Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Hi all. I just received the PowerBook G4 I purchased for my father and it is wonderful. It is the one in my sig, 15" 1.67GHz currently using 1GB RAM. I'm surprised how well it runs Leopard, I thought about downgrading it to Tiger when it arrived but I may not need to now.

Anyways, I was wondering what would be the best option to gain the most speed in terms of the hard drive without spending more than what I bought the PowerBook for. :p

I know you can use the CF card + adapter setup, as well as a PATA SSD. Or, I could just purchase a larger HDD as I've heard that larger sizes = faster speeds? I have quite a few SATA HDD's and an SSD but I can't seem to find out any real answers towards which PATA to SATA adapter to use, if they work well, and if they even fit.

So, I would like to hear your opinion on the best (reasonable) method to maximize the HD speeds. I do plan on bumping the RAM to 2GB soon.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Not very, I was thinking 32GB might be okay but 64GB should definitely be fine. My father does not download *anything* and the only thing he may store are pictures.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
It's a good option, I'll definitely keep that bookmarked...I'm most curious about the installation of a SATA drive I guess just because I already have those and just need an adapter, so it would be the cheapest route. But according to old threads some say it'll fit and some say it won't. And the ones who apparently got it to fit did not provide info on what they used...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.