Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:39 PM   #1
frjonah
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to frjonah Send a message via Yahoo to frjonah Send a message via Skype™ to frjonah
Powerline Networking on Mac Pro

Just wanted to give a positive report about a super simple Powerline Network setup to get the web out to my printshop... Wifi broadcast from the house couldn't penetrate the steel building so I picked up a "TRENDnet TPL-406E2K Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit" on a Newegg "Shell Shocker" deal... I was afraid it wouldn't work since I've read reports of Powerline Networking not working on Macs to start with and the printshop is fed power through a subpanel... well, it was 100% plug-and-play and speeds are much better than what I see on my mbp on Wifi.

Here's the link to what I picked up:
TRENDnet TPL-406E2K Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:51 AM   #2
assembled
macrumors regular

since powerline is just Ethernet at each end, it is completely operating system agnostic...
assembled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:15 AM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816

I've been pretty happy with my TrendNET adapters also. I use them to play movies on my BRP downstairs from my NAS upstairs.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:05 AM   #4
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Kind of amusing how they specify a 10/100Mbps port, then quote speeds of "Up to 500Mbps". How does the extra 400Mbps of bandwidth get out.. magic?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:07 AM   #5
VoR
macrumors 6502a

I've got a cheap no-brand set that are the opposite
They're labelled as 1gig power line adapters (the ports are gig) but only operate at 500meg.

They get worryingly hot, but work very reliably at around 200mb with my usage scenario - Infinitely better than the 'expensive' branded netgear ones they replaced.

Last edited by VoR; Feb 18, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
VoR is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Tags
networking, powerline