Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
If Apple upgraded the iPad mini and calls it the 2nd generation, would you be disappointed if there is no retina display?

Would you still buy it with an upgraded processor (possibly A6) and a better camera (8MP)?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If Apple upgraded the iPad mini and calls it the 2nd generation, would you be disappointed if there is no retina display?

Would you still buy it with an upgraded processor (possibly A6) and a better camera (8MP)?

Then we would all still be in here complaining about how Apple is going down now and Tim Cook is not half as good as Jobs. Still, most of us would probably buy the device.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012

Anandtech himself... the absolute master of electronics... said not to expect a retina display in 2013.

I value his expert opinion over anyone elses on this forum.

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
Anandtech himself... the absolute master of electronics... said not to expect a retina display in 2013.

Exactly

Most analyst have been wrong before... Remember the 2011 and 2012 black MacBook pros mostly every site said this was happening

When apple has a lower priced product and a higher priced in the same family they are not usually in a rush to upgrade majorly their lower end. I for one am not expecting a retina mini this year. But hey maybe Cook will surprise many.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
These forums were almost certain the iPad 2 was going to have a retina display.

When it didn't, people said it was the end of Apple, the end of innovation and it's the worst product update in history.

The iPad 2 went on to be a massive success, still sold today, and anyone can now see how big of an upgrade it was over the first iPad.

The same will happen again.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The challenge will be...

326DPI and maintaining the thinness of the current Mini.
Cost involved in that.

Apple may be able to pull it off. They may not. All Anand is saying, don't set yourself up for disappointment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No because I'm satisfied with my mini now. Retina is not a show stopper for my needs. Would I like one, sure, but since I dropped bucket load of money to buy the mini, I'm content with what I have and I have no plans to replace it any time soon.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008

Hmm, and to think I haven't looked at that site in three years. Still, I agree that 2013 is not the year for a retina ipad mini. It would cause too much volatility to the screen supplies for both ipad series as the full size ipad is getting a new screen to allow it to fit into the new enclosure for the ipad 5. I am looking forward to the retina ipad mini in 2014, but for now I'm keeping my eyes open for news on this iWatch device.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
No because I'm satisfied with my mini now. Retina is not a show stopper for my needs. Would I like one, sure, but since I dropped bucket load of money to buy the mini, I'm content with what I have and I have no plans to replace it any time soon.

Exact thoughts for me! I would actually be kind of happy if it doesn't get a retina display yet.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Exact thoughts for me! I would actually be kind of happy if it doesn't get a retina display yet.

I'd really love for it to get retina (of course), I'd upgrade mine immediately. If it doesn't get retina, will I upgrade? Very possible, mostly because I got the 32GB WiFi version, and I think the next one I buy must be 64GB and perhaps I'll even consider a Wifi/Cellular version too. I find myself having to manage the space on my 32GB mini too often - it's not impossible, but not preferred - mostly, it's a lot of big game apps that take up so much space, and I'd like to have a bit more breathing room for those.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
If it comes out, I would definitely buy it. My son already has the mini (and daddy is in love with his ipad mini :D ), so if the retina version comes out I sure will buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.