Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:55 AM   #1
wiles01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Air Video directly stream to Apple TV?

I have had Air Video for quite a while and it works flawlessly to stream and live convert videos to my iPad mini and my iPhone 4.

I'm still trying to find a clear answer if Air Video will live convert straight to Apple TV hooked up to my HDTV or not?

I find answers that are a year or two old that say "no" or that you have to play it on your iPhone or iPad and then direct it towards the Apple TV device.

Have they finally fixed it so that the Apple TV device can directly access and play live converted videos from Air Video or not without having to dink with your iPhone or iPad first?

Thanks.
wiles01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:11 PM   #2
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God
 
FreakinEurekan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Doesn't appear to, looking at some threads on Air Video's forums. You go through the iOS device first, then AirPlay to ATV.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:56 PM   #3
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiles01 View Post
I have had Air Video for quite a while and it works flawlessly to stream and live convert videos to my iPad mini and my iPhone 4.

I'm still trying to find a clear answer if Air Video will live convert straight to Apple TV hooked up to my HDTV or not?

I find answers that are a year or two old that say "no" or that you have to play it on your iPhone or iPad and then direct it towards the Apple TV device.

Have they finally fixed it so that the Apple TV device can directly access and play live converted videos from Air Video or not without having to dink with your iPhone or iPad first?

Thanks.
I guess my question is how would it? You can't install the Air Video app onto the AppleTV right?
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
You airplay from the air video app on the iPhone or ipad
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:58 PM   #5
wiles01
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
I guess my question is how would it? You can't install the Air Video app onto the AppleTV right?
I'm running Air Video Server as the file server on my PC and it streams the live converted video to my iPad or iPhone, locally or over the internet using the Air Video app on my IOS device.

I would think since Apple TV has to have some of its own OS on-board, including its own HD space that they would set it so that it could be the direct interface to stream the content from the PC without having to use your iPhone or iPad as the middleman?

You should be able to tell your Apple TV to connect to the Air Video server and be able to look at the available content right on your HDTV screen and select it right from there to play.

It would only make sense I figured. They are already on Apple TV version 3 right? I'm surprised they haven't done this yet?
wiles01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:10 PM   #6
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiles01 View Post
I'm running Air Video Server as the file server on my PC and it streams the live converted video to my iPad or iPhone, locally or over the internet using the Air Video app on my IOS device.

I would think since Apple TV has to have some of its own OS on-board, including its own HD space that they would set it so that it could be the direct interface to stream the content from the PC without having to use your iPhone or iPad as the middleman?

You should be able to tell your Apple TV to connect to the Air Video server and be able to look at the available content right on your HDTV screen and select it right from there to play.

It would only make sense I figured. They are already on Apple TV version 3 right? I'm surprised they haven't done this yet?
Yes but how do you tell your Appletv to contact the air video server without expanding its capabilities? And the only way to expand its capabilities would be to install an app (ie something like the Netflix app), but you can't install any apps on the Appletv right? You can "beam" video to the Appletv by using air parrot or airplay mirroring. This process would not require an iOS device.
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:40 PM   #7
wesk702
macrumors 65816
 
wesk702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The hood
It's actually quite convenient because I just use my iphone like a remote with a display and just stream.
wesk702 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple September 2013 Media Event: Spoiler Free Video Stream [Video Posted] MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 259 Oct 22, 2013 11:00 AM
Apple to Stream Live Video of WWDC 2013 Keynote to Apple TV MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 147 Jun 11, 2013 03:50 PM
Apple to Stream Live Video of 'iPad Mini' Media Event to Apple TV MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 203 Jun 10, 2013 11:14 AM
All iPads: Can I use a file storage cloud to stream directly onto my ipad? Ma2k5 iPad 5 Dec 21, 2012 06:48 AM
Stream from hard drive directly to TV From A Buick 8 Apple TV and Home Theater 9 Sep 30, 2012 06:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC