Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I'm not expecting this in the foreseeable future, but does anyone see Apple ever taking this route? I think if they dedicated themselves to a project like this for five or ten years they could create something extraordinary. Also, what features/functionality/design would you expect to see in an iCar? At what price point? :apple:

110422_applecar1.jpg

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
Nice picture. An Apple iCar would be much different than that though. Only one button and no steering wheel. Probably no pedals either. Can only be driven on iRoads.

"Turn right at the second exit on the roundabout, Siri"
"Do you want to call Rajesh Koothrapali?"

I would think they'd make it a mobile working environment rather than a transportation method to get to work.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice image, but never. The cost to design, manufacture and sell a car is so high that you'll not get a return on your investment for decades.

Apple would need to create a dealership network, train mechanics, salesmen. They would need to find someone to make the car for them or create new factories.

If you remember GM, they sold the Saturn line to Roger Penske (indy car racing fame) and he was trying to do just that except he already had the dealership chains in place. He contracted with another car maker (unnamed) but that fell through and the Saturn brand is no more.

Its a cool picture as I said but there's really no money to be made in this sector.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I appreciate the compliments but I didn't create that picture (via Google images). I definitely don't think that's what it'd look like either I just wanted a nice visual to go along with my post. :D

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I appreciate the compliments but I didn't create that picture (via Google images). I definitely don't think that's what it'd look like either I just wanted a nice visual to go along with my post. :D

apple-car.jpg
appleicar.jpg
imove+concept+car+inspired+by+apple-001.jpg

Extremely ugly imo. Interior is pretty nice though.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
How much do you guys think Apple would charge for an iCar? Of course, we'd need to know what kind of features, etc. it had but what kind of estimate would you give?

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
How much do you guys think Apple would charge for an iCar? Of course, we'd need to know what kind of features, etc. it had but what kind of estimate would you give?

About 12 times what an average car with the same capability would be and then you would only be able to get whatever kind of fuel it ran on from Apple.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
And an Apple Genius will fix your car! You can also download an app that can make your car run faster!

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
And an Apple Genius will fix your car! You can also download an app that can make your car run faster!

But the genius people don't fix stuff. They poke at it and say...."yep, it's not working right." and then give you a new one. That could be cool with a car.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Nice image, but never. The cost to design, manufacture and sell a car is so high that you'll not get a return on your investment for decades.

Apple would need to create a dealership network, train mechanics, salesmen. They would need to find someone to make the car for them or create new factories.

If you remember GM, they sold the Saturn line to Roger Penske (indy car racing fame) and he was trying to do just that except he already had the dealership chains in place. He contracted with another car maker (unnamed) but that fell through and the Saturn brand is no more.

Its a cool picture as I said but there's really no money to be made in this sector.

Agreed. However, I could see Apple someday providing some of the entertainment features in cars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.