Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:22 AM   #1
copydeskcat
macrumors regular

Airport Express?

Hi folks,

I have a Mac mini, with several other devices around the house (both wifi and ethernet devices). I access the web via a Virgin Media SuperHub (cable modem/four-port router).

I have a lot of ethernet devices, so I've purchased an 8-port TP-Link router which has DHCP. My plan was to put the Superhub in to "modem mode" and connect it to the TP-Link router - however, the TP-Link doesn't have wifi.

So, I wanted to check with the forum... if I buy an Airport Express and plug it into the TP-Link router, will it give me a wifi network around the home or will I be faced with DHCP issues?

Best,

CDC
copydeskcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:42 AM   #2
garybUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by copydeskcat View Post
Hi folks,

I have a Mac mini, with several other devices around the house (both wifi and ethernet devices). I access the web via a Virgin Media SuperHub (cable modem/four-port router).

I have a lot of ethernet devices, so I've purchased an 8-port TP-Link router which has DHCP. My plan was to put the Superhub in to "modem mode" and connect it to the TP-Link router - however, the TP-Link doesn't have wifi.

So, I wanted to check with the forum... if I buy an Airport Express and plug it into the TP-Link router, will it give me a wifi network around the home or will I be faced with DHCP issues?

Best,

CDC
This is the best way to do it, the superhub is beyond a joke, it's awful... I know I have one. Put it in modem only mode and only Ethernet port 1 is active on the superhub.

Plug this into the tplink wan port. Then plug your airport express into the tplink, in airport express settings just set the Internet mode to off (bridge only) mode, this makes it a access point only + music streaming.
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

One other thing to keep in mind is that the new wifi standards will shortly be ratified...Apple will almost certainly release updated versions of the AE, TC AEBS range of products when it is, so buying now might not n
Be the best move unless you really have to. I'm waiting until the new standard is live...My AE is showing its age a little, but I'm trying to make it last. I will then replace my TC as well.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:07 AM   #4
copydeskcat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybUK View Post
This is the best way to do it, the superhub is beyond a joke, it's awful... I know I have one. Put it in modem only mode and only Ethernet port 1 is active on the superhub.

Plug this into the tplink wan port. Then plug your airport express into the tplink, in airport express settings just set the Internet mode to off (bridge only) mode, this makes it a access point only + music streaming.
Superb - thanks man. Off to the Apple Store I go...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
One other thing to keep in mind is that the new wifi standards will shortly be ratified...Apple will almost certainly release updated versions of the AE, TC AEBS range of products when it is, so buying now might not n
Be the best move unless you really have to. I'm waiting until the new standard is live...My AE is showing its age a little, but I'm trying to make it last. I will then replace my TC as well.
Thanks for this I don't think I can put up with my internet connection shutting down every hour any longer. Need to sort this now, or I'll wreck the joint.

----------

One more question...

Should I download the Airport Express utility now before I start messing around? I'm probably better to, aren't I?
copydeskcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by copydeskcat View Post
Superb - thanks man. Off to the Apple Store I go...

----------

Thanks for this I don't think I can put up with my internet connection shutting down every hour any longer. Need to sort this now, or I'll wreck the joint.

----------

One more question...

Should I download the Airport Express utility now before I start messing around? I'm probably better to, aren't I?

You can...the disks that ship with them will have a slightly older version on them...might as well grab the new one..even if it has been dumbed down for ML

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice