Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:16 PM   #51
carl0sian
macrumors regular

2011 27" quad core 3.4 ghz i7 iMac still popping up occasionally at $1789 refurbished. I think that's a better deal!
carl0sian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:47 PM   #52
buysp
macrumors 6502

Any universal law as to when other countries will start too see iMac (late 2012) pop up in the refurb store?
buysp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:53 PM   #53
plunar
macrumors 6502

am i really the only person that is noticing something.... "off".. about the image of the 27" model posted?
plunar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:56 PM   #54
tazinlwfl
macrumors member

I have one week left until I get my 27" iMac... I'm constantly checking the status hoping it would come early (like my 15" rMBP)...
tazinlwfl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:07 AM   #55
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
i.e. All returns from users that bought them and realised 5400rpm drives are, nowadays, total crap.
iMac's have the guts of a laptop.
bobenhaus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:07 AM   #56
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrode View Post
Obviously the jump from 5400rpm to SSD is huge but is the jump from 5400 to 7200 that big? I've always used a 5400rpm drive but maybe I've been missing out.
There is quite a huge difference between a 5400 RPM 2.5'' laptop drive and a 3.5'' 7200RPM desktop drive. The performance difference, although not as substantial as a SSD. Stuff like Photo editing and video recording especially in HD, is often quite slow and choppy on these slower drives. I had a 5400 drive in my MacBook Pro, upgraded to a Western Digital Scorpio black, the performance difference was substantial.

I also think its quite poor that a computer starting at 1099, doesn't even come with a decent hard drive, its not 2005 anymore. This was one of the many reasons I didn't buy a new iMac and a day after the announcement I bought the previous gen. If I'd have bought the new one to get it with the stuff I wanted, Apple Care, Superdrive, and Firewire it would have cost me almost 1,328. I got the previous gen brand new from stormfront for 978 with Apple care thrown in. The money I saved went towards 32GB RAM for it.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:05 AM   #57
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobenhaus View Post
iMac's have the guts of a laptop.
Not true. iMacs (at least for 27") have Intel quad core desktop processors and desktop-class hard drives not found on the Macbook Pros.
HenryDJP is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:13 AM   #58
robinp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
There isn't bugger all in the UK store as it stands atm.
Sorry, meant generally there was a lot of stuff. Should have been clearer. Ordered a mbpr earlier
robinp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:46 AM   #59
jasimon9
macrumors regular

Amazon and Best Buy too

I noticed that the article said Amazon had some 27 inch in stock. I also noticed that Best Buy has some 27 inch in stock, but the $1999 model. One day shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 1.44.46 AM.png
Views:	46
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	397232  
jasimon9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:12 AM   #60
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Right now I could not be happier with my new 27" iMac, its fast, quite and cool (looking and running) From the front it feels like it should be thicker but it only when you touch the edge it you remember its so thin on the edge.

Mind you I did upgrade from a 2005 G5 tower

ETA - I was down town other day and still amazed at the lack of new 27" iMac's as display models, I guess they point at the 21" and say it's like that but bigger
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:09 AM   #61
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Actually Apple's 5400 rpm drives run quite quickly. They're amongst the fastest in that category.
True, they are quick. They run at around 5400rpm
Jibbajabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:12 AM   #62
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Haha, so am I, but I consider the people (at least me) that frequent tech forums to not be of the "normal everyday" type in terms of computer-buying consumers. For example, I don't read nor post on car forums and when I make my next car purchase I won't be lurking forums. I never have had to and I've always chosen a good quality car by means of other types of research. Once you go on a forum you get locked into people crying and nitpicking over a scratch that they MAY have done on their own but didn't realize it. Then they tell the forums that the manufacturer sends out faulty merchandize all scratched up. Takes the fun out of buying anything these days. Go figure.
I can't disagree with this. you gotta do your own research. More power to you.
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:45 AM   #63
nelmat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarScott View Post
Looked at the new beautifully thin iMacs for my next computer for photography work in Lightroom. But I don't like the fact they only go up to an i5. I think I've settled on the base model MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" with 16GB of RAM. Very powerful laptop...I think I'd like to move away from a fixed desktop setup. I can always get a Cinema Display if I needed extra screen estate.
No, you can go to i7... Not sure how you missed that...
nelmat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:47 AM   #64
Cavepainter
macrumors regular

Quote:
I just love ridiculous posts like this. Gotta love MR for thinking they are Apple's only customers. . Did it ever occur to anyone here that the majority of Apple's customers, maybe, just maybe, are normal everyday people that aren't geeks, they don't give a rats butt about a 5400rpm drive or the GPU, or the SSD vs. the Fusion drive or the fact that screen is molded together? PUULLEESE! Get over yourselves. Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? . I'll bet more people that don't frequent here telling of all their returns/exchanges are getting work done on their iMacs.
Of course. Apple is literally banking on those very customers. Thats why they worked so hard to made the imacs thinner. Form sells as much as function.

Please, take my money.

Never takes more than a few minutes for the Believers to stone to death anyone who dares to want anything at all from one of the most profitable companies in the world. What exactly are you arguing for, anyway? LESS for your money?

Unbelievable- and it shows up in thread after thread after thread on here.
Cavepainter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:53 AM   #65
sofila
macrumors regular

Quote:
Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? .
So I give back a perfectly working computer that I need for my ordinary home-stuff (You just said I'm not a geek, I can't tell differences between blah blah blah) just to wait another couple of months to have a bigger one?
sofila is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:24 AM   #66
Supermule
macrumors regular

Everybody knows thats it's the diameter that counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Samurai View Post
Wrong.

Returns from users who thought the thinness would make an impact on their lives.
Supermule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:47 AM   #67
NumberNine
macrumors regular

Complete joke they offer the 21 inch with a 5400 rpm drive
NumberNine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:13 AM   #68
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by danr_97070 View Post
Since they started welding things shut, I won't be buying another iMac.
Exactly!

Same for MBP's.

While I do not tinker around in my machines, I do want the basics to be accessible.

Basics like memory and hard drives should always be user upgradeable.
I can do without the superdrive. Haven't put a CD/DVD in in ages.

Memory and HD upgrades enable us to stretch the lives of our computers, outwait the next development etc.

Macs hold up well in use and I don't always need the latest.

If Apple goes the path of not even offering one machine with memory and HD access many users will have to leave.

It is just cheaper to buy memory and swap HD's.

For those who say buy built to order: It still makes all choices final and we do not know how much memory and HD space we need in the future.

Already it has become obvious that 64 GB in an iPad or iPhone is not enough.

Same will happen to MBP's etc.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:23 AM   #69
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I switched up from a 5400 to a 7200 and didn't notice anything. If anything, my MBP got slower
Likely that Apple's drivers detected that you had tampered with the machine. Remember that Apple closely integrates their hardware and software. If you start sticking in unapproved hardware willy-nilly, bad things happen. You are always much better off with what Apple gives you than some unreliable third-party hardware.

It always cracks me up when people complain about Apple's prices, buy some el-cheapo piece of crap instead, and then complain. You get what you pay for, people!
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:48 AM   #70
malexandria
macrumors 6502

24 Inch iMac

I wish Apple would release a 24 incher. I think the 21 inch is too small and the 27 too "big."
malexandria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:23 AM   #71
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
A big part of the Apple computer experience is NOT getting caught up in specification figures that are really meaningless in real world applications. That's what Windows machine users do, argue about specs.
If that were the case I'd be typing this on a 2012 Mac Mini right now. But I couldn't buy one b/c it only has Intel graphics. I've been using Macs since 1988. To me the "experience" is not having an interface that gets in the way of my work. But in order to have a good experience my machines need to be able to keep up with software demands. So it's silly to say specs don't matter as a blanket statement.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:35 AM   #72
scottsjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrode View Post
Obviously the jump from 5400rpm to SSD is huge but is the jump from 5400 to 7200 that big? I've always used a 5400rpm drive but maybe I've been missing out.
When I replaced the OEM 5400 RPM drives in my mini and MacBook Pro with WD 750GB Scorpio Black 7200 RPM drives I instantly noticed a difference. They feel more like desktop computers rather than laptop ones.
scottsjack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:45 AM   #73
scottsjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Can you name some real world applications in which specification figures are really meaningless?

Why people buy Mac Pro
Exactly. Mac Pros are so useful. Need more hard drive space? No problem. Want Blu-ray? Easy to install. Have a need for lots of RAM? MP has you covered. Want to use a really good monitor? Ditto.

A Mac Pro is what can be referred to as "a real desktop computer". Most people do not need that kind of machine but for those who do the Mac Pro is Apple's only choice right now.
scottsjack is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 AM   #74
still in school
macrumors 6502

So the early version's didn't have the fusion drive? What about the refurbs? Will the include it?
still in school is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:29 AM   #75
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
SSD really is a huge upgrade though... one of the most user noticeable gains in recent computing imo, but I hear you.

----------

again, SSD is a dramatic upgrade though
Agreed.. I went with SSD for my new 13" MacBook
Four oF NINE is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion