Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

I Was An iPad Mini Hater...

but once i got my hands on it, i became in love with it.

i debated furiously there is no point of an iPad mini on here, and got into it with couple of other posters.

but i have currently which is a customers that im testing and installing an app on.

it has its perks, like if im on the subway or the bus or jsut walking some where
i wouldnt pull out the iPad, because its heavy and its just a burden, but with the Mini id gladly pull it out like if it was my iphone.

i already have an iPhone 4/S, iPhone 5 (For Testing), and an iPad 3, and now i want a mini, i feel like im doing too much, lol.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Glad you could see its true identity after putting your hands on it!
TyPod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:00 PM   #3
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

I will be the biggest iPad mini lover when Apple gives it a retina display. Until then, I will be very happy with my iPad 4.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
I will be the biggest iPad mini lover when Apple gives it a retina display. Until then, I will be very happy with my iPad 4.
Did you do the new update that came out a few months ago? If you did what differents did you see? Is it worth updating?
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:31 PM   #5
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
same here!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:57 PM   #6
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

you can like pull out your ipad mini "like it was a phone" Thats the whole point there.

Ipad was suppose to be a tablet, 9.7 inch is a great size tablet. It differentiate from a big screen phone like galaxy note, htc butterfly, hence, Ipad mini is a tweener. A tweener that people prefered but if you really look at it, apple can make it a little smaller 5.6 inch maybe and give it a phone capability.

I saw my colleague ipad mini and i think its way too small to actually be a substitute for laptop when you are too lazy to grab the adaptor and charger and waiting for windows to boot up. Ipad is a great replacement because of the big screen but for Ipad mini, i dont really know whats the point of it.
raccoonboy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:15 PM   #7
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon3y View Post

it has its perks, like if im on the subway or the bus or jsut walking some where
i wouldnt pull out the iPad, because its heavy and its just a burden, but with the Mini id gladly pull it out like if it was my iphone.

i already have an iPhone 4/S, iPhone 5 (For Testing), and an iPad 3, and now i want a mini, i feel like im doing too much, lol.
I was dubious about the mini also, currently have both an iPad 4 and a Mini, and spend more time using the mini due to the weight.

It is a LOT lighter. Sure the smaller screen makes the on-screen keyboard a little less convenient to use, but i don't use the tablet for bulk data entry anyway.

Whatever the on-paper spec suggests, in reality compared to the iPad 4 it "feels" like the equivalent difference between a Macbook Air and a 15" Macbook Pro...

The screen is good enough (sure, retina would be nice, as would more max brightness for outside - but it's by no means a deal breaker for me). I dunno if i'd want it to be any smaller though.

If/when the retina version comes out, it will be an awesome little device.

There's still stuff i prefer to do on the 4 (remote VDI sessions, etc) but it's very much a case of picking up the mini first, unless i'm doing one of those tasks.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:24 AM   #8
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominicanyor View Post
Did you do the new update that came out a few months ago? If you did what differents did you see? Is it worth updating?
I'm from Hong Kong which doesn't support the LTE bands of the iPad 3. So getting the iPad 4 was an easier decision for me.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Corax
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Corax
I upgraded from an iPad 2 and I'm very happy I did.

What's better compared to the iPad 2:

- WiFi (better reception in my house, also in far corners)
- Camera's (sharp, really big difference)
- Speakers (stereo, and overall better sound)
- Screen (contrast and saturation are much better)
- Weight and size! (just what I needed, reason why I bought the iPad Mini)

I'm used to the retina screen of my rMBP 15", but the iPad mini "low res" really doesn't bother me at all!
Corax is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

I just pull out my note 2 on the El. Much better size , especially when the train is packed.
Doc750 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Corax
macrumors 6502

Personally I dislike the size of the Note 2, I think it's not as beautiful and Android doesn't deliver my standards.
And don't forget all the Apps I downloaded in the past, all available through my account, free ones and paid ones, no costs.

By the way, I'm 2 meters tall so I have big hands, the iPad Mini fits perfectly in one hand, very easy to hold.

Last edited by Corax; Feb 15, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Corax is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corax View Post
- Speakers (stereo, and overall better sound)
I didn't think it was stereo, in fact I thought it only had one speaker like all the previous iPads and iPhones?
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:32 PM   #13
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Glad you like it OP. It is nice to have choices, get what works best for you.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:21 PM   #14
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanoir View Post
I didn't think it was stereo, in fact I thought it only had one speaker like all the previous iPads and iPhones?
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/...ereo-speakers/
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Corax
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanoir View Post
Yes, it's the first iPad with stereo speakers. You can even look it up in the specs page of the mini on Apple.com .
Corax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:48 PM   #16
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's a very appropriate position to take. My mini is ideal in all areas but one of the most important, the display.

When I first got it I knew it would be a compromise, thinking I could live with it I am. But instead of adjusting to it and mindfully overlooking its grainy fonts when smaller print appears on a web site, it's becoming increasingly annoying.

This is one time I'm wishing for a short product cycle so I can dump this and buy the higher resolution version.

You'll notice I didn't say retina. That's because my Nexus 7 proves it doesn't have to be as hi-res as retina to be outstanding.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

I'm the other way around... I had high hopes, till I bought one and used it...

The weight is right, the screens not. But it serves its purpose for those who like it.
Fruit Cake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:43 AM   #18
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post
I just pull out my note 2 on the El. Much better size , especially when the train is packed.
That is what I thought about it when I am trying to take out my iPad 2 when the train is packed but I am okay without using it.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:36 AM   #19
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
That's a very appropriate position to take. My mini is ideal in all areas but one of the most important, the display.

When I first got it I knew it would be a compromise, thinking I could live with it I am. But instead of adjusting to it and mindfully overlooking its grainy fonts when smaller print appears on a web site, it's becoming increasingly annoying.

This is one time I'm wishing for a short product cycle so I can dump this and buy the higher resolution version.

You'll notice I didn't say retina. That's because my Nexus 7 proves it doesn't have to be as hi-res as retina to be outstanding.
While the Nexus has a better display, the mini is what I use the most. Cannot beat its screen size and 4:3 aspect ratio for starters. And the Nexus isn't worlds better.

I use to let the display annoy me with web surfing trying different browsers for a week. I settled on Perfect Browser or use landscape mode with Safari.

I'm new to IOS, to let the display annoy me was rather ridiculous I felt considering the use and fun I'm having with the Mini coupled with its nice looks and form factor. I returned it once because of the display and bought it again so that speaks volumes considering I own the Nexus for lots less $$$.

Last edited by AppleRobert; Feb 16, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
AppleRobert is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:11 PM   #20
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I returned it once because of the display and bought it again so that speaks volumes considering I own the Nexus for lots less $$$.
That only speaks volumes about your standards.

I value crisp & clear displays like those of my Nexus 7, iPhone 5, iPad 4 & MBP retina.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:39 PM   #21
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
That only speaks volumes about your standards.

I value crisp & clear displays like those of my Nexus 7, iPhone 5, iPad 4 & MBP retina.
The Nexus 7 is not in the same company as the others you listed, not even close.

Try nytimes and yahoo desktop sites in portrait on the Nexus. No better than the Mini.
AppleRobert is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:48 PM   #22
Essenar
macrumors 6502

I was never all obsessed with high resolutions. I felt that the resolution of the Mini was more than 'acceptable'. Do people hold these things up to their face or something? On my lap, about 1.5-2.5 feet away from me, I can't even tell. Sure, it has 'slightly squiggly' lines when you have it directly next to the Retina but otherwise, I can't tell that it's 'low resolution'.

People sure are spoiled. MOAR PIXLZ MOAR MOAR PIXLS. 1080p on a tablet that's 10" is good enough. On an 8"? I'd gladly take 1024x768 as long as the experience is smooth.
Essenar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:54 PM   #23
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I have one sitting right here unopened but I'm concerned I won't like the display. I'm used to the 720p Nexus 4, 5th gen touch and other higher res displays and am afraid I'll be disappointed. I'm also wishing it had 1gb of RAM.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:58 PM   #24
Essenar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
I have one sitting right here unopened but I'm concerned I won't like the display. I'm used to the 720p Nexus 4, 5th gen touch and other higher res displays and am afraid I'll be disappointed. I'm also wishing it had 1gb of RAM.
You won't notice the ram to be honest. Display depends on how close you hold it to your face. I thought it looked better than the Nexus 4. I'm an Android phone user but I think Jelly Bean looks too dark and blue.
Essenar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:11 PM   #25
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon3y View Post
but once i got my hands on it, i became in love with it.

i debated furiously
You might want to rephrase that, I honestly misread that the first time around.
  5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad