Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's New TV Effort May Kick Off This Fall with Focus on Third-Party Apps

TechCrunch's MG Siegler reports that Apple indeed appears to be moving closer to making a major push into television, perhaps leveraging the existing iOS-based Apple TV to pursue gaming as a focus point for the initiative.

Xbox founding engineer Nat Brown had noted earlier this week that he believes Apple could destroy the traditional console gaming business by opening up the Apple TV platform to third-party apps, and Valve founder Gabe Newell had expressed similar sentiments several weeks earlier.

But while Siegler has not heard any specific information about how Apple would open up the Apple TV to developers, multiple sources have informed him that something does appear to be brewing for later this year.
Quote:
I haven't heard anything specific about the SDK, but the chatter about Apple's broader television plans has been picking up. And if that chatter is to believed, something is happening this fall -- likely late fall. As always with Apple, those plans are subject to change (and, in fact, have changed a few times in the past -- see: "Project Sphere"). As you might imagine, content deals remain a bitch, yet remain vital to such a project. But multiple sources suggest everything is finally lining up for this fall.
Siegler goes on to note that he does not know if the effort will include an actual television set at launch, but he argues that it doesn't really matter whether Apple does or not. The key is to bring apps to either the existing Apple TV concept or to new hardware, whether it be a new set-top box or integrated into a television set.

Siegler suggests that under this scenario Apple is likely to hold an event several months ahead of this projected late fall TV hardware launch, using the earlier event to introduce developer tools for the existing Apple TV, although whether that introduction might come mid-year at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference or at a separate event is unknown.

Earlier this week, analyst Peter Misek claimed that Apple would be holding a television-related product event next month, but the rumor was quickly refuted by The Loop's Jim Dalrymple.

Article Link: Apple's New TV Effort May Kick Off This Fall with Focus on Third-Party Apps
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:06 AM   #2
japanime
macrumors 65816

This is getting exciting! I hope they offer the content not just in the United States, but internationally. (Otherwise, I'll use a proxy server.)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:07 AM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5

Got my Apple TV and I've got to say, it is really great. I always thought of it as a extra to have, but not essential. I still don't think it's essential, but not an extra anymore. More like a nice companion instead of having to drag my laptop and hook it up to the TV.

BlueTooth keyboard supports rocks.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4
SandboxGeneral

If the rumors hold up for later this year, then the "hobby" should move into a more professional realm. Apps (or the lack thereof) on the ATV are certainly the biggest complaint many folks have with it.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:16 AM   #5
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Farting apps for my TV?

I smell another revolution!
swingerofbirch is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:21 AM   #6
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816

Bring on the Dev tools.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 AM   #7
StarPower
macrumors member

If this happens in the way it seems Apple will do it (revolutionarily, putting their stamp on it, forever changing it), along with rumors of "iWatch", I'm incredibly exciting for the innovative prospects of Apple going forward.

Tim Cook wasn't lying when he told Brian Williams "Don't bet against us".
StarPower is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 AM   #8
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Apple TV with apps and online content could be a killer device for their eco-system.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:50 AM   #9
-AG-
macrumors regular

The only reason that i Jailbreak my current ATV2 is for the Plex.app.

If they can make it a legit app that i can purchase through the app store for say $2.99 I'd be more than willing to do so and wont need to jailbreak anymore either.

Fingers crossed
-AG- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:54 AM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G4

For games to succeed I'd have been tempted to say you need more cutting-edge graphics horsepower, but the Wii saw success for a time based on fun rather than CPU cycles... and I see Real Racing 3 on an iPhone looking pretty darned impressive and running fast.

What you really need is just an SDK and a control method. (Which might be an iPad/iPhone, but that limits the audience.)

And most gaming is "casual" anyway, even if advertising and game journalism focuses on the hard-core niche. (A niche which, if AppleTV is unable to serve it--including a great controller--then that's a reason for traditional consoles to stay around.)

If you subtract games, and stick with the current remote, it would still be nice to have custom apps for all kinds of other content sources. Crackle, non-cable TV networks, Devour, etc.--the kinds of video apps iPad already has but AppleTV lacks. Radio/music/podcast apps too.
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:02 AM   #11
pixelpro
macrumors member

Watches, TVs, iPads, Maxi/Mini iPhones. An iStorm is brewing in Cupertino.

Last edited by pixelpro; Feb 15, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
pixelpro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:16 AM   #12
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Everyone's waiting. Question is when. While these guys make some good points. It doesn't seem as though obtaining the content will be an easy feat. 3rd party Apps may be the way to go. But that leaves a lot of questions unanswered
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:19 AM   #13
extensor
macrumors member

In addition to existing content and apps, I would like to see Apple include an app like iBooks Author but for TV shows. Making it easy for anyone to produce their own shows and sell them thru iTunes. appleTV Author?
extensor is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:23 AM   #14
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Coming soon - Angry Birds on your TV, with touch controls from your iPhone/iPad.

Yeehaw. Not really a threat to any console gaming for a long time.
Mackan is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:35 AM   #15
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
Farting apps for my TV?

I smell another revolution!
I would imagine you are one of these basement console gamers
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Westside guy
macrumors 601

We've enjoyed our Apple TV much more than I thought we would - but third-party apps could make it great.

One app I'd love to see for the ATV is a Plex client.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:49 AM   #17
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Earlier this week, analyst Peter Misek claimed that Apple would be holding a television-related product event next month, but the rumor was quickly refuted by The Loop's Jim Dalrymple.
This is one of my pet peeves. Peter Misek's claim wasn't refuted by Jim Dalrymple, it was repudiated by him. To refute means to prove wrong. To repudiate means to deny the truth of.

Almost every use of the word 'refute' is wrong, in my experience.
Zunjine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:54 AM   #18
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

How much storage does the current ATV 3 have? Does even have any flash storage for apps?
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:56 AM   #19
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

When articles and people talk about opening the "current" Apple TV to developers, surely they just mean the current form factor, yes? Wouldn't it be necessary for an Apple TV to be considerably upgraded to run apps like games or much anything else that isn't a content menu like Netflix or Hulu?

I don't know the technical bits or what's required, but at the very least, it seems that hard drive size options might be necessary.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:11 AM   #20
drcreek
macrumors member

You have to be careful with Jim.

You have to be careful with Jim.

He said they wouldn't hold an event for an SDK. He didn't say they wouldn't be holding one at all!

Last edited by OllyW; Feb 15, 2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: self-promotion
drcreek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:15 AM   #21
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Regretfully, I don't see the point in 3rd party apps on a TV. Watching Movies and TV shows is what I dig. It would be nice if Apple implemented a great way to play games on this apparent Apple TV.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:20 AM   #22
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
How much storage does the current ATV 3 have? Does even have any flash storage for apps?
The Apple TV 3 has 8GB NAND memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUndecided View Post
When articles and people talk about opening the "current" Apple TV to developers, surely they just mean the current form factor, yes? Wouldn't it be necessary for an Apple TV to be considerably upgraded to run apps like games or much anything else that isn't a content menu like Netflix or Hulu?

I don't know the technical bits or what's required, but at the very least, it seems that hard drive size options might be necessary.
There could be limited apps on the 3rd gen but we don't know the exact specs of the new Apple TV that is supposed to be a silent upgrade. It could have 16 or 32 GB flash memory. Enough to run lots of stuff.

Kind of like the iPad specs.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:32 AM   #23
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

I'm all up for some Temple Run on my TV
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:36 AM   #24
iSunrise
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Regretfully, I don't see the point in 3rd party apps on a TV. Watching Movies and TV shows is what I dig. It would be nice if Apple implemented a great way to play games on this apparent Apple TV.
Think ... again.

If watching movies and TV shows is what you dig, e.x. AirVideo on an Apple TV would be a killer app for every hometheater enthusiast.

Games is just another HUGE opportunity to gain even more presence in people´s lives. It´s about easy and fast access and a device that can do it all. It will also drive developers to build more and better games.

Apple needs to do this, because they currently are at a crucial point where they´ve been rather un-revolutionary with regards to new ideas and solutions so that their competitors have more time to adjust or even offer on-par devices at a lower cost.

Simply building newer iPhones and iPads is not enough. The next iPad is going to have so much CPU and GPU power that there´s barely any games out there that need it. A lot of people skipped the iPad 4, because an iPad 3 still is very popular, has sufficient capabilities and is now much cheaper.

Thinner and lighter has it´s limits. They need new selling points.

Last edited by iSunrise; Feb 15, 2013 at 02:52 AM.
iSunrise is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:38 AM   #25
gijoeinla
macrumors regular

Seriously -- apps coming to Apple TV without a doubt would become a game changer in the CONTENT distribution business. If -- if in fact the content kings are fighting the prospects of a proposed paradigm shift towards "al la carte" programming -- that fight could deflated by a mass market device.. Think about it..

If ANY developer could in fact create an app that delivers "original" or "licensed" product -- what would Apple potentially need network or licensed programming per say. Plus -- plus it would in a way make the App Store a type of "you tube" like marketplace -- where anyone literally could develop an app to deliver content..

Studios are you listening? I happen to work for one of the majors.. Apples iOS user base is just north of 500 mil and growing. Add a real Apple TV that is content loaded -- seriously HOLY ****-AH! Plus what would stop Apple itself or an acquired property from bringing or making its own content deals -- even though Apple claims it wouldn't do -- I call BS on that..

Content is king.. Mark my words -- the value of content will soon start to accelerate -- deals like NFL, NBA, etc etc.. All the players - Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc know all to well that it's the content stupid.. And yea software in my world is considered content.....

Apple TV unlocked could blow the lid off the way content gets distributed -- frankly the dynamics of this delivery will ultimately force Hollywoods hand..

I'm wrong? Tell that to the music industry...

Last edited by gijoeinla; Feb 15, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
gijoeinla is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion