Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:04 AM   #76
Renzatic
macrumors 604

A guy can win hundreds of awards in his lifetime, but when a kid's show honors what you do, you know you've truly made it.

And I'm not being sarcastic about this, either. If a show like the Electric Company, Sesame Street, or Mr. Rogers (for the oldschool) has a segment on you that ends up with them shaking your hand or giving you a trophy, you know you're doing something at least really interesting.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish View Post
Agreed - but, to avoid (yet another) international incident over the pronunciation, let's just call it "ally" shall we?
We'll cal it The Silver Metal That's Not Silver Or Platinum"

"But wouldn't it be easier just to call it Alumi..."

NUH! Don't say it.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:04 AM   #77
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slix View Post
Well, not to advertise (since that's not allowed here), but I try to make my website look as clean and simple as possible, similar to how he has created sleek designs for Apple products.
Link!
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:13 AM   #78
designaholic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samac92 View Post
Pretty sure I saw the iWatch at 1:10
He didn't mention that part of her idea. Makes you think
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:16 AM   #79
ncsmith4
macrumors 6502

How can I watch this video on my iPad?
ncsmith4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:20 AM   #80
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ01 View Post
New iMac:
With the iPad-like adhesive severed, we bust out the heavy-duty stuff.
Repair faux pas alert! To save space and eliminate the gap between the glass and the pixels, Apple opted to fuse the front glass and the LCD. This means that if you want to replace one, you'll have to replace both.
The fused display may look awesome, but at what cost, Apple? At. What. Cost!?
The cost is quickly apparent: cutting open the display destroys the foam adhesive securing it shut. Putting things back together will require peeling off and replacing all of the original adhesive, which will be a major pain for repairers.

And thats just one thing...there is more.. for you to find out what those are.
Is that from iFixit? They're not exactly objective. Also nothing you just quoted equates to an iMac having to be "thrown away" if something goes wrong with it.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:20 AM   #81
champ01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
A guy can win hundreds of awards in his lifetime, but when a kid's show honors what you do, you know you've truly made it.
The word you're looking for is "marketing"
And yes that is truly sad indeed.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:20 AM   #82
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsmith4 View Post
How can I watch this video on my iPad?
Puffin browser.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:22 AM   #83
champ01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Is that from iFixit? They're not exactly objective. Also nothing you just quoted equates to an iMac having to be "thrown away" if something goes wrong with it.
Like I said before. Its impossible to go in discussion with fanboys. (To be fair I was one of them for a long time)

If things are not easy to repair the design is a joke. Period.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:24 AM   #84
leok
macrumors newbie

iPad friendly here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21470637
leok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:29 AM   #85
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
The word you're looking for is "marketing"
And yes that is truly sad indeed.
Some of you people are too cynical for your own good.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:33 AM   #86
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

The BBC is obsessed with a handful of brands and gives undue prominence to them in various outlets (mainly news), despite the Editorial Guidelines forbidding this to happen. Apple is one of these brands, although Twitter and Facebook receive a little more exposure.

This 'award' is not really surprising.
neiltc13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:33 AM   #87
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspode67 View Post
Who watched Blue Peter, who watched Magpie, and who watched both?
I was a Blue Peter fan but I'd occasionally watch Magpie for the music, especially when Slade and T Rex were on.
OllyW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #88
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Like I said before. Its impossible to go in discussion with fanboys. (To be fair I was one of them for a long time)

If things are not easy to repair the design is a joke. Period.
So because I don't agree with you on this subject I'm a fanboy? Real intelligent discussion there.

Do yo have any stats on people who have the new iMacs and have run into issues getting them repaired? I'm specifically talking about taking the machine in to be repaired and having a technician say it's not serviceable.

iFixit is just sore because devices that are more difficult for the average joe to repair hurts their business. But who made them God when it comes to good/bad design?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #89
Attonine
macrumors 6502

I've got a Blue Peter badge, just one of the regular plastic ones. I wrote a letter to the show when I was about 9 or 10. Apparently they felt the letter was so interesting that I should be awarded with a badge!
Attonine is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:38 AM   #90
champ01

Quote:
Some of you people are too cynical for your own good.
If only people were a little more cynical they would know that they are forced with marketing techniques 24/7 their entire life.

Example: Everyone that bought the iPad Mini is seriously not thinking straight. We all know the iPad Mini could've had easily a Retina display. Yet there are enough suckers out their buying everything that Apple puts on the market.
Why do these people buy these crappy products.... MARKETING.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #91
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:

iFixit is just sore because devices that are more difficult for the average joe to repair hurts their business. But who made them God when it comes to good/bad design?
They don't criticize design. They never say "It's almost impossible to get into, and once you're in there, everything has been superglued to the motherboard, which takes hours to remove. But...you know...the chassis is just so sleek and stylish, and projects classiness with every beveled edge. I don't think we could give it anything less than a 6/10".

No. What they do is look at a device and give it a low score if it's difficult to fix, and a high one if it's easy.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #92
mrhick01
macrumors regular

Quote:
Isn't it weird?

We got Jonathan Ive saying he liked the idea of using old things for a second life.

Yet he designs stuff that you must trow away when its broken because the design makes it impossible to repair it.

Ive.. your designs may look nice but overall they suck.
Stop with your planned obsolescence designs!
You can recycle ANY Apple device by dropping it off at an Apple Store.

Stop with the disinformation.
mrhick01 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 AM   #93
woodbine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie View Post
Ive is becoming rather a portly gentleman...

But must be rather cool being shown some design ideas, on a device you designed.
too much cheesecake factory
woodbine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:47 AM   #94
champ01

Quote:
So because I don't agree with you on this subject I'm a fanboy? Real intelligent discussion there.

Do yo have any stats on people who have the new iMacs and have run into issues getting them repaired? I'm specifically talking about taking the machine in to be repaired and having a technician say it's not serviceable.
Having a technician replace my hard drive. Are you serious???
And thats with warranty. You get ripped by Apple when the warranty is over.

Quote:
iFixit is a great site that not have their heads in Apple's bottom yet. Be happy that they are still independent. At least they try to be honest.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:47 AM   #95
ncsmith4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
"This content is not currently available for your device."

Help?
ncsmith4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:49 AM   #96
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
If only people were a little more cynical they would know that they are forced with marketing techniques 24/7 their entire life.

Example: Everyone that bought the iPad Mini is seriously not thinking straight. We all know the iPad Mini could've had easily a Retina display. Yet there are enough suckers out their buying everything that Apple puts on the market.
Have you watched the video? Other than having a couple iPad Minis in there, which they don't focus on or even mention by name (to the untrained eye, they could be any tablet from that distance), the video is all about what Ives designed as a kid, what some kids are designing now, and throws in a shot of an aluminium milling machine at work as a bonus towards the end. There's no direct mention of Apple or any of their products in the entire clip.

There's no real marketing appeal to this.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:54 AM   #97
superspiffy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to superspiffy
Did Sir Ive just get a tad bit chubby?

Last edited by superspiffy; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
superspiffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:57 AM   #98
Jaredly
macrumors member

Quote:
OMG a real fanboy. How can I ever have a normal conversation with you.

Have you even seen the new Macbook Retina and iMac?

And who cares what Microsoft does. Go back to the iFixit site and see what scores new Apple products get.
The show would teach you how to make stuff out of broken and unused things around the house "such as a deodorant bottle". My sister has just sculpted my old PowerBook into a butterfly. (Not the best looking thing but it is art) And that is proof that these products can take on new life after they are done being used just like This tv show shows kids how to do.
Jaredly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:58 AM   #99
champ01

Quote:
Have you watched the video? Other than having a couple iPad Minis in there, which they don't focus on or even mention by name (to the untrained eye, they could be any tablet from that distance), the video is all about what Ives designed as a kid, what some kids are designing now, and throws in a shot of an aluminium milling machine at work as a bonus towards the end. There's no direct mention of Apple or any of their products in the entire clip.

There's no real marketing appeal to this.
You really have no idea how marketing works do you? Do you have kids? If so tell me how their actions (what they think they need/want) are created.

Btw the iPad was just an example.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:58 AM   #100
Kabeyun
macrumors regular

Quote:

I gotta jump in. You're HILARIOUS! All these people who buy Apple stuff in droves aren't really as satisfied as they believe they are; the clever, Machiavellian Apple marketing team brainwashed them into buying garbage. I feel so sorry for these poor Apple product owners who are so misguided for liking what they were cleverly lured into buying.

Wow. I wish we were all as insightful. Now I must go throw away my watch (also a piece of junk since I can't fix it myself) because it's running slow.
Kabeyun is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion