Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Just got my Juicepack, nice looking design, makes the iPhone 5 huge, but the absolute deal breaker is the headphone jack is now deeply recessed, requiring the use of the dreaded headphone extension pigtail that should have stayed in the dumpster with the iPhone 3GS. So you get this huge battery pack, which requires a rat tail hanging off the end just so you can use your headphones (Bose QC-15 in this case).

Honestly, they had all this time to design the product, they couldn't have figured out a way to not make you use a headphone extender? They bring back literally the worst Apple accessory yet just to use their product - boy, that takes some design genius.

Getting packed up and shipped back tomorrow. Bummer.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
They could have easily built in a headphone extender cable into the case. I agree it's bad design.

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
They could have easily built in a headphone extender cable into the case. I agree it's bad design.

How about having an indentation or wider hole where the phones could insert without any extension? It's just lazy design and even less forgivable considering everyone hated this when it was an issue on the 3GS like five years ago.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
I am not finding the headphone jack to be an issue unless you are using headphones with a 90 degree jack. The stock earbuds and my klipsch S4I work fine. You can always slide the bottom portion of the case off the phone thread the headphones through the port and into the jack the slide the bottom piece back in place.

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
Are there any iP5 battery cases (currently available or coming soon) that offer a viable alternative to this recessed headphone jack?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Mine Works Perfectly !

I used a Juice Pack on my 4 & 4S, the fit & Finnish were very nice. Ergonomics were comfortable & the extra battery run times were pretty amazing. An essential accessory for my use.

Just took delivery of my new Juice Pack Helium & it's very nicely designed as usual. It's sleek and only a few mm taller due to the iPhone 5's taller profile.

I have no idea why people are complaining about the headphone port. Sure it's a bit different, but so is its location compared to prior iPhones. My headphones work without the extender just fine.

I'm so glad it's finally here, I was running out of juice daily. Now that problem is fixed. For good :D

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Silly complaint.

Just leave the headphones plugged into the extension and pull the whole thing out when not in use.

What's the big deal, you're going to have a headphone cord dangling anyway, so what if it's a little longer.

:rolleyes:

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
This. First world problems I tell ya.

Yeah, I want to pay 80 bucks for a case that makes my 5 as big as a Galaxy, and on top of it have a rigid ribber wire sticking into my leg when the phone's in my pocket. Do you guys actually have the new Juicepack? Somehow I doubt it.

Apple makes a elegantly thin phone and this turns it into a bulky piece of crap with a rubber tail, and oh yeah, it doesn't even have lightning. First world problems my ass, it's a crap design.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, I want to pay 80 bucks for a case that makes my 5 as big as a Galaxy, and on top of it have a rigid ribber wire sticking into my leg when the phone's in my pocket. Do you guys actually have the new Juicepack? Somehow I doubt it.

Apple makes a elegantly thin phone and this turns it into a bulky piece of crap with a rubber tail, and oh yeah, it doesn't even have lightning. First world problems my ass, it's a crap design.

I have it and it's fine. It's not a "rigid" rubber wire.

And the point of it making the phone too big...if you are just looking for a thin case you are not looking for this anyway. If you want the extra battery capacity, then this is what you deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
I have it and it's fine. It's not a "rigid" rubber wire.

And the point of it making the phone too big...if you are just looking for a thin case you are not looking for this anyway. If you want the extra battery capacity, then this is what you deal with.

It's not as flexible as any headphone wire, and surely more rigid than anything someone like you will ever have in their pants.

You seem to be hell bent on defending a really bad feature of the Mophie. Any case that requires an additional wire just to use your headphones sucks ass and is just lazy design. Apple was panned for the recessed headphone jack on the 3G and changed it in future designs to flush - guess you hopped into threads back then to tell everyone how great a feature it was?

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California

Yeah apple makes a nice phone but unfortunately has crap battery which is not user replaceable which is why cases like these are made.

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Yeah apple makes a nice phone but unfortunately has crap battery which is not user replaceable which is why cases like these are made.

Agreed, which is why I ordered it. That's why it's a drag that it requires the pigtail for many headphones, and the switch to micro usb from lightning. It's like they got it about 75% designed and the guys went to lunch.

bananataffy

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
also, why are you incessantly ragging on this case because it's bulky? obviously a case with a built-in battery that's made for the sole purpose of extending battery life is going to add considerable heft to the phone. you can't defeat physics. it's like complaining that the Otterbox Defender is bulky...but obviously people buy it because it's meant to be rugged and protect the phone from nuclear warfare. if you want a slim case, then buy one that doesn't have a battery built into it.

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
also, why are you incessantly ragging on this case because it's bulky? obviously a case with a built-in battery that's made for the sole purpose of extending battery life is going to add considerable heft to the phone. you can't defeat physics. it's like complaining that the Otterbox Defender is bulky...but obviously people buy it because it's meant to be rugged and protect the phone from nuclear warfare. if you want a slim case, then buy one that doesn't have a battery built into it.

The battery bulk is ok and to be expected. The way the top and bottom portions of the case is smart too. But with a case this large, designing it so you're required to use a pigtail for phone is just astoundingly dumb. It makes it way less comfortable to pocket. They could have easily NOT added a deep headphone hole to the case and instead, used less plastic there. The fact that they include the pigtail just shows that they knew ahead of time that they **** the bed.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
It's not as flexible as any headphone wire, and surely more rigid than anything someone like you will ever have in their pants.

You seem to be hell bent on defending a really bad feature of the Mophie. Any case that requires an additional wire just to use your headphones sucks ass and is just lazy design. Apple was panned for the recessed headphone jack on the 3G and changed it in future designs to flush - guess you hopped into threads back then to tell everyone how great a feature it was?

In any case, you're happy with the case, fine, go play in traffic or better yet, post a thread about how much you love it.

I have not seen or used the product so I have no opinion on that matter, I do however have one on your poor attitude. Relax, another user doesn't agree with you.... relax. Headphone issue aside, you are acting like a child complaining of a battery pack making your "iPhone 5 look huge". It's a battery pack what do you expect?

JUSTQUAN

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
No one has pics to display? Tho it's not a deal breaker would like to see it anyway. Also can someone post some battery stats for me because that will be a deal breaker. Mophie has made good products in the past so I want to make sure they are still on track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.