Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox has launched a new version of its iOS app, providing push notifications of shared folders for the first time. Previously, when waiting for someone to share a folder with you, you had to repeatedly open and close the app to check for its availability.

Dropbox-push.jpg
The feature is likely to be most appreciated by business users, as Dropbox file-sharing has become a very popular way to work around the size limits of email attachments when distributing large presentations.

Dropbox 2.1 also adds better support for PDF viewing, displaying multiple pages on a screen, and file-sorting by date-modified, another feature of greatest value to business users who often deal with frequently-updated documents where it is vital to be working with the latest version.

Dropbox is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

(Image via Cult of Mac)

Article Link: Dropbox for iOS App Gains Push Notifications for Shared Folders, New PDF Viewer

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Not only that, but the best part of the update is that you can now see your files from newest to oldest too! This is one of the things that many like me appreciate it, especially if you are just accustomed to throwing anything inside and need to access the newest stuff first.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Yawn, Box is much much better. Stopped using DB because honestly it felt like amateur hour compared to others. Settled on box because they are enterprise level and were giving 50gb for signing up. This was like a year and half ago though.

S

syd430

Aaaaaand still no text editor

I'm tired of using buggy 3rd party apps to edit simple txt files.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Not only that, but the best part of the update is that you can now see your files from newest to oldest too! This is one of the things that many like me appreciate it, especially if you are just accustomed to throwing anything inside and need to access the newest stuff first.
Is this by created/modified date or by date added to Dropbox? I often add files I haven't touched in a while to my Dropbox folder because I'll need them, so I'm not sure where that falls.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Is this by created/modified date or by date added to Dropbox? I often add files I haven't touched in a while to my Dropbox folder because I'll need them, so I'm not sure where that falls.

Added/modified to dropbox, it goes from newest to oldest.
No option for date created.
The newest/modified in dropbox is more used than created though.

Mac_i_Am

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2004
austin, tx
Please please PLEASE do something about not being able to see the full file name.

No one at Dropbox has any files with long names? :rolleyes:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Yawn, Box is much much better. Stopped using DB because honestly it felt like amateur hour compared to others. Settled on box because they are enterprise level and were giving 50gb for signing up. This was like a year and half ago though.

That's the exact reason I don't use Box.

It just feels too corporate and they don't seem to want consumers paying them anything.

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Aaaaaand still no text editor

I'm tired of using buggy 3rd party apps to edit simple txt files.

When did Dropbox become a document editor?
I thought they were a sync and storage kinda company.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
They are now using http://pspdfkit.com as their new PDF viewer. (I helped them integrate it)

Very cool! They provide a great service, and this iOS app is one of my most loved and most used apps (above even the games I play, which is saying a lot!). Good for you, and look forward to more from them (and updates from you), thanks!

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Dropbox is wonderful. Also, how come Adobe PDF viewers are the only ones that require hourly updates?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Is there a way to add people to shared folders in the app? I find this to be a strange omission if not.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Is there a way to add people to shared folders in the app? I find this to be a strange omission if not.

I found it odd too - tried to use it the other day and it was clunky having to drop into Safari to complete the task :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.