Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:00 AM   #1
shahin90
macrumors newbie

Apple TV - worth it at this time?

Hey guys,

I just got USB super drive gift from a friend and since I have a USB stick I can install Windows and other applications I want without DVDs.

I wanted to return it to get an Apple TV, but I hear a lot of news about them lately. Is a new version coming out soon so I should wait or should I go get the latest model right now?

Thanks
shahin90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahin90 View Post
Hey guys,

I just got USB super drive gift from a friend and since I have a USB stick I can install Windows and other applications I want without DVDs.

I wanted to return it to get an Apple TV, but I hear a lot of news about them lately. Is a new version coming out soon so I should wait or should I go get the latest model right now?

Thanks
What do you want it to do for you?
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:32 AM   #3
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks
Within the last two weeks, there was an article that Apple is upgrading the AppleTV from the A5 to the A5X, but that it would be a completely silent update (meaning it won't be an AppleTV4). I think we can safely assume that no "AppleTV4" will be released in the next 6 months then (seems silly to go to the trouble of moving to the A5X only to release a brand new model a month later). It's $99 which makes it a pretty cheap device to replace. Worst case, sell it in a few months for 75 and upgrade if you feel it is worth it. Frankly even when I had AppleTV2's sitting next to my AppleTV3's I didn't really feel or notice a difference. It plays videos. That's it. What would an AppleTV4 bring?
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:35 AM   #4
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Within the last two weeks, there was an article that Apple is upgrading the AppleTV from the A5 to the A5X, but that it would be a completely silent update (meaning it won't be an AppleTV4). I think we can safely assume that no "AppleTV4" will be released in the next 6 months then (seems silly to go to the trouble of moving to the A5X only to release a brand new model a month later). It's $99 which makes it a pretty cheap device to replace. Worst case, sell it in a few months for 75 and upgrade if you feel it is worth it. Frankly even when I had AppleTV2's sitting next to my AppleTV3's I didn't really feel or notice a difference. It plays videos. That's it. What would an AppleTV4 bring?
I think than an ATV4 could bring some pretty amazing things: games, apps, and even combine the technology of the base station express and the ATV to have a combination streaming device/router. This way, you could have ATV serve as the hub(as it should be) and be able to connect multiple accounts to it to play games, watch movies, or watch sports. All on different devices and all in different rooms. That's what I would like to see.

And to answer the OP's question. It's always worth it in my opinion.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I think than an ATV4 could bring some pretty amazing things: games, apps, and even combine the technology of the base station express and the ATV to have a combination streaming device/router. This way, you could have ATV serve as the hub(as it should be) and be able to connect multiple accounts to it to play games, watch movies, or watch sports. All on different devices and all in different rooms. That's what I would like to see.

And to answer the OP's question. It's always worth it in my opinion.
Games and Apps could be added to the AppleTV2 and AppleTV3 just as easily.

The part about serving as a hub, kind of defeats Homesharing from iTunes so I don't see it. That already is your "hub" is it not?
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:09 AM   #6
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Games and Apps could be added to the AppleTV2 and AppleTV3 just as easily.

The part about serving as a hub, kind of defeats Homesharing from iTunes so I don't see it. That already is your "hub" is it not?
The reason I think the ATV could serve as a hub as well as iTunes would be as a source for media/apps/games that do not exist in the iTunes library. In this way, many people could access the ATV at the same time and use it for very different purposes.

I don't know of any iOS apps that allow someone to play a game that was downloaded via a user's iTunes store account and stored on iTunes.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:37 AM   #7
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

I love the "worth it question" the box is $85 to $99 depending on refurb or new. Just get it an be happy - Apple will update the existing box to include new software features. Just a few weeks ago we got Bluetooth support.

If Apple does come out with a new box at some point you can sell your current one for $50 and buy the new one.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:32 PM   #8
shahin90
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
What do you want it to do for you?
I don't have a smart TV and sometimes want to watch youtube on my TV and it's a hassle to connect the laptop for a short video. Also, I watch a lot of movies on my laptop, so it would be good to watch them on the TV with airplay.

Thanks to others for your answers. I think I will get one. I just wish it was jail broken though
shahin90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I don't have a smart TV and sometimes want to watch youtube on my TV and it's a hassle to connect the laptop for a short video. Also, I watch a lot of movies on my laptop, so it would be good to watch them on the TV with airplay.

Thanks to others for your answers. I think I will get one. I just wish it was jail broken though
You can do all you want to do on the current model.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater