podcasts with well known security experts.

I wouldn't work with these people if they couldn't be trusted. I was a user for 3 years prior to becoming an employee. I left my previous job because I couldn't trust the people I worked with, this one is the complete opposite. The crew at AgileBits goes out of their way to make sure their users feel secure and get their questions answered.

I can't speak of other companies, but I can assure you we take the security of our users and their data very seriously. We use our own application. It's like eating our own dog food so to speak, except we like to think it's much more delicious than dog food, like s'mores :)

We even have our own tin foil hat wearing security expert. He takes his job seriously enough to have a job title that will blow your socks off: Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts. Best job title I've ever seen! He writes all of our security related blog posts if you care to read them and has a fantastic sense of humor and can explain complex security details to people with no real security background. That's worth a lot right there.

If anyone has specific questions regarding security of 1Password I'd be happy to help or get them the answers they need. On here or off. Just let me know and we'll get it taken care of.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

They seem OK?
I've not heard anything outside of what their website states and that's the issue. I'm not willing to risk my data on a product that has no track record.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Not true. You can now use USB Syncing to sync your data.

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/USB/ios-usb-sync-faqs.html

This is actually more secure than using wifi which we removed.

Well that's misleading, USB "sync" is just replacing the data on the iDevice with what's on a mac via iTunes. That's not a sync. It's a feature downgrade. Calling that sync is what enabled me to get a refund from the AppStore, it's misleading.

Yes, it would be more secure than using wifi, if it was actually a sync feature at all.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Steve Gibson of Security Now (he's a very knowledgable computer security expert and assembly programmer) trusts 1Password and thinks it's highly secure. That's good enough for me.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Well that's misleading, USB "sync" is just replacing the data on the iDevice with what's on a mac via iTunes. That's not a sync. It's a feature downgrade. Calling that sync is what enabled me to get a refund from the AppStore, it's misleading.

Yes, it would be more secure than using wifi, if it was actually a sync feature at all.

It's not misleading at all. It's actually a sync. Your explanation of it is inaccurate.

New items on the iOS device will be synced to the Mac, new items on the Mac will be synced to the iOS device.

It isn't just copying the data from the Mac to the iOS device. It is literally syncing the changes.

The iTunes File Sharing feature allows us to access the data file using the sync tool and make the sync happen using the USB sync tool.

It previously (iTunes File Sharing) did not sync. The USB Sync Tool is allowing full sync using iTunes File Sharing.

Sorry to hear you got a refund since this actually does what you wanted it to do now. Again, it didn't in the past, but this tool does what you're looking for now.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
It's not misleading at all. It's actually a sync. Your explanation of it is inaccurate.

New items on the iOS device will be synced to the Mac, new items on the Mac will be synced to the iOS device.

It isn't just copying the data from the Mac to the iOS device. It is literally syncing the changes.

The iTunes File Sharing feature allows us to access the data file using the sync tool and make the sync happen using the USB sync tool.

It previously (iTunes File Sharing) did not sync. The USB Sync Tool is allowing full sync using iTunes File Sharing.

Sorry to hear you got a refund since this actually does what you wanted it to do now. Again, it didn't in the past, but this tool does what you're looking for now.

Ah, so version 4 has had this updated since its release? If so that's definitely good to hear, I had to make a decision at the time on the refund. Experience has taught me not to buy applications and hope a feature will appear later on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.