Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gianmarco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I have seen countless tutorial videos on how to do this and can pretty much do it blindfolded now.

However, this particular video stated to use a plastic spudger, and to disconnect the battery:

Is this really necessary? I all the other videos I have seen, the battery isn't even touched once the computer is shut off completely, let alone disconnected with a plastic spudger.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You could probably get away with not using a spudger, but it makes it a little easier to get the job done. However, you really should disconnect the battery. Working on electronics can be hazardous to you and the devices you're working on. You should always disconnect/remove power sources, outlets and batteries.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
You could probably get away with not using a spudger, but it makes it a little easier to get the job done. However, you really should disconnect the battery. Working on electronics can be hazardous to you and the devices you're working on. You should always disconnect/remove power sources, outlets and batteries.

I agree. Spudger makes it easy to walk out that battery connector. it's cheap so why not buy one?

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
nope dont need those...just a good screw driver to open the hatch.

don't even need to disconnect the battery

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Um. A finger works just as good. It's not exactly screwed in. Just peel it off. I've opened up and worked on MBP's countless times and I've never used or needed a spudger for anything.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
I know someone from here shorted their battery because he used a screw driver. Not worth it.

not to use it on the battery...u need a screw driver to open the panel lol

u dont need to disconnect the battery to replace hdd....laptops are not that dedicate.

Gianmarco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I'm just gonna play but safe and get a plastic spudger at home Depot on the way home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.