Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
coolmatt
macrumors newbie

FaceTime... @&&@!#?#!!

Hi there,

I am "trying" to use FaceTime on my iMac (2007-2008 ? SL 10.6.8) and I cannot figure out what is going wrong.
I found some tips here and there :

- a list of ports to open : 53, 80, 443, 3478, 3497, 5223, 16384-16472 (UDP)
- DNS to add in my network configuration : 8.8.8.8, 8.8.8.4, 8.8.4.4
- and the search domain to set to my email (which is also my AppleID)

I did all that but it still does not work.

In fact I do not think it is a network issue because LittleSnitch would pop up at connection and ask for permission...

Any ideas ?

M.
coolmatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Is it possible that your upload speeds are having trouble carrying the load.

I FT with a friend in the UK, and his upload speed is only about 2.5 mbs. He has newer equipment, and we always have problems when he uses any device with a hi res camera because his ISP can't handle the upload BB requirements. When he uses a hi res camera, we get freeze ups and drop outs all the time.

I see that you are using an older device without hi res a camera, but I'm suggesting that you check your upload speeds... might be part of the problem.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3
coolmatt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Is it possible that your upload speeds are having trouble carrying the load.

I FT with a friend in the UK, and his upload speed is only about 2.5 mbs. He has newer equipment, and we always have problems when he uses any device with a hi res camera because his ISP can't handle the upload BB requirements. When he uses a hi res camera, we get freeze ups and drop outs all the time.

I see that you are using an older device without hi res a camera, but I'm suggesting that you check your upload speeds... might be part of the problem.
Thanks for your reply Shrink but I am far from having freezes or drop outs... because I just cannot establish any connection. LittleSnitch would tell me.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmatt View Post
Thanks for your reply Shrink but I am far from having freezes or drop outs... because I just cannot establish any connection. LittleSnitch would tell me.
Sorry I was no help...the story of my life.

That pretty much covers my pathetically inadequate technical knowledge.

I hope someone who actually knows something can help you out!!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Ledgem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmatt View Post
In fact I do not think it is a network issue because LittleSnitch would pop up at connection and ask for permission...
So you're saying that Little Snitch isn't popping up any message? Double-check your rules to make sure that you don't have any rules in place that would be getting in the way, or to make it simpler, turn off Little Snitch completely and then try to make a connection.

Do you have an iPhone or an iPad? If so, are you able to make and receive FaceTime calls through it? That can help to determine where the problem is. Have you checked your router settings?
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
blevins321
macrumors 68030

I don't know if this would fix your problem entirely, but the second google DNS that you have listed (8.8.8.4) isn't one that I've heard of. The first and third are what I use.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:04 AM   #7
coolmatt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
So you're saying that Little Snitch isn't popping up any message? Double-check your rules to make sure that you don't have any rules in place that would be getting in the way, or to make it simpler, turn off Little Snitch completely and then try to make a connection.

Do you have an iPhone or an iPad? If so, are you able to make and receive FaceTime calls through it? That can help to determine where the problem is. Have you checked your router settings?
Hi Ledgem,

I already checked LittleSnitch and have no FaceTime rule set (had one but deleted it). I am pretty sure no connection is attempted -(

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store