Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:12 PM   #26
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Don't know why everyone thinks this is such a huge market. There hasn't been much to prove it yet.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:13 PM   #27
jm001
macrumors 6502

I want my PEBBLE!!! =(
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:14 PM   #28
naeS1Sean
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Not on my watch.
Hahahaha
naeS1Sean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:15 PM   #29
teco221
macrumors newbie

Just like Eric Schmidt

For next two years, Samesung will have a lot of products like Apple, because Apple must tell Samesung certain new projects to see if they are able to produce. Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.

That's how Samsung won over television. Sony trusted a tiny company in S Korea called "Gold Star" to manufacture it's TV, but Sony didn't know one day that tiny company would steal its technology then turn around called itself Samesung and made the same tv but without all the R&D and cut the price in half to kill Sony.
teco221 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:21 PM   #30
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by teco221 View Post
Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.
Gawwwddd. Where do you people get these already thousands of times debunked rumors from anyway? Is there like a board everyone goes to where you all do nothing but spin unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the tech industry for hours on end or something?
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:22 PM   #31
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

But other companies beat them both anyway? There was even that phone watch a few years ago.

The whole samsung vs apple thing is getting so tiresome.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:23 PM   #32
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post

Isn't it? I was sick of it after 2 months. :P
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:26 PM   #33
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Don't know why everyone thinks this is such a huge market. There hasn't been much to prove it yet.
the wrist watch killing the pocket watch comes to mind.
ghettochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 PM   #34
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

It's a preemtive move by Samsung. They release fake screenshots so when iWatch comes out, Samsung could copy it and say "look, it's not a copy, we were working on watches way before Apple! Haven't you seen those leaked images?"
Mactendo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:29 PM   #35
jamojamo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Gawwwddd. Where do you people get these already thousands of times debunked rumors from anyway? Is there like a board everyone goes to where you all do nothing but spin unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the tech industry for hours on end or something?
Oh great, now you did it. You are going to have all these conspiracy theory junkies wondering why they didn't get the secret invitation to the private message board. I bet Samsung black-balled them....

jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 PM   #36
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
But other companies beat them both anyway? There was even that phone watch a few years ago.

yup

Quote:
A watch phone is a smartwatch that doubles as a mobile phone. The first watch phone was a 1999 Samsung SPH-WP10.[1][2] The newer watch phones are made by companies including LG, Samsung, Swap and Phenom. The benefits of a watch phone include being instantly accessible to answer calls, difficult to lose or forget, not likely to be dropped, and difficult to steal. Several Chinese companies offer watch phones at a starting price of around US$89.[3]
granted that's from Wikipedia
uknowimright is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 PM   #37
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamojamo View Post
Oh great, now you did it. You are going to have all these conspiracy theory junkies wondering why they didn't get the secret invitation to the private message board. I bet Samsung black-balled them....

Samsung...in cahoots with Google...with Eric Schmidt egging their house in the middle of the night. They're the ones keeping most people away from the conspiracy boards. They don't want anyone to know what they do, and they're willing to go to any lengths necessary to stop the Truth from spreading.

Also FEMA.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:39 PM   #38
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
I mean..what is Samsung going to release?
They don't have anyone to copy for the device/OS.
Screenshots
Mactendo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:44 PM   #39
blahblah100
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Is there like a board everyone goes to where you all do nothing but spin unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the tech industry for hours on end or something?
Yes, and you are on it right now.
blahblah100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:48 PM   #40
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Do people really want these hipster watches?

I will pass on these things for sure. I regular nice watch and my phone is good enough for me.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:51 PM   #41
nfl46
macrumors 601

Why not let them release it, so Apple can learn from Samsung's mistakes...

It seems like they are trying to match nearly every major Apple product. Oh well, competition is good. Samsung will have their own OS soon, and won't run Android.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:52 PM   #42
NewAnger
Banned

What is it with these watches all of a sudden? With people who actually wear watches being pretty slim these days, is there really a market here?
NewAnger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #43
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Competition is always good for consumer even if most (maybe just the most vocal shall I say) of you wish there was only apple in the world.
I agree, and I very much hope to see Samsung do more competing with innovation and less with copying. Copying is no good for the consumer--it's anti-choice. I want more CHOICE in the market, and less of "Apple + Apple clones." What can Samsung do all on their own? I'd like to see consumers be able to buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
What is it with these watches all of a sudden? With people who actually wear watches being pretty slim these days, is there really a market here?
The idea I'm sure is that it's not really a watch. Just called that because it's on your wrist. It's another kind of device entirely, with time-telling being one of it's less important abilities.

An analogy a few years ago would be: "Almost nobody uses tablets. Why would Apple make one?"

As for why it's suddenly a "big deal" to report on... several reasons:

a) Apple is rumored to do it. (And they already started, a little, with the former Nano.)

b) ... um... no, that's about it. The media inflates vague Apple possibilities into big deals.
nagromme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:59 PM   #44
ppdix
macrumors 6502

Square iPod Nano anyone?

I've had a Nano for a couple of years with a wrist band. I mainly use it to work out but it could easily be converted into a smart watch.

Maybe Apple had the iWatch concept and didn't realize it...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:13 PM   #45
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
For next two years, Samesung will have a lot of products like Apple, because Apple must tell Samesung certain new projects to see if they are able to produce. Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.

That's how Samsung won over television. Sony trusted a tiny company in S Korea called "Gold Star" to manufacture it's TV, but Sony didn't know one day that tiny company would steal its technology then turn around called itself Samesung and made the same tv but without all the R&D and cut the price in half to kill Sony.
I am pretty sure GoldStar refers to LG?

When Lucky and GoldStart combined they called it LG
Crzyrio is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:15 PM   #46
Munch
macrumors member

Quote:

I didn't know it was possible to cram so much misinformation in one post. The most obvious one: GoldStar became LG. Samsung was always Samsung.
Munch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:18 PM   #47
need4speed
macrumors newbie

Whose design will samsung steal...

So whose design will samsung steal this time? These guys are not leaders in innovations. They are nothing but copy cats. So who cares if they beat Apple. If Apple does come out with a watch, they will blow Samsung out of the water.
need4speed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:38 PM   #48
trunten
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmansachs View Post
Insert Witty Remark Here.
Watch out Apple.

So apple will be seconds to market?

Will these watches prove popular? Only time will tell.

Samsung really tick me off.

Alarming!

Can't wait for the 5 inch version.

--------------------------
Take your pick
trunten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:47 PM   #49
Tomacorno
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm001 View Post
I want my PEBBLE!!! =(
I was not too concerned about the delays in getting my Pebble...at first. If an Apple iWatch and a Samsung andwatch come out before I receive it though, I will be annoyed.

Yes, I know of the other smartish watches out there. I wanted one that worked with my iPhone.
Tomacorno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:01 PM   #50
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBeats View Post
That looks a helluva lot like a B&W windows 8 metro theme. Samsung decided to copy someone else rather than poke the Apple?
Time to wake up Redmond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion