Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:59 PM   #126
spetznatz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHobbs View Post
It's not quite as epic as the elephant but for the Americans and nostalgic Brits, google Simon Groom, Blue Peter and Knockers.
Hah! Apparently, he knew exactly what he was doing when he said that... And, yes, the 'Advent Crown': 'only four more Blue Peters 'til Christmas'...

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Feb 15, 2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Clean up
spetznatz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:04 PM   #127
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
But the point trying to be made is if something isn't user repairable its crap design and using iFixit comments to back up their assertion. Also Kyle Wiens penned a letter to Ive complaining about Apple (in his opinion) not following Dieter Rams principles for good design. I guess we'll see if he pens a similar letter to Panos Panay over the Surface Pro design. Personally I think it's all much ado about nothing. I'm sure Apple and Microsoft aren't losing sleep over the ratings they get on iFixit.
You do have to admit that it would be nice if all these tablets could be self serviced though. At the very least, they could make it easy for those in the repair business to get into.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:08 PM   #128
spetznatz
macrumors regular

Would our non-UK members understand what 'knockers' were in that context, I wonder?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:09 PM   #129
whatever
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to whatever
Quote:
But the point trying to be made is if something isn't user repairable its crap design and using iFixit comments to back up their assertion. Also Kyle Wiens penned a letter to Ive complaining about Apple (in his opinion) not following Dieter Rams principles for good design. I guess we'll see if he pens a similar letter to Panos Panay over the Surface Pro design. Personally I think it's all much ado about nothing. I'm sure Apple and Microsoft aren't losing sleep over the ratings they get on iFixit.
I agree. If my iPad breaks, I go to an Apple store and they normally just replace it (free of charge), if they don't I toss it and buy a newer model. It's not like they're very expensive.

It's not like my TV, stereo, microwave, etc are user repairable either.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:15 PM   #130
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
I agree. If my iPad breaks, I go to an Apple store and they normally just replace it (free of charge), if they don't I toss it and buy a newer model. It's not like they're very expensive.
I dunno. If I kept having to buy a new iPad every year because they kept breaking, I'd probably opt for something a little more solid and well built.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:18 PM   #131
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
<Yawn>

Gold Blue Peter? WTF? The guy is a friggin' KNIGHT fer chrissakes!
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:46 PM   #132
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
<Yawn>

You would be surprised in the UK you have more chance of getting a knighthood than getting a Gold Blue Peter - in the 50 years the show has been running they have only given out 1,000 gold badges. Prior winners include the Her Majesty the Queen, JK Rowling and David Beckam. For a designer like Jonny I have a sneaking suspicion this award was up there with his knighthood.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:07 PM   #133
iSimx
macrumors 6502

Good for Jony! he looked genuinely happy to receive it
iSimx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:19 PM   #134
ditzy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
<Yawn>

Easier to get a knighthood than a Gold Blue Peter badge. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually meant more to him.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:20 PM   #135
peterh988
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetznatz View Post
I remember that... It was the Susan Stranks / Jenny Hanley / Tony Bastaple / Mick Robinson era... Early seventies ... Or am I getting all confused...?
That would have been in my third year at junior school, so '74-75 time.
peterh988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:27 PM   #136
Slix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Link!
From what I understand of the rules about advertising, this is allowed, but if for some reason it's not, mods please remove.

http://poliwager.net
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:54 PM   #137
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
You do have to admit that it would be nice if all these tablets could be self serviced though. At the very least, they could make it easy for those in the repair business to get into.
I guess I'm lucky because I've never had to have an iDevice repaired (don't own a Mac). But if I did I'd take it to an Apple store. That's why I have AppleCare. I just think its the future and iFixit will have to get over it.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:42 PM   #138
madmin
macrumors member

BBC gold

Am I the only one who thinks Johnny should stick that BBC where the sun don't shine
madmin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:47 PM   #139
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pock View Post
Er yes. Because he is from the UK.
Certainly, but the poster I quoted made it sound like he only pronounced it "aluminium" because he was being presented a british TV award of sorts. Suggesting he would have pronounced it "aluminum" otherwise.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:53 PM   #140
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I dunno. If I kept having to buy a new iPad every year because they kept breaking, I'd probably opt for something a little more solid and well built.
There you go being logical again. At times logic doesn't go over well here.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:01 PM   #141
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
There you go being logical again. At times logic doesn't go over well here.
Yeah, but you know me. Despite the undue pain. The extreme suffering. The unfathomable anguish. The complete and utter pointlessness of it all...

I'll always be an optimist.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:04 PM   #142
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrevers View Post
You can't buy gold Blue Peter badges.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gold-Blue...item2c6bfedc38

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOVELTY-G...item337fbb5341

Ok, they're not genuine, but from a distance...

Being an Aussie, I only know Blue Peter via Doctor Who... (THANK-YOU Blue Peter for deciding to show the Hartnell regeneration!!!)

But obviously it's a pretty big deal, and it's great to see Ive accept the award.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:04 PM   #143
champ01

Quote:
That's why I have AppleCare.
You do understand that you pay extra because Apple doesn't care right?

The only reason why people buy AppleCare is because marketing works. Its profitable in America to sell these types of structures. In Europe you get 2 or 3 years but never the less lots of people don't know the laws that well so they also fall for Apple's marketing anyway. (many articles about this on MacRumors)

If we are really honest with ourselves we would come to the conclusion that one year warranties are a complete joke if products are well designed.
Paying extra to get 2 more years only shows companies can sell anything to almost everyone without them knowing they got ripped off.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:44 AM   #144
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ01 View Post
The word you're looking for is "marketing"
And yes that is truly sad indeed.
so, ppl who are jobless are eligible for BP award?
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:24 AM   #145
HelveticaRoman
macrumors 6502

This will have American's scratching their heads, but to the Brits it doesn't come much better than a gold Blue Peter Badge (spoken in a John Noakes accent). He's finally arrIVEd!

Last edited by HelveticaRoman; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
HelveticaRoman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:42 AM   #146
syd430

Light blue shirt on light blue pants. Not what I would expect from one of the worlds foremost designers.

Anyway good on him on this award
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:13 AM   #147
netdudeuk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
OMG a real fanboy. How can I ever have a normal conversation with you..
Every time that I see his sig, I think about how disturbing it is.

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that JI in the avatar as well ? Scary if it is.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmin View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Johnny should stick that BBC where the sun don't shine
Yes.
netdudeuk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:21 AM   #148
fruityone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Light blue shirt on light blue pants. Not what I would expect from one of the worlds foremost designers.

Anyway good on him on this award

I dont think his passion for great design stretches to his clothes......
fruityone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:34 AM   #149
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You do understand that you pay extra because Apple doesn't care right?

The only reason why people buy AppleCare is because marketing works. Its profitable in America to sell these types of structures. In Europe you get 2 or 3 years but never the less lots of people don't know the laws that well so they also fall for Apple's marketing anyway. (many articles about this on MacRumors)

If we are really honest with ourselves we would come to the conclusion that one year warranties are a complete joke if products are well designed.
Paying extra to get 2 more years only shows companies can sell anything to almost everyone without them knowing they got ripped off.
Well, my imac's screen started blacking out about 1.5 years after I bought it. Thanks to Applecare, they sent people down to bring it back for servicing, and brought it back to my house. I think the servicing costs saved alone more than offsets whatever I spent on applecare.

And if Apple offered "free 3 year warranty", it simply means the costs are factored into the initial selling price. So either way, I don't see how we would be any better off.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:50 AM   #150
4D4M
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
GREAT POINT!!!

Some people when they hear "minimalist website" might think Google, but we know that when all the smart hip people like yourself hear "minimalist website" they think iphone....
Thanks, but I'm far too old to be hip. Were you bullied at school or something? My point was, instead of throwing sarcastic jibes and thinly veiled insults around, why not try to contribute something positive? Which is after all the underlying theme of this story.
4D4M is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion