Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:00 PM   #101
rmwebs
Banned

You're welcome. Reported this to MR 2 minutes after it appears on the BBC site. Wont bother in future.

Last edited by rmwebs; Feb 15, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:07 PM   #102
champ01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeyun View Post
I gotta jump in. You're HILARIOUS! All these people who buy Apple stuff in droves aren't really as satisfied as they believe they are; the clever, Machiavellian Apple marketing team brainwashed them into buying garbage. I feel so sorry for these poor Apple product owners who are so misguided for liking what they were cleverly lured into buying.

Wow. I wish we were all as insightful. Now I must go throw away my watch (also a piece of junk since I can't fix it myself) because it's running slow.
This shows how comfortable you are with waste. Keep laughing.
You have no idea how the economy works. Go read some books about the monetary system then get back to me.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:09 PM   #103
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJobs2.0 View Post
Jonathan Ivy - "I have selected this young man as the winner since he looks like a younger version of me, but with more hair"
That rings a bell...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:16 PM   #104
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ01 View Post
You really have no idea how marketing works do you? Do you have kids? If so tell me how their actions (what they think they need/want) are created.
That's the thing. The clip isn't about Jony Ives the Apple Design Guru. It's about Jony Ive, Design Guy.

It's too subtle and slow for children's marketing. Too nonspecific for adult marketing. Maybe there's a scene before the clip they're not showing, where they go "We went to visit Jonathan Ives, head designer at APPLE INC., makers of the WORLD FAMOUS IPAD, IPAD MINI, AND IPHONES WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE AND CHANGED OUR LIVES FOREVER", but the clip as it is above is nothing more than the host talking to a designer about one project a kid had done for the show, and said designer being awarded a gold badge for...they don't say. For any kid watching, it's just some old guy who obviously does cool stuff (judging by the lab he's in) being awarded for doing some unspecified cool thing.

The only demographic it could be directly marketing to are people who already know who Jony Ive is and what he does. For them, it's an advert preaching to the choir.

Last edited by Renzatic; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:19 PM   #105
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Ive is awesome, can't wait for Leander Kahney's new book about him
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:20 PM   #106
SiPat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
The BBC is obsessed with a handful of brands and gives undue prominence to them in various outlets (mainly news), despite the Editorial Guidelines forbidding this to happen. Apple is one of these brands, although Twitter and Facebook receive a little more exposure.

This 'award' is not really surprising.
Are you serious? The BBC is mostly anti-Apple -- have you read anything written by their chief technologist Rory Cellan-Jones?

As far as Jonny Ive being awarded the Blue Peter badge? Blue Peter were probably in the back of the queue given the number of awards Ive has had. The video nearly brought a tear to my eye -- does he even look like he has millions in the bank? He was so humble and I think a tad embarrassed with all the attention he's getting.
SiPat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:33 PM   #107
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Having a technician replace my hard drive. Are you serious???
And thats with warranty. You get ripped by Apple when the warranty is over.

iFixit is a great site that not have their heads in Apple's bottom yet. Be happy that they are still independent. At least they try to be honest.
As I suspected you have an agenda just like ifxit. But your agenda doesn't determine what is/isn't good design. It's just your opinion.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:36 PM   #108
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomish69 View Post
Love it, how on earth did the Beeb get him on Blue Peter..good for him to do it and Apple's PR letting him..
What he does on his own time is his choice, yes he has the implications on the image that is 'Apple' to consider but a man with his big boots really does have the power to say, yep, I'm doing this today would like to do it in Fabrication room 3 and will be done when I'm done.

----------

Quote:
Having a technician replace my hard drive. Are you serious???
And thats with warranty. You get ripped by Apple when the warranty is over.

iFixit is a great site that not have their heads in Apple's bottom yet. Be happy that they are still independent. At least they try to be honest.
Clearly you haven't looked at the latest surface article on ifixit.
All Taken is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:50 PM   #109
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
They don't criticize design. They never say "It's almost impossible to get into, and once you're in there, everything has been superglued to the motherboard, which takes hours to remove. But...you know...the chassis is just so sleek and stylish, and projects classiness with every beveled edge. I don't think we could give it anything less than a 6/10".

No. What they do is look at a device and give it a low score if it's difficult to fix, and a high one if it's easy.
But the point trying to be made is if something isn't user repairable its crap design and using iFixit comments to back up their assertion. Also Kyle Wiens penned a letter to Ive complaining about Apple (in his opinion) not following Dieter Rams principles for good design. I guess we'll see if he pens a similar letter to Panos Panay over the Surface Pro design. Personally I think it's all much ado about nothing. I'm sure Apple and Microsoft aren't losing sleep over the ratings they get on iFixit.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:03 PM   #110
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredly View Post
My sister has just sculpted my old PowerBook into a butterfly. (Not the best looking thing but it is art) And that is proof that these products can take on new life after they are done being used

HA

hahaha

And we've officially reached a new level of macrumors delusion

Congrats
you people smh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:10 PM   #111
chadley_chad
Banned

It's about time creepy, cheesy Ive did some designing ... can't say we've seen anything 'revolutioary', different or for that matter better than the competition for a number of years!!!
chadley_chad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:14 PM   #112
MisterBigMack
macrumors member

lets get back on topic....

brilliant this!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:33 PM   #113
champ01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
As I suspected you have an agenda just like ifxit. But your agenda doesn't determine what is/isn't good design. It's just your opinion.
No I don't have an agenda. I do run a business so I know a thing or two about marketing, fanboys etc.
My business runs completely on Apple computers btw.
So please do tell me again what my so called agenda is.

I don't care about opinions. All I care for is the truth.
Fanboys can't coop with that because of their feelings for a mighty brand or whatever.

Btw almost all computer companies build crap. Its not only Apple.
Selling crap means more profit for a longer period of time. If you don't get that you know nothing about how an industry works.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Taken View Post
Clearly you haven't looked at the latest surface article on ifixit.
I did but what does MS got to do with this? We're talking about Apple. I could care less what MS does. I'm an Apple guy

Btw this is the score of the RT tablet. (but I could say the same for every product that Apple builds)

I have no problem with being wrong if that would be the case. (ƒuck my ego)
We simply can't denied that almost every product is build like crap nowadays, missing features that could've easily been added.

Why is there no Retina iPad mini, new Mac Pro, Touch screen Macs, Retina on all MB's (including the MB Air)? These products can easily be build today yet Apple won't make them. The most important reason behind that is so that Apple can make more profit by delaying products.

Its how business survives the economic system. Apple of course didn't design the system and they can't escape it either. We're all screwed by this system. Most of the time the more money companies make the worse their products become. I applause to those who quit their jobs because they saw how their hard work only filled the pockets of shareholders.

Take the car industry (because its an easy example for most people to understand)
If Ford would build a car with self reparable materials, less parts, cleaner engine etc. it could last a lifetime. It would also kill the entire car industry within a few years.

Anyway... I just wanted to point out that the designs look nice but as a total they lack so much. Don't we want the best possible? I didn't watch the whole video only the a few minutes. I wasn't commenting the whole video just that about Ive saying he liked how you could keep using things.

Last edited by champ01; Feb 15, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:39 PM   #114
crepuscular
macrumors newbie

Quote:
This shows how comfortable you are with waste. Keep laughing.
You have no idea how the economy works. Go read some books about the monetary system then get back to me.
How about you just go away; you're clearly just a git with a grudge.
crepuscular is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:57 PM   #115
tangentially
macrumors newbie

Love the headline but...

Love the headline:

"Jonathan Ive Inspires Child Designers..."

but what exactly is involved in designing a child? Also why do those who design children need inspiration?
tangentially is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:58 PM   #116
stevemiller
macrumors 6502a

i enjoy the fact that most people's (including my own) first reaction to this article was amazement to see ive smile. even just a little.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:15 PM   #117
Icy1007
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisondavies View Post
aluminium. :d
Actually, the word is Aluminum.
Icy1007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:17 PM   #118
ashdelacroix
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
Ohhhhh. You mean you were inspired by Google. OK, that makes sense.
What the hell's wrong with you?
ashdelacroix is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:26 PM   #119
satkin2
macrumors regular

The unibody Blue Peter badge is something special, really nice touch. Blue Peter was a cornerstone of may youngsters growing up in Britain, hope Jonny being on there helps inspire the next generation of great designers.
satkin2 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:29 PM   #120
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post
Jonathan Ive has a Blue Peter?!

They really should've thought more about the name for that award.
The show is called Blue Peter and its been around since 1958. Blue Peter is not an award, its a very well known show, the worlds longest running children's show.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:58 PM   #121
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
It's about time creepy, cheesy Ive did some designing ... can't say we've seen anything 'revolutioary', different or for that matter better than the competition for a number of years!!!
We really need downvoting back.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:15 PM   #122
spetznatz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh988 View Post
Both.

One of my junior school classmates was on Magpie for finding a 13-leaf clover!
I remember that... It was the Susan Stranks / Jenny Hanley / Tony Bastaple / Mick Robinson era... Early seventies ... Or am I getting all confused...?

Back to Blue Peter, I'm old enough to Remember the greatest ever blue Peter presenter – John Noakes – training with the red devils (I think... a parachute regiment from the British Army, at any rate) and becoming the first ever civilian to skydive from 5 miles up: I'd like to see any of the modern-day presenters try that one...

Oh, And some of our non-UK members might like to try googling the words 'blue Peter' and 'elephant'…

Last edited by spetznatz; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
spetznatz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:22 PM   #123
EBreakingWave
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Here's one I made earlier.
I knew the moment he was going to say that. I was grinning like a cheshire cat!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:26 PM   #124
JackHobbs
macrumors regular

What I particularly liked (apart from the bashful smiling of Jony) was the fact that the phrase " and here is one I made earlier". It brings back happy memories of John Noakes or Valerie Singleton making something, glueing stuff or using sticky back plastic and it looking a bit rubbish. They then brought out the one they had made earlier where the glue had dried and it looked absolutely amazing.

Who can forget their amazing Tracy Island or the Advent candle thing made up of coat hangers that looked like it was a fire risk.

I thought I was a Magpie type of girl but clearly I watched Blue Peter more than I thought!

It's not quite as epic as the elephant but for the Americans and nostalgic Brits, google Simon Groom, Blue Peter and Knockers.
JackHobbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:47 PM   #125
dubhe
macrumors 65816

Do you think he used any sticky back plastic?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion