Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Missmouse3
macrumors newbie

Puffin remembers me!

I downloaded puffin & after the free flash trial was over I uninstalled it. however, now when I reinstall it, it seems to remember I have used the 14 day free trial! How can this be? Have cleared my cookies!
Missmouse3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Missmouse3
macrumors newbie

Anyone?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmouse3 View Post
I downloaded puffin & after the free flash trial was over I uninstalled it. however, now when I reinstall it, it seems to remember I have used the 14 day free trial! How can this be? Have cleared my cookies!
If you like it, buy it. They use APIs within the app to identify your device/reinstalls.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Missmouse3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
If you like it, buy it. They use APIs within the app to identify your device/reinstalls.
" API"? I'd like to try it abroad first before I buy it hencethe desire to keep it enabled for a few more days! is this API thing like a cookie on a normal computer? must be a way of erasing it?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

They seem to be doing something with sharable codes, check out the comments for the app; there are tons of codes there. They claim if you use it both you and they get 4 more weeks for free.

It's $2.99 to buy, if you've used it that long, sounds like you should buy it.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
" API"? I'd like to try it abroad first before I buy it hencethe desire to keep it enabled for a few more days! is this API thing like a cookie on a normal computer? must be a way of erasing it?
I think you would have to log into the App Store with another account and download it again.

API meaning that the app has an identification on file for your device and it probably checks if it's valid via its servers. Kinda like what Adobe does with its software.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Missmouse3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I think you would have to log into the App Store with another account and download it again.

API meaning that the app has an identification on file for your device and it probably checks if it's valid via its servers. Kinda like what Adobe does with its software.
Is there some way in which I can hide this identifier then? I don't like the idea of this quite apart from the app we are discussing here!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Is there some way in which I can hide this identifier then? I don't like the idea of this quite apart from the app we are discussing here!
Apple doesn't allow developers to use UDIDs anymore, but developers still have right to use DRM measures. So no.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Missmouse3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Apple doesn't allow developers to use UDIDs anymore, but developers still have right to use DRM measures. So no.
Hmmm, so say I sold my ipad, the new owner trying to download puFfin would find they couldn't have a free flash trial? & etc?
This seems bizarre! There is no way a PC would behave in such a way!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Hmmm, so say I sold my ipad, the new owner trying to download puFfin would find they couldn't have a free flash trial? & etc?
This seems bizarre! There is no way a PC would behave in such a way!
Depends on what the author did to protect themselves. But at this point I recommend you stop your conversation here. Asking people on how to bypass the DRM of something is against the TOS of the forums.

BTW, you've obviously never used any Adobe product on a PC before, because it does basically this. It ties itself hard to the machine, yes is a way to "untie it" but it's not so easy. And Microsoft just announced that the new version of office ties itself to the machine and ONLY that machine forever. Thus you buy it, you install it, and that is the computer that can use that license. No more upgrading your computer and reinstalling, nope.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps