Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Hi there,

I am "trying" to use FaceTime on my iMac (2007-2008 ? SL 10.6.8) and I cannot figure out what is going wrong.
I found some tips here and there :

- a list of ports to open : 53, 80, 443, 3478, 3497, 5223, 16384-16472 (UDP)
- DNS to add in my network configuration : 8.8.8.8, 8.8.8.4, 8.8.4.4
- and the search domain to set to my email (which is also my AppleID)

I did all that but it still does not work.

In fact I do not think it is a network issue because LittleSnitch would pop up at connection and ask for permission...

Any ideas ?

M.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Is it possible that your upload speeds are having trouble carrying the load.

I FT with a friend in the UK, and his upload speed is only about 2.5 mbs. He has newer equipment, and we always have problems when he uses any device with a hi res camera because his ISP can't handle the upload BB requirements. When he uses a hi res camera, we get freeze ups and drop outs all the time.

I see that you are using an older device without hi res a camera, but I'm suggesting that you check your upload speeds... might be part of the problem.

coolmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Is it possible that your upload speeds are having trouble carrying the load.

I FT with a friend in the UK, and his upload speed is only about 2.5 mbs. He has newer equipment, and we always have problems when he uses any device with a hi res camera because his ISP can't handle the upload BB requirements. When he uses a hi res camera, we get freeze ups and drop outs all the time.

I see that you are using an older device without hi res a camera, but I'm suggesting that you check your upload speeds... might be part of the problem.

Thanks for your reply Shrink but I am far from having freezes or drop outs... because I just cannot establish any connection. LittleSnitch would tell me.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Thanks for your reply Shrink but I am far from having freezes or drop outs... because I just cannot establish any connection. LittleSnitch would tell me.

Sorry I was no help...the story of my life.:p:eek:

That pretty much covers my pathetically inadequate technical knowledge.:(

I hope someone who actually knows something can help you out!!:D

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
In fact I do not think it is a network issue because LittleSnitch would pop up at connection and ask for permission...
So you're saying that Little Snitch isn't popping up any message? Double-check your rules to make sure that you don't have any rules in place that would be getting in the way, or to make it simpler, turn off Little Snitch completely and then try to make a connection.

Do you have an iPhone or an iPad? If so, are you able to make and receive FaceTime calls through it? That can help to determine where the problem is. Have you checked your router settings?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I don't know if this would fix your problem entirely, but the second google DNS that you have listed (8.8.8.4) isn't one that I've heard of. The first and third are what I use.

coolmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
So you're saying that Little Snitch isn't popping up any message? Double-check your rules to make sure that you don't have any rules in place that would be getting in the way, or to make it simpler, turn off Little Snitch completely and then try to make a connection.

Do you have an iPhone or an iPad? If so, are you able to make and receive FaceTime calls through it? That can help to determine where the problem is. Have you checked your router settings?

Hi Ledgem,

I already checked LittleSnitch and have no FaceTime rule set (had one but deleted it). I am pretty sure no connection is attempted -(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.